Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
supasport

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
How does this sound?

i know a local place here in garwood, NJ called "cartech" and this guy specializes really well in camaro's, trans ams, and vettes. He's really famous and has 7 second built cars all over the place.
I took a ride over there and i've been interested in getting a tune mainly for these two reasons:
1. Air flow meter or VVT(are they the same thing?) is ANNOYING AS HELL...........i can feel it with my headers and exhaust it sounds like a old fart going.
2. I want my car tuned for better performance.

So long story short..he gave me a price of 670$ for a dyno tune. He said he's going to tune the car so my engine light turns off and also delete the VVT. Now i was thinking... if i can just buy me a diablosport tuner for less than 300$ why am i going to spend double and some for a tune i can NOT turn off?

What do you guys think i should do? I think 670$ is BIZZARE.... i know they are specialized in this really well but i think its still insane.
supasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
$670 is outrageous, for a tune. I'm one who prefers an in person custom tune either on a dyno, or on the street rather than using the "canned" tunes with the handheld tuners. With that said, I'd NEVER spend $670 on a tune.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
supasport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
$670 is outrageous, for a tune. I'm one who prefers an in person custom tune either on a dyno, or on the street rather than using the "canned" tunes with the handheld tuners. With that said, I'd NEVER spend $670 on a tune.
i knew i wasn't crazy......
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasport View Post
i knew i wasn't crazy......
I mean, if he's a VERY busy person and he usually only works on crazy custom cars I guess I can understand it but for you its way too much.

If you want the handheld tuner. Check these. Its $399 and it includes a custom tune for you.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/sct-x...10-camaro.html
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
supasport

Quote:
I mean, if he's a VERY busy person and he usually only works on crazy custom cars I guess I can understand it but for you its way too much.

If you want the handheld tuner. Check these. Its $399 and it includes a custom tune for you.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/sct-x...10-camaro.html
i need help understanding the difference between handheld tuners and custom tuners.. can they delete the VVT AFM? and are the results the same?
also who would i go to to do this?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I dont care how good you are. If you are tuning for most standard bolt ons, there is only so much you can do anyhow.
$400 is about the norm for a good dyno.
And Jannetty Racing seems to corner the market on the hand held stuff.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
supasport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I dont care how good you are. If you are tuning for most standard bolt ons, there is only so much you can do anyhow.
$400 is about the norm.
dont get me wrong, if it was 400 i'd pay him right away. people are telling me that they wont go wrong because they know how to tune these cars with their eyes closed. but also, i really don't feel like getting ripped for a tune
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
i need help understanding the difference between handheld tuners and custom tuners.. can they delete the VVT AFM? and are the results the same?
also who would i go to to do this?
Yes, it can delete that. I believe handheld tuners and custom tuners are one in the same. You use the handheld tuner, to upload the custom tune to your car.

If you went to a shop to do a tune. They would use a program rather than a handheld tuner. It accomplishes the same thing but with more detail.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There are many shops that can tune the LSx motors in their sleep. I'd shop around.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
way too much for a tune, wow
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Quote:
dont get me wrong, if it was 400 i'd pay him right away. people are telling me that they wont go wrong because they know how to tune these cars with their eyes closed. but also, i really don't feel like getting ripped for a tune
If they can tune it with their eyes closed, it should be cheap not expensive.

LS tuning is easy, theres tons of shops around.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
supasport

Quote:
If they can tune it with their eyes closed, it should be cheap not expensive.

LS tuning is easy, theres tons of shops around.
here in NJ i dont think so :/
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
VictorDelDuca

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS 6M
Not sure exactly where you are, but TuneTime Performance in Toms River charges around $500 I believe and Matt knows his stuff. He's very well known for tuning TBSS's and Camaro's as well as G8's, ect. He did my headers on my TBSS. Had I known about him at the time I got my tune from Vector I would have went with a dyno tune from Matt and I still consider having him do it now to try and squeeze a few more drops out of the truck... unfortunately I blew my trans in the TBSS this weekend so that will be out of the question for a little while. The only reason I haven't had him tune my Camaro is because I have so few miles on it and I have 2nd gear grind and don't want GM to have any excuse to void my power-train warranty.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think you might be confusing VVT with AFM (active fuel management). When AFM kicks in and out, it sounds like the car is farting. It's awful. VVT is a good thing.

Unless you have a shop nearby that you trust, here's what I would do. Google Jannetty Racing, or PM Ted on here. Get the SCT tuner and Ted will email you a custom tune for your car. He turns off AFM, tunes the tranny, optimizes mods and a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about. Trust me, your car will thank you for it

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote