Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb66 View Post
If you really want to believe that then I wont take it away from you but sorry to say but no. There are more idiots than ever on the roads that have no respect for anyone on the highways
I agree..........................with a big emphasis on idiots are everywhere!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I kind of drive like palmer,I have had people let me out of a driveway or merge into traffic but also had tailgaters and ricers.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #31
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Our cars bring out the "asshole" in a lot of other drivers. That's a fact!
This +100.
I've been cut off by so many drivers while in my camaro. Glad I have a dash cam now.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
my5thgeneration

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 Black/Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
People probably assume that since we drive a car with aggressive styling that means we're aggressive drivers so they give us deference. Kind of like wolves in a pack and how the betas bow down to the alphas by laying on the ground and exposing their stomachs.
Agree.

Also, most people that would cut you off on the highway, would never do the same to your face. How many times has someone pushed you out of the way in a grocery line? There would be more of a consequence for them in that case.

The look and the rumble, especially with a nice thumpin' cam and exhaust, makes it more personal somehow. People with cars like ours see them as an extension of themselves(don't mean to speak for everyone, but I bet for most of us, that statement is true). The other drivers recognize this.

They think "maybe I should not mess with this dude".
my5thgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #33
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
going to work this morning some woman in a newer range rover tailgating me! at the next light the party was OVER--for her!
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #34
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Not a lot of courtesy around here. I try to use traffic "off hours" for my joy rides.
Mostly selfish idiots, distracted drivers or people who should have never been given a license. I call them accidents waiting to happen.

The current irritant is people who start moving behind me when the light turns green. YOU CAN'T GO UNTIL I ( WE ) DO YOU DUMB ASS. Happened again today.

Rant over.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I agree. Do you think he'd have done the same if I'd been in my Ford Focus?

No but that's not him being polite. That's him recognizing he may not be able to beat you to the merger and not being willing to chance it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #36
1fastmf

Drives: SBM G8 Gt
Come take a spin in Chicago.. you'll have a Prius and 12 speed huffy trying to cut you off at the merge. No respect
1fastmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #37
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Interesting conversation. I am not what you would call an "aggressive driver", unless it's necessary due to some dumb ass who doesn't know what merge means (coming in from the right lane, usually). I drive by the rules of the road as I learned them 40+ years ago in Driver's Education. Using OP's scenario: if I am merging from a right third lane into two left lanes, it is up to me to blend in with the flow of traffic. If I have to slow down to do so - so be it. If I have to speed up to do so - all the better. If I am in that "middle lane" and cruising with the traffic flow, it's up to the right merging lane to either make a move or slow down to blend in. If they make a move to get in front of me, fine - just so long as they don't make me slow down when they do it.

Normally, with three lanes, I cruise in the middle at the speed of other traffic. If I see the potential for a right lane/middle lane conflict up ahead, I'm heading for the far left lane. The key is, I ALWAYS look ahead far enough to know what to do before a panic situation ensues. Most drivers don't do this - there-in lies the problem.
See there Palmer, you just proved my "Fast lane only" rule.

Why mess with all the middle lane, right lane merging crap when you can just jump into the fast lane and enjoy life. lol

Beside...I've used the empty space on the left side of the fast lane many times to bail out when someone is close enough to rear end me ore avoid fast breaking cars ahead.

On second thought after re-reading this tread....I might just line up in the right lane just to see who pulls next to me....might be fun.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #38
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I don't think it has anything to do with a Camaro, specifically. I used to notice the same thing in all my mustangs. I just think it's a general thing most people in average cars do to either not be in the way of car that are construed as sports/muscle cars.

For what it's worth though, my wife and I don't get anything that resembles that kind of treatment in her WRX and it's far from slow. Then again, to the average motorist, her car is rather unassuming.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #39
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
For me, I have noticed younger drivers (under 30, probably under 25) do this more no matter if I'm driving my ZL1 or the wife's Suburban. Last week as I was stopped at a light in the ZL1, I noticed a new VW Golf GTI switching in and out of lanes approaching from behind rather fast (light still red)....and of course, moved into the lane that you can see was a rather short merge lane ahead.....at the green, not only did he try to gun it to get ahead of me, he was making a right at the very next corner......as I witnessed in my rear view mirror.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #40
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5thgeneration View Post
Agree.

Also, most people that would cut you off on the highway, would never do the same to your face. How many times has someone pushed you out of the way in a grocery line? There would be more of a consequence for them in that case.

The look and the rumble, especially with a nice thumpin' cam and exhaust, makes it more personal somehow. People with cars like ours see them as an extension of themselves(don't mean to speak for everyone, but I bet for most of us, that statement is true). The other drivers recognize this.

They think "maybe I should not mess with this dude".
I think it's often true that you can tell a lot about an individual's personality by the car he or she drives. In my opinion, I think Camaro drivers are hip people, even though they may not outwardly look so and no matter their age. The retired superintendent of our public school system drives a 2010 or 2011 V8 Camaro convertible. Owning a 5th gen Camaro automatically gives you cool points.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #41
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
at the green, not only did he try to gun it to get ahead of me, he was making a right at the very next corner......as I witnessed in my rear view mirror.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #42
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Goes both ways but most people are A-holes.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote