Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
cyberdelic

Drives: 2SS/RS L99, IBM w/ White Rally
Stuck in park

I have a 2010 2SS automatic. I just hit the 50k mark and decided to replace the radio. All my stuff came in and I naturally wanted to install it. I got Metra kit dash replacement and a Pioneer. I followed the Metra directions as best as I could, but at some point realized that the center console is not coming out since the shifter is in the way. I may have jostled it a little, but nothing serious...I think.

Anyway, I got everything installed and was tickled pink to find the radio, car, and HVAC controls all work perfectly. I fiddled with it for a few minutes, but then discovered that I cannot shift out of park. Even more so, I cannot remove my keys ignition. I noticed my transmission error light on as well. I turn the car off and disconnect the battery then double check all the wires I can spot under the center console, but other than a small light being out of place (indicator light for the gears) I found nothing. I reconnect the battery and turn the car back on though I'm still stuck in park (and my keys still stuck), the transmission warning light is off.

After more fiddling I decided to reconnect the original HVAC controls and radio. Unfortunately the same thing happens.

At this point I'm not getting and warning lights/errors, but I still can't shift out of park or get my keys back. Beyond that everything seems to be working. I hope someone has some ideas what I might have done.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
There is a shift lock switch on the brake pedal that will not allow you to move the gear selector until that is depressed. The problem is most likely within the console where things were taken apart. That is the first place I would look for a pinch or break in the wire(s)

Is there a shift lock override on the auto console?
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
ChasperL99

Drives: SW 2010 2SS RS
IDK, but it sounds like the switch at the brake, when you push brake it releases Park. You can also release out of Park by a button on right side of console,owners manual.

Last edited by ChasperL99; 04-03-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling;
ChasperL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
cyberdelic

I'll double-check the wires again. Only one was attached to the console cover though, and that was the light that was out of place.

I'll check the shift lock, but it sounds like it's a temporary measure to move the car while it's in neutral, and relocks after being put back in park.

I'll look into both on my lunch break today.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
In the console behind the shifter there is a 4 wire connector (yellow, black, tan and purple/white). Check to make sure that plug is properly connected to the plug on the shifter itself. The purple/white is the key out lock, the yellow is for the small indicator light, the black is a common ground and i'm not sure what the tan is for. Most likely your problem is in there.

If all else fails jump the purple/white and the black wires together and you should be able to turn the key to the off position and remove it.

Bryan

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
cyberdelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 427 View Post
In the console behind the shifter there is a 4 wire connector (yellow, black, tan and purple/white). Check to make sure that plug is properly connected to the plug on the shifter itself. The purple/white is the key out lock, the yellow is for the small indicator light, the black is a common ground and i'm not sure what the tan is for. Most likely your problem is in there.

If all else fails jump the purple/white and the black wires together and you should be able to turn the key to the off position and remove it.

Bryan
I figure that's where the problem is. I noted the light doesn't come on when the car is on or the brake is depressed...I wish I had noted when the light came on prior to all this. None of the wires seem loose or broken. I'd like to remove the harness and reseat everything, but I don't know how to get it out. I can tell there's a clip under it, but I'm stumped how to remove it.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
cyberdelic

A little progress. I removed the cover for the shift lock and have found when the car is started I can move it with my finger to temporarily disengage it. I can then drive around fine with no issue, only the inconvenience of having to manually disengage that lock. I've noticed the shift indicator light that is attached to the harness is also not coming on at any point.

Any ideas how to remove the harness? I'd hate to break it, which I often do when messing with such things (obviously). Is there a fuse associated with just the shift lock that I could've blown?

Last edited by cyberdelic; 04-05-2015 at 09:38 AM.
cyberdelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Should have power to the LED light any time the key is on. To unplug squeeze the 2 tabs on either side of the plugin and pull inside part of the plug to the left (towards the driver side) and it should pop right out.

Because it doesn't come out of park and the LED is not coming on I'd say there is no power coming to the console at all and the problem lies elswhere. Possibly a blown fuse as you suggested but I wouldn't know where. Check the fuse panel list in the owners manual. Good luck.

Bryan

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
cyberdelic

Well I believe I found the problem, though I haven't confirmed it yet. When I installing the Metra kit the instructions had me cut out the dash trim that is behind the head unit. In doing so I severed a single cable in a bundle that is on the driver side. It was dumb luck I spotted the cut cable, but equally dumb luck I cut a single wire in the bundle.

I'll report back once I get around to reconnecting the wire.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
cyberdelic

Sure enough that was it. When I cut out the rear of part of head unit area the tip of the blade wasn't always pointing directly toward the front. Even after removing what I cut out you couldn't really see the wires as they are off to the sides. After soldering the cable back together everything started working again.

Thanks for all the help. I at least learned how to manually disengage the shift lock, which is a handy thing to know.