Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Camaro Convertible help.....

Could really use some help with a tough decision I have to make about my next Camaro purchase. Right now I have a 2014 RS Coupe and I have been unhappy with it since I purchased it (long story). I want to go back to the 2010-2013 model and get a convertible. I just recently got the convertible obsession and I really want to get one. Problem is since I only owned my 14 for a little over a year, I know I'll be upside down in a new loan. And will a bank even finance an older car with a balance added to that amount. I think I'd have a better chance getting financing on a 2015, but as I stated, I don't care for the look of the 14/15. I was waiting for the 16's to be released but I'm not too fond of the new style and I know I could never afford a 16 convertible. So I'm torn. I was hoping to find a 13 convertible because it has the touch screen and some of the new features but still has the body style I like but unfortunately I can't find one in my area and I don't know how you could buy from an out of state dealer, if they would deliver the car, etc.

Also, since I never owned a convertible, what are the pros and cons? Does the motor last pretty long with putting the top up and down and does the top last as far as cracking and holes, that type of thing. Would love to hear some opinions about them. Appreciate any help with this.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
I have a 13 vert and love it, i have the top up and down a lot and it is holding up very well, no leaks, no rub marks, no broken ribs etc...
I had a 2012 hard top for two years and loved it, once i moved to Vegas i got hankerin for a vert and all the bellz and whistles that come with a 2lt/RS........worth every pennie, i also HAD to have a 13, i too dislike the 14 styling, so i got a left over 13 on the lot.
The convertible adds a whole new dimension to these cars, once u throw the top down on these things, you will understand, the v6 vs v8 thing is just something you will have to choose, i wont try and sway you either way
Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymandm View Post
Could really use some help with a tough decision I have to make about my next Camaro purchase. Right now I have a 2014 RS Coupe and I have been unhappy with it since I purchased it (long story). I want to go back to the 2010-2013 model and get a convertible. I just recently got the convertible obsession and I really want to get one. Problem is since I only owned my 14 for a little over a year, I know I'll be upside down in a new loan. And will a bank even finance an older car with a balance added to that amount. I think I'd have a better chance getting financing on a 2015, but as I stated, I don't care for the look of the 14/15. I was waiting for the 16's to be released but I'm not too fond of the new style and I know I could never afford a 16 convertible. So I'm torn. I was hoping to find a 13 convertible because it has the touch screen and some of the new features but still has the body style I like but unfortunately I can't find one in my area and I don't know how you could buy from an out of state dealer, if they would deliver the car, etc.

Also, since I never owned a convertible, what are the pros and cons? Does the motor last pretty long with putting the top up and down and does the top last as far as cracking and holes, that type of thing. Would love to hear some opinions about them. Appreciate any help with this.

Can't help you with financing - your best bet is to contact your lender and see what you can get approved for. Just keep in mind having too many pulls in a short period will lower your score.

As far as the convertible goes, my top has been cycled nearly ever time I have driven it for the past 3+ years and is doing fine. Some of the older ones had issues with the top rubbing and needing to be replaced but my current top has lasted 3 years with no major signs of wear. Cracking really isn't a concern with the cloth tops.

Pros: open air driving
Cons: it makes the car heavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
You can buy a Camaro from any dealer in any state. They all deliver and it's not too expensive. It was about $850 from Washington state to South East Missouri.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
babymandm

Thank you all for the help. I found the Car I want that has everything I want but it's in Michigan and I'm in Pennsylvania. I don't know much about the dealer although it has some good reviews that I read. My concern is its a used car and I can't physically go there to test drive it, but the pictures and videos are beautiful and it only has a little over 4,000 miles on it. Do you know if they can deliver used cars too?

Glad to know there's been no issues with the tops, and if there were what part of the warranty would that fall under? And is fixing them expansive? Thank you again! I've been dealing with this battle for a year having a car I don't like and I just want a different one so badly.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
babymandm

Just thinking about it, if I was able to have them deliver the car, what about mine? Would they do a trade in and take my car back with them or would I be stuck trying to sell it? I just don't think this is going to work out for me and I'm so disappointed.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
RolltideSS

Dealers will deliver used cars. Same cost of shipping at around $850 usually. Check the car fax report and have them take it to a local shop of your choosing to have the car inspected prior to purchasing. The top is covered by the three year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper.

Read through the convertible section so you can get an idea of what people are dealing with on these cars. I've had very few problems compared to some people out there, and I honestly believe most of these cars are just fine, but you should be familiar with what problems are common so you can look for it. If you have a link to the car site w/ pictures post it up in the convertible section and you'll get lots of feedback on wether the car shows any signs of having those common issues as well.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #8
RolltideSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymandm View Post
Just thinking about it, if I was able to have them deliver the car, what about mine? Would they do a trade in and take my car back with them or would I be stuck trying to sell it? I just don't think this is going to work out for me and I'm so disappointed.

Any dealership will buy your car from you - or you can sell private. Selling your current car is really a non-issue. But I wouldn't pay another $850 just to ship your car to the seller

Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
babymandm

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm going to be negative on the loan with what they'll give me for my car and that's what I'm afraid of. I don't even know if I could get approved for a loan with the negative equity I'll have with a trade in. Has anyone ever done something similar and put the balance on a new loan? Is it hard to get approved?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
As far as your loan goes...Banks use the NADA guide, retail price as the maximum loan amount they will give you for the car you purchase.

Google nada guide and simply enter all the information for the car you are interested in, including miles.
That will give you an idea on what you can do.
Ken
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
babymandm

Thanks Ken. I appreciate your help.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Pros: open air driving
Cons: it makes the car heavier

That said, the verts all come with the strut bar standard, so the difference in weight isn't really that noticeable handling-wise.

I've had my vert since March, so it was just long enough to have it for the tail end of last winter and all summer, and I have to say, if you can afford it, get it. its worth every penny, and its much more of a head turner than the coupe. And really, just tossing this thing around town with the top down is just so much more fun than anything else. And if the weather turns sour, put the top up, and it drives just like a regular coupe. The cloth top is surprisingly quiet and doesn't let in nearly as much road noise as you would expect.

I have a V6, and its plenty enough to have a ton of fun in, especially with the top down. Sure, a V8 would be more fun, but really, for a daily when you're filling up the tank weekly, you can do A LOT worse than a V6 vert. Its just a plain fun car to drive.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Babymandm, you will NOT want to hear this, but you NEED to. So STOP, take a breath, and don't do ANYTHING yet. I won't ever tell anyone how to spend their money, but I would only ask you to stop and reconsider what you're heading toward- money loss.

Everyone so far has been trying to be a cheerleader on this in trying to help you get where you want to go, and while commendable, remember they don't have to live with your decision.

You say you have the "obsession" for the 'vert. Now you have a problem because business-sense goes right out the window because emotions are taking over. (That's why I don't have a new Z/28 in the garage right now. I kept my emotions about it in check. While I'd love to have one and can afford it, I don't NEED a Z/28).

It appears you haven't done much research on the costs involved. The real costs. How much negative equity are you considering?

There is NO way you're going to be happy with any Camaro if you're paying a payment of, say, 6 or 700 per month for it. I know I wouldn't be.

Trying to finance everything plus negative equity, IMO, is akin to paying a dealer markup over MSRP. Silly to do, financially speaking. I've never heard anyone say they were pleased as punch that they paid over MSRP for a car.

Unless the car you're considering is THE CAR OF YOUR DREAMS and no others will ever measure up, then you will be making a huge financial mistake by following emotions over financial savvy.

Unless you just fell into a bunch of money, right now you don't have enough income, no matter WHAT your job pays. Because if you're upside-down now, you weren't in a good spot, financially at least, to begin with.

Resist the urge to adding more debt, pay down on your car, at least until you get some equity build up in your car. Trust me, there will be some CLEAN 2013 convertibles left out there with low miles where you can sell your car outright, then buy the 2013 outright. Never trade down with a dealer. I've only heard of one "win" in my life of trading down. The cards are stacked against you on that.

My advice- stay put for now. That is your wisest financial move for the moment. Resist that urge to trade. Otherwise your approx. 35K+/- convertible will be costing several thousands more. Unless you like throwing money away to satiate your desires. Your call.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
babymandm

Thank you so much for all your advice. And you are right, I have let emotions get the best of me. I'm one who gets very excited about something and I want it right away and won't give up until I have it. You really put things in perspective for me. The dealer of this car is telling me my car for a trade in is only worth $17,500. I just can't understand that. And with that, I have decided to keep it for now and try to pay as much as I can on the loan each month to get it down more and go from there. Thank you all for your help. It's a slap in the face for a dealer to tell me my car is only worth $17,500 when I paid over 33,000 for it a year ago. Unreal......