Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
You'd think so, but it seems that a lot of people don't 'get it'. Just wait, as soon as the 1/4 times show that it's slower than a ZL1, people are going to start talking about what a 'ripoff' the Z/28 is when they can get a ZL1 that is 'faster' and cheaper..... Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm probably right...
Most likely you are wrong
How GM would charge more for less , they can try , but I think they will be in for a surprise .
Regarding performance , GM has to keep some cards in the sleeve
About 18 months after they bring the Z/28 back out , they will bring an updated newer version with another 80+ HP , and there we go again , and again
One can never bring all the cards at once , it's not a good thing !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
A half to .75seconds behind a ZL-1.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I'm more interested in it's lap times....
No sh*t. Z/28 1/4 mi times: Boring.

Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, VIR, now those are times that show the engineering that went into the car and ones I look forward to learning.

And most critical- can it hold up to do it all day, day after day?

#74 on my Z/28 list of important facts: drag racing performance.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
87GNX

Drives: Alot
12.5 in the 1/4
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
How GM would charge more for less , they can try , but I think they will be in for a surprise .
Regarding performance , GM has to keep some cards in the sleeve
About 18 months after they bring the Z/28 back out , they will bring an updated newer version with another 80+ HP , and there we go again , and again
One can never bring all the cards at once , it's not a good thing !!!
If you really think they are charging more for less, especially if the z/28 runs slower than a zl1 in the 1/4 mile, then count yourself in the group that doesn't 'get it'.

There are reasons why I don't think a supercharger should and would be added. A supercharger will add heat, weight, and complexity. Three things you don't want in a car that will be tracked heavily, and that you want to be reliable in terms of power and consistency. You also want minimal points of failure. Most buyers are amateurs, and we don't want to worry about overheat and failure issues. We just want to drive on track
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.

This car is a hunter; a production car killer. In the hands of a skilled driver it's going to terrorize production cars everywhere. Most drivers will lose their courage before this car will lose it's ability to perform. It's pretty much going to become THE car to have for HPDE, club events and track days. I can't wait to see the legend it creates for itself on the semi-pro/pro circuit. Nothing in this paragraph has or will have anything to do with 1/4 mile times.

Stingrays and Z/28s at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring....there are some serious Chevy racing glory days just up ahead.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.

This car is a hunter; a production car killer. In the hands of a skilled driver it's going to terrorize production cars everywhere. Most drivers will lose their courage before this car will lose it's ability to perform. It's pretty much going to become THE car to have for HPDE, club events and track days. I can't wait to see the legend it creates for itself on the semi-pro/pro circuit. Nothing in this paragraph has or will have anything to do with 1/4 mile times.

Stingrays and Z/28s at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring....there are some serious Chevy racing glory days just up ahead.
I don't think that's the question, Doc. The Z/28 at the 1/4 is not the be-all end-all question... just a simple query by the OP on what it can do in the 1/4 and it's not taking away at all from its primary objective and principal intent for use--> at the road course/track/circuit. So in the spirit of the OP's question, let's keep the context within the OP's scope... @ what do you think it can do in the 1/4 mile strip? We all know the Z/28 is going to surprise many highline manufacturers once the track times are tested & revealed.
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
I don't think that's the question, Doc. The Z/28 at the 1/4 is not the be-all end-all question... just a simple query by the OP on what it can do in the 1/4 and it's not taking away at all from its primary objective and principal intent for use--> at the road course/track/circuit. So in the spirit of the OP's question, let's keep the context within the OP's scope... @ what do you think it can do in the 1/4 mile strip? We all know the Z/28 is going to surprise many highline manufacturers once the track times are tested & revealed.
Yes.

The magazines will do the usual test including 0-60, 1/4 time & mph, 60-0, etc. it will be interesting. I think it will perform quite well in all test. I'd love to see a less than 100' 60-0.

P.S. for those so freaked out about weight, Al O. said around the track (I guess where they were testing) removing 250 lbs. from the Camaro resulted in only a 1 second gain. He said wayyyyyy more was gained from better braking, handling and power. Yes weight is the enemy, but it can be subdued.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
You can already guess based on hp, weight and gearing that it would do low 12's maybe high 11's but so what? Asking what a Z will do in the 1/4 is like asking how many free throws a baseball pitcher can make on the basketball court; it just doesn't fit. With all due respect it doesn't matter what it can do in the 1/4 because it's not going to be seen or used in the 1/4. It's not designed for that; Chevy already has the COPO and ZL1 that are designed to compete there. If anybody is interested in a 1/4 mile car they won't be buying this car. Those who can afford to spend $70k and will buy a Z/28 are either collectors or plan to run it on road courses.

Nothing against the OP but understanding what this car is really about has nothing to do with 1/4 mile and everything to do with the average lap speeds at tracks where we already have those statistics for the cars the Z is going to be competing against. And in that regard I have a feeling this car is going to embarrass foreign maker cars that cost considerably more.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
All cars are measured by the same stats. Therefore the 0-60 and 1/4 Time & MPH are important for comparisons. The Z/28 will highly excel in slalom and G's. I personally think it will do exrremely well in all catagories.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Sticking to the question I'll say mid 12's. Ill say Gen 5 camaros 1/4 #'s don't really impress me bone stock . They do come alive with the right modifications and do belive , theirs fans waiting to put their hands to the z/28 for 1/4 mile purpose including myself. So forgive me if I missed the part about it being a circuit "lap" car . The z/28 is gonna draw a lot of interest once it's posted on YouTube punching lower 9 numbers saying ,hey circut guys ,look at what we did . This to me is kissing the "ghost". Make ur freaking hair stand up!!
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #26

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'm gonna concede this one to the track guys...lol...I'd love to see the results of a lighter weight, LS7 powered Camaro on the quarter mile...I think that's what the curiosity is...but you won't need a Z/28 to get that...For all I know they're already out there, custom built, home built, whatever...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
That's right build it to my specs!!!^^^^
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.
I agree.

The auto enthusiast magazines will likely run the Z/28 in the quarter mile as part of their perfunctory testing, but as most of us know the Z/28 was not designed for quarter mile racing. In fact, according to GM to preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28 and to save weight, the Z/28 doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing. Accordingly, I doubt there will be many, if any, Z/28 owners who will participate in quarter mile racing with the Z/28. Therefore, as many have indicated, the quarter mile times and speed that the Z/28 can achieve are not likely to be particularly relevant to most Z/28 owners.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote