Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Autopia Car Care Polish Comparison Chart

Autopia-CarCare Polish Comparison Chart.

Here is THE UPDATED polish chart designed for reference only to compare polishes carried by Autopia Car Care and other popular brands. There are many factors that constitute how a particular polish will work.

Click here for 1400 Pixel Wide Hi-Res Chart.
Click here for 1000 Pixel Wide Med-Res Chart
Click here for 800 Pixel Wide Med-Res Chart

Below is the 800 Pixel Wide Low-Res Chart. (click the tab above the picture to see the full 800 pixel wide size)

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I had no idea Meguiar's has so many products across the spectrum, interesting. Is there any reason to ever need anything more than an aggressive, medium and fine polish? It seems like everything inbetween can be done using a combination of these. Any reason why you left Adam's out? They're certainly popular here, no plans to ever distribute their products?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Wow, this is awesome.

Thank you for sharing this!!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I had no idea Meguiar's has so many products across the spectrum, interesting. Is there any reason to ever need anything more than an aggressive, medium and fine polish? It seems like everything inbetween can be done using a combination of these. Any reason why you left Adam's out? They're certainly popular here, no plans to ever distribute their products?
All paint conditions are unique, not to mention the paint systems themselves are unique, not to mention that individual techniques are different. While many car forums have their favorites (go to the CorvetteForum and you will find Pinnacle and BLACKFIRE highly regarded as the best for example) the truth is that there are a lot of great products. Autopia-CarCare caters to the super enthusiast and we only stock products that meet their expectations.

Generally a compound, medium, and fine cut polish are all that you need, but because each paint reacts differently and because each user has individual technique, you will find that everybody has their favorites.

Meguiar's has a lot of compounds and polishes because they cater to the professional market, body shops and detail shops. Once body shops find something that works they are reluctant to change. As technology moves forward, new products are launched, but in the professional market, many will not switch. You end up with a lot of over lap, but each product still has a unique process and feel. 3M is like this also.

This chart is made up of only the brands we currently stock and sell. If you would like to see particular brands at out store let us know, and let the manufacturer know. Our goal is to carry the highest quality brands for our customers and offer the best value and price we can. Sometimes it doesn't make business sense for one reason or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David79z28 View Post
Wow, this is awesome.

Thank you for sharing this!!!
You are very welcome!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
That's pretty helpful...thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Rangore

One Meguir's I don't see is the NXT line...where would that fall?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
One Meguir's I don't see is the NXT line...where would that fall?
NXT doesn't have a dedicated polish.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Rangore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
NXT doesn't have a dedicated polish.
Sorry if a noob question....what does that mean? I thought it was just another product of Meguiar's?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
All paint conditions are unique, not to mention the paint systems themselves are unique, not to mention that individual techniques are different. While many car forums have their favorites (go to the CorvetteForum and you will find Pinnacle and BLACKFIRE highly regarded as the best for example) the truth is that there are a lot of great products. Autopia-CarCare caters to the super enthusiast and we only stock products that meet their expectations.

Generally a compound, medium, and fine cut polish are all that you need, but because each paint reacts differently and because each user has individual technique, you will find that everybody has their favorites.

Meguiar's has a lot of compounds and polishes because they cater to the professional market, body shops and detail shops. Once body shops find something that works they are reluctant to change. As technology moves forward, new products are launched, but in the professional market, many will not switch. You end up with a lot of over lap, but each product still has a unique process and feel. 3M is like this also.

This chart is made up of only the brands we currently stock and sell. If you would like to see particular brands at out store let us know, and let the manufacturer know. Our goal is to carry the highest quality brands for our customers and offer the best value and price we can. Sometimes it doesn't make business sense for one reason or another.

You are very welcome!
Todd,

I'm really digging the idea of the Optimum spray polishes with the microfiber pads, looking at the chart I don't see the one that is the fine finishing polish. I only see the medium cut and heavy cut, am I reading something wrong? Who makes the microfiber pads that you sell? I have a feeling some of those might be in my future!

Thanks,

Chad
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
Sorry if a noob question....what does that mean? I thought it was just another product of Meguiar's?
Polishes are usually (not always) defined as a abrasive liquids that are used to remove defects from paint. They don't have any protective (wax or paint sealant) qualities.

More aggressive polishes are usually called compounds, they are used to remove heavy scratches and heavily weathered paint. Medium polishes are used to remove swirl marks and towel scratches. Fine polishes are used as a last step to level the paint mirror smooth for maximum gloss and shine.

NXT doesn't have a polish. Rather it has a sealant (called Tech-Wax) and several cleaners.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Todd,

I'm really digging the idea of the Optimum spray polishes with the microfiber pads, looking at the chart I don't see the one that is the fine finishing polish. I only see the medium cut and heavy cut, am I reading something wrong? Who makes the microfiber pads that you sell? I have a feeling some of those might be in my future!

Thanks,

Chad
Hi Chad,

This chart only covers how aggressive (how much polishing power) the product has, it doesn't really cover how well something finishes.

Optimum Hyper Spray Polish can actually do some fairly serious polishing, on this scale I rated it a 5, yet it has the ability to finish as well as finishing polish.

Both Meguiar's and Optimum make microfiber pads.