Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Limited Slip Differential?

Does anyone know what type of diff we will get? Clutch pac, cone or gear type?
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
Does anyone know what type of diff we will get? Clutch pac, cone or gear type?
I bet it'll be an Eaton clutch-type. Gear is too noisy and do they even use the cone-type anymore? I honestly don't know though - I'm taking a stab in the dark. I'm just hoping for a 14-bolt 9.5" ring gear that's been speculated since the Spring. The current 8.75" isn't bad, but that +4000 pound 580 horse' beast is really going to need some girth to survive all those 4K launches on a prep'd track!

I thought I'd leave a few pics' of the diff' from the Plant Tour this past Spring:
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Although not the greatest the cone type was used on the '04-'06 GTO. Gears may be a bit noisy however they are less maintenance over the long haul.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
payne.jeremy82

Drives: 2002 Lifted Trailblazer
I will be having this 9.5" unit from Lingenfelter installed it has a Tractite Helical Gear Limited Slip Carrier it also comes with 1400HP axles but the stock ones should work
Attached Images

payne.jeremy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
Although not the greatest the cone type was used on the '04-'06 GTO. Gears may be a bit noisy however they are less maintenance over the long haul.
AH!!! THANKS!!! The last car I noticed had a cone-type was 3rd Gen Firechicken, I think... Thanks for getting me up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne.jeremy82 View Post
I will be having this 9.5" unit from Lingenfelter installed it has a Tractite Helical Gear Limited Slip Carrier it also comes with 1400HP axles but the stock ones should work
I had been looking at that since it was teased a while ago. While I'm not trying to take anything away from Lingenfelter, ZL1 will come with a strengthened iron differential case, and I'd seen the mention of a 14-bolt from the factory tours. AAM, who makes Lingenfelter's diff', is generally the same company that GM uses for a lot of their SRAs. If you look for reference to 14-bolt ring gear sizes, they start as much as 9.5" in diameter. These were used in "heavy" half-tons and "light" three-quarter ton trucks 14-bolts go as high as 10.5" in diameter if I remember correctly, so if we see a 9.5" in ZL1, I'm not certain, unless your power/performance goals were astronomical, that many things outside of bushing, rear diff' cover (like LPW), and axle upgrades may be necessary. I definately like Lingenfelter's case is aluminum though. Looking at all the ribbing, I'm certain it's strong as Heck, and if they use this monster in their LS9-car, then I know it's plenty strong, lol. +1200 RWHP with N20 and a stick ain't doing any favors to that rear, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Jeff@Lingenfelter

Drives: 1966 Chevy II/1968 Camaro
Thanks for the comments on our Diff guys. It will be very interesting to get one of the ZL1s and weigh their iron diff in comparison to our Aluminum version to see the differences.
Jeff@Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Lingenfelter View Post
Thanks for the comments on our Diff guys. It will be very interesting to get one of the ZL1s and weigh their iron diff in comparison to our Aluminum version to see the differences.
If I may - I respectfully wanted to say again that the differential you developed is certainly stout and an excellent product. I wasn't trying to take anything away from you guys. I'm a huge fan, and have been since I started appreciating cars

Are you guys using the same differential AAM puts in the trucks? I was just curious

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Jeff@Lingenfelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
If I may - I respectfully wanted to say again that the differential you developed is certainly stout and an excellent product. I wasn't trying to take anything away from you guys. I'm a huge fan, and have been since I started appreciating cars

Are you guys using the same differential AAM puts in the trucks? I was just curious
We appreciate that!

No this is not the same differential. The LPE differential is a unique piece that we have done the R&D in conjunction with the manufacturer.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
We appreciate that!

No this is not the same differential. The LPE differential is a unique piece that we have done the R&D in conjunction with the manufacturer.
NICE!!! If that's the same diff' in your LS9 car, I'm SOLD!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Jeff@Lingenfelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
NICE!!! If that's the same diff' in your LS9 car, I'm SOLD!!!
Yes the prototype this diff was based off of is in the LS9 Black car.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Yes the prototype this diff was based off of is in the LS9 Black car.
For those that don't happen to know, this +1200 RWHP car is the first 5th Gen in the 8s. That says something about this particular diff's strength.

Okay - I'm done now

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

OMAD !!!

(Oh My Auto Deity)

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Exclamation WARNING...FOOT PROBLEMS MAY PERSIST.

kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #14
cyrusthevirus

Drives: 2009 chevy cobalt ss, 1989 Iroc-z
i heard that the diff in the ss model have had problems with it breaking at my local track. Is this a def that the zl1 will have a different diff? Bc this car is going to be a major torque monkey
cyrusthevirus is offline   Reply With Quote