Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
Thumbs down BiG Top GT screwed me over- beware

In the past 10 plus months I have been trying to get several carbon fiber parts from Big Top GT, who I was told was the man when it came to Carbon Fiber stuff. I have gotten nothing but excuses but no Carbon Fiber. Last year I contacted this company and sent them a set of engine covers that he was going to use to make a mold. After several months I finally got the covers back and they were destroyed but never got the CF covers. I was told it shipped several times and when I never received them I was told, oh we sent them to the wrong address. I am so pissed off so I finally asked for my money back and I am not sure if I will even get that. I have every text message from last year to prove what I am saying. I am just wondering If i am the only person to get screwed by this company? Why can't people just man up and do what they promise!
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
TT Steedy-Ed.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknight11 View Post
In the past 10 plus months I have been trying to get several carbon fiber parts from Big Top GT, who I was told was the man when it came to Carbon Fiber stuff. I have gotten nothing but excuses but no Carbon Fiber. Last year I contacted this company and sent them a set of engine covers that he was going to use to make a mold. After several months I finally got the covers back and they were destroyed but never got the CF covers. I was told it shipped several times and when I never received them I was told, oh we sent them to the wrong address. I am so pissed off so I finally asked for my money back and I am not sure if I will even get that. I have every text message from last year to prove what I am saying. I am just wondering If i am the only person to get screwed by this company? Why can't people just man up and do what they promise!

This happened to me several times as well. These guys are also known as G3 Composites. Same story as yours to the tee.Tried to buy a CF shifter bezel which they said were in stock only to wait three months for this very crap to start happening. First it was wrong part (auto instead of manual) then wrong address, then it was post office, then it was sickness, then it was...

I just tried to buy another guys CF parts that they made and did not ship to him because he had changed direction but already had the parts made. He tried to have the parts directly shipped to me and the same BS happened all over again except now it was the seller being told these stories.

I got my money back both times (guy on C5 here was a real stand up guy and gave me the refund even though he doesn't have the parts either) it took a month for G3 to send me the refund. Overall it was a four month effort. Ridiculous. A case where he has outgrown his ability to support his customers.

HE HAS BEEN MEASURED,WEIGHED and FOUND WANTING!

Last edited by gr8daneh; 08-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
gr8daneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
It's sad to see that this is Alan's MO. I am in the same boat as you guys, except that I actually received my part today. I ordered a CF ZL1 spoiler from him in October 2012, and I received it today. The finish was hazy and blemished, the holes for my third brake light weren't drilled at all (4 holes), the studs didn't line up to the factory holes, and after I drilled into my trunk lid to get the holes to line up, the studs broke loose inside the spoiler! It's stuck on my car until I figure out a way to remove the nuts without damaging the surface of the trunk lid. What a nightmare!

Throughout these 10 months I have exchanged over 85 emails, dozens of text messages, and several phone calls with Alan. It was the same story I keep hearing from others. Same as yours. It's sad that this is how he runs his business. He really seems like a nice guy. Now I don't know what to believe. And I actually feel like I've been conned.

Until now, I had at least heard his quality was top-notch, even if he was slow. After today, I can't believe that either.

I am sending my spoiler back. I don't want it fixed, I just want my money back. Hopefully that will happen. We will see.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Big Top Gt
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2010 2SS/RS (LS3)
Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt Send a message via Skype™ to Big Top Gt
I can't tell you how absolutely disappointed I am by this thread.

As I've maintained throughout: we're a small company experiencing serious growing pains, so while I understand it's frustrating, and in that you're not alone, what you're doing now is nothing short of inflammatory and dishonest.

Whether we've had shipping issues or some manufacturing challenges, which have affected more than yourself, the one thing that's always been a constant is that I've never run from any one and always respond to calls, texts, and emails.

My mistake is in share what I know as I know it, son when things change, we are both affected.

Now, after we've spoken and I've agreed to return your money, INCLUDING the $75 you said it cost to clean up your original engine covers, what you have conveniently left out is that I offered to send you the parts anyway, at no charge, you're telling people I screwed you over?

Wow. So, obviously that offer is no longer on the table.

So here's what I'm going to do, Randy. I'm going to give you back exactly the amount of money you sent me as a deposit.

We can part company as people who shard an unfortunate customer service experience and you can find another carbon supplier.

As a carbon company, I'm in relatively rare air. What I constantly remind people is exactly how difficult it is to get a company like this not only off the ground, but also sustain it over the long haul.

It should call attention to the fact that of the people who have tried, only a total of MAYBE five significant carbon companies remain/survive in the market.

Anyone want to guess why that is?

Because custom made products that require an incredible amount of time and hand labor to get right. So, companies that come and go run afoul by taking huge deposits and running out of money.

So, I have two choices: I allow pressure to ship push me to shipping a part, like Mattos spoiler, before I'm completely satisfied and would be willing to put it on my own car, or I take the time to get it right no matter the cost.

Which is the lesser of two Evil's?

For us, It looks like we've got it figured out. Sure, we still have a little but of a production speed challenge we face every day, but within the last two weeks I hired two new employees for a total of five, so everything speeds up moving forward.

Lastly, and I'm a little angry given what I feel to be a deliberately hurtful posting, I find it further disappointing to see how much of the detail you've left out.

Like what you paid for then work, in exchange for developing use.

I can pull your invoice, but you paid approximately $250 for a part we'll sell for $800. I also didn't ask you to help carry the $1000+ cost of making the required molds for what was, and still is right at this second, a one off project.

For $250.

So Randy, with all due respect to your "getting screwed", I just don't see it.

I'm on vacation and out of the country, which you both know, until the 20th. Once I return, I'll await Matt spoiler to return and I'll send you back your deposit. (independently of course.)

We're slow, folks. It's a byproduct of what we manufacture. No matter what, no one, and I mean NO ONE, "gets screwed".

If anyone has any individual questions, please feel free to post them here, text me, email me, or send me a private message.

I'm not running from anyone and am not trying to hide anything, either. I'm here to help and share what we do.

Thanks,
Alan
Big Top Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
AntiPriuSS

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have alot of parts on my car from Alan at G3 Composites. I started buying stuff from him in November of last year and made purchases just as recently as July of this year. He has always been strait forward with me worked with me and has been one of the best vendors I have worked with on my car. If / when I have had a problem with something he has worked with me to make it right yes it has taken longer to get a product that I am happy with but in the long run I am happier. This stuff does not make itself it takes in alot of cases a good solid 2+ weeks of labor in order to get this stuff ready for clear and that is if everything goes right and there is no problems with the resin, and then lets not get started on the problems Alan has had in the past with clear coaters........ Oh the story I could tell but I do no believe in airing Alan's dirty laundry because in the end he made it right by me, why? Because that is what Alan does he will make it right. But in the end you have to realize that this is hand made carbon fiber pieces and in some cases we are talking development pieces these things do take time to make. G3 Composites is a small 5 man shop now while we would all wish Alan would have a shop full of carbon fiber faeries churning stuff out for him he doesn't.

tldr: Alan's slow but honest about it
AntiPriuSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Blacknight11

My money back is all I want, Alan I realty did not want to do it this way but you left me know choice. Was I suppose to wait another year and trust that it would finally show up. Really how many times can UPS, Fed Ex, the postal service loose a package. I am an investigator by trade but it really does not take an investigator to figure Out what's going on. I can care less about your company issues as a customer because I am a customer. I care about your company issues and wish you the best of luck as a fellow business owner but again as a paying customer I want my product. I expect that when I pay whatever the amount is and then I'm told I will receive my product, I get it and not almost a year later. Slow is one thing but to be told its on the way and then when i ask for a tracking number I'm then told oh it was sent to the wrong address, come on man. The one and only time you did send a tracking number it showed the item was never shipped. Again all I want is my money
back and I will go without the CF parts. Lastly I can't believe you would try and call me out for your lack of giving me what I paid for. I know in my
company when we screw up and yes we do at times, I don't blame the
Customer and make sure they get what was
promised. At least I can say to other future customers that I was a man of
my word. The problem is you think because you answer text, emails or phone
calls that makes up for the lack of supplying me with what I paid for. I do
remembered you stated a few weeks ago that you would give me back my
money and items if not shipped by a certain date. Well that date came and
past and still nothing so your promise the other day was also an empty
promise, I never expected that you would follow through with that promise. We
can go on and on, but the bottom line is that you gave me a
price for item and a timeline as well. Here we are almost a year later and nothing but jacked up engine covers that cost me more money and alot of headaches.
As i stated I really wish you good luck with the company because if done right you have a goldmine.

Last edited by Blacknight11; 08-16-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
StreetSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I would think vendors would simply apologize for the poor service, outline the improvements/controls implemented to prevent future issues and promise to do better. Finding fault with the customer's actions or inaction rarely helps their case.
StreetSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
How about vendors start spending more time on making a quality product instead of posting on the forums...
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
I concur...if you are not ready for the big time, don't participate until you are. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
I would think vendors would simply apologize for the poor service, outline the improvements/controls implemented to prevent future issues and promise to do better. Finding fault with the customer's actions or inaction rarely helps their case.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Blacknight11

Just wanted to follow up, still no money or products. I just re-read the post and I just realized that I am only getting my money from the deposit and not what it cost me to repair my engine covers after the covers were destroyed from making a mold. Oh well I guess a good lesson learned.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
Some people dont have the means to run a business. 10 months to get a product is ridiculous. Hopefully all of you get ur transactions sorted out.
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Blacknight11

It's really a shame, if This was my business and i was the president I would have admitted that I screwed up, ensure everyone got the parts they ordered and then gave either a partial or full refund. May sound crazy but I have done things like this in my business. I agree with you, Alan appears to be a nice guy but maybe like others have said the demand got overwhelming. Someone will realize the opportunity and profit in doing CF and create a business that will be able to supply it within a reasonable timeframe. My update still no money or product!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
well he did say he wont be back til the 20th. its the 21st but i feel you though. doesnt it take a shorter time to build a car lol
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote