Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Blackandwhite

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Yeah, that link is helpful. Those are nice looking wheels, I love the dark finish (but I am biased). I also know a little bit about brand new Camaros and wanting everything new for it (I've bought 2 in the last 12 months), so I understand your thought process.

I'd go with 275/40/20's all around and be done with it. I would think a 34+mm offset should be fine. If you are still not sure, why don't you create a thread in the Wheels&Tire section of the forum, you might have some more luck over there.
Yeah, i'm jealous of the ZL1. And i might just in case, i mean. I'd rather spend more money to make things nicer you know? and i love black myself. And from what i'm reading, alot of people do 275/40/20's all the way around.
Blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
You have to buy the wheel with the correct offset built into it

If you are buying a replica SS wheel however, that isn't likely to be an issue.
Well i hope so, thing is, i do have an LS and i'm not sure how different the offsets are because i can't find it. I'm not sure if that would be a conflict or not, i'm pretty dumb.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandwhite View Post
Yeah, i'm jealous of the ZL1. And i might just in case, i mean. I'd rather spend more money to make things nicer you know? and i love black myself. And from what i'm reading, alot of people do 275/40/20's all the way around.
It all boils down to:

A) Buy a set for a great deal off of another Camaro.

You cannot rotate tires though. If that doesn't matter to you, then this is by far the most affordable route.

B) Buy a set for a great deal off of another Camaro.

Sell/trade the back wheels and tires to someone who wants them for the front of his SS, take his front wheels for the back of your car. Kind of a royal pain (and can you run the rears all the way around?)

C) Pick out your own wheels in a setup that you can rotate for longevity, then pick out a tire that is better than the stock Pirellis. Sell your stockers to recoup a couple bucks.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well i hope so, thing is, i do have an LS and i'm not sure how different the offsets are because i can't find it. I'm not sure if that would be a conflict or not, i'm pretty dumb.
Dumb would be to not ask questions. It doesn't matter if it's an LS. The 20x9 wheels with a 34mm+ offset and the previously mentioned tires pretty much works across the board on any model.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Blackandwhite

Quote:
It all boils down to:

A) Buy a set for a great deal off of another Camaro.

You cannot rotate tires though. If that doesn't matter to you, then this is by far the most affordable route.

B) Buy a set for a great deal off of another Camaro.

Sell/trade the back wheels and tires to someone who wants them for the front of his SS, take his front wheels for the back of your car. Kind of a royal pain (and can you run the rears all the way around?)

C) Pick out your own wheels in a setup that you can rotate for longevity, then pick out a tire that is better than the stock Pirellis. Sell your stockers to recoup a couple bucks.
I think it's always safe to have 4 rotatable wheels lol, so i'll probably go with the same tires all around and i'll find a way to sell my tires and rims.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Dumb would be to not ask questions. It doesn't matter if it's an LS. The 20x9 wheels with a 34mm+ offset and the previously mentioned tires pretty much works across the board on any model.
Well thats good, then the replica rims should have the offset built in correct?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Hello blackandwhite! First off, welcome to the forum!

Now, onto your question. I know the mentality that you want everything new since it's your first brand new car. I too had that mentality at the beginning. But sometimes its better to buy slightly used and save a ton of money. The rims you are inquiring about I actually have some experience with because a buddy of mine who also has a brand new ls got those exact ones. I don't remember the size of the wheel but I do know that he ended up going with a 255 size tire all around. Now, I would probably advise you that if you would look past the new part, you could get a great deal buying from a reputable member around you or here. Reason I say this is simple. My friend ended up paying about 1750 out the door for the rims and tires. The tires were the expensive part. You could easily find a nice set of the ss stock wheels for about 1000 and in really nice condition. You'd save 700 dollars and get some great tires to go along with them. Then, if you wanted them black. You could simply either plasti dip them to be matte like the ones you're buying or powdercoat for another color or gloss black and still spend less than buying the other ones.

Just a thought.

P.S. Another thing is you could look for some take offs and those are basically new wheels with like a few hundred miles on them if anything.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Talk to the guys a dicount tires, would think they should be the ones with all the answers.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Hello blackandwhite! First off, welcome to the forum!

Now, onto your question. I know the mentality that you want everything new since it's your first brand new car. I too had that mentality at the beginning. But sometimes its better to buy slightly used and save a ton of money. The rims you are inquiring about I actually have some experience with because a buddy of mine who also has a brand new ls got those exact ones. I don't remember the size of the wheel but I do know that he ended up going with a 255 size tire all around. Now, I would probably advise you that if you would look past the new part, you could get a great deal buying from a reputable member around you or here. Reason I say this is simple. My friend ended up paying about 1750 out the door for the rims and tires. The tires were the expensive part. You could easily find a nice set of the ss stock wheels for about 1000 and in really nice condition. You'd save 700 dollars and get some great tires to go along with them. Then, if you wanted them black. You could simply either plasti dip them to be matte like the ones you're buying or powdercoat for another color or gloss black and still spend less than buying the other ones.

Just a thought.

P.S. Another thing is you could look for some take offs and those are basically new wheels with like a few hundred miles on them if anything.
I mean, i do like the brand new mentality because i'm not a cheap person i guess. I know the tires would be the expensive part. And i did just buy some plasti dip. Thing is i'm pretty new and i'm not really good and know any extra details. If i come across a really nice deal for rims and they aren't scratched up and they come with the wheels with all the same size tires and such, i'd probably be real interested.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Talk to the guys a dicount tires, would think they should be the ones with all the answers.
I did on the phone for a bit, but not to this extent. I feel like you guys are better mechanics and wouldn't try to go for a rip off deal you know?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
Being a New Yawker your gonna need your original wheels & tires for winter,& the 20's for summer
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Discount Tire has that deal where they price match. I'll ask my buddy where he got the best deal for his and they will price match that. They will let you know what tires will fit in what sizes and you can pick your tires from there and know they will fit.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Blackandwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrocket View Post
Being a New Yawker your gonna need your original wheels & tires for winter,& the 20's for summer
Haha i know my dude, i'm waiting for winter to finish on up and use up these tires pretty good because i'm pretty much set on getting all new, same size tires with those rims, for now anyway. I like to be ahead of the game
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
I did on the phone for a bit, but not to this extent. I feel like you guys are better mechanics and wouldn't try to go for a rip off deal you know?
Click on "wiki" at top of page then hit "wheels and tires" it gives you the offsets you need.

Tags
confused, offset, rims, tires