Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Bull,

Take it from me, while the 67/66's might live for a while and be happy at moderately high boost levels on a 427, they won't last very long.... They seem to hold up to some of the short runs in drag racing but via the longer hotter runs of land speed racing I have determined at high boost levels they are too small...

I've been through several of them, including blowing two of them up in the same weekend on two different Mile passes. Both of them broke in the center section.... and yes, they were CEA billet wheels with ball bearing upgrades...

We were overspinning the hell out of them to make 25 lbs of boost.... Made one dyno pass at 30 psi.... in addition to the Mile passes at 25... The second turbo of the weekend didn't make it a full pass before it grenaded. I will saythey lasted for well over a year of runs and street driving when limited to only 18 lbs of boost... beyond that, you're on borrowed time...

We are going back together with 76/75 CEA turbos with an "H" cover and T4 outlets.

We've been told point blank, they will handle the cubes and boost.... The difference is we will be notching the frame to make them fit in the same location, next to the bell housing... and doing a HUGE intercooler...

The efficiency range for these is going to be much better, so the IAT's wont be so ridiculous...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #30
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
That is just PTE turbos, nothing to do with size IMO.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #31
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Damn, wish i was still at Luke AFB

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

It's Ok I'll ship you out the kit lol.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
WARNING!!! I am totally biased for AGP so take this for whatever you can get out of it. Could be wrong on some points, but I'm pretty sure.

First of all you are comparing IPS entry level 800whp kit to AGP's full 1000whp kit. Keep in mind when you add fuel, ceramic and powder coating to the IPS entry kit, it's is $650 more than AGP's full kit. And even then still doesn't include as much. What you are getting with the AGP kit is more of an OEM quality kit where you get more for le$$ because the volume manufacturing. AGP has built and shipped thousands and thousands of turbo kits for many years and is in a manufacturing position to invest up front to produce what would be a $12,000 kit, but for much much less.

Differences in the kits-
Like camarostar2010 said above, his IPS kit hangs below the frame of the car and can be problematic on rough roads, especially on lowered cars. The AGP kit is all tucked up higher, nothing hanging lower than the frame.
AGP kit comes with a little bigger, higher flowing turbos w/ 3" v-band outlets that help them spool faster and make more power than the smaller Garrett's in IPS's kit.
AGP kit comes with the larger higher flowing piping and intercooler
With AGP you get a choice of two intercooler sizes, a big one or a HUGE one. Same price.
Cast iron manifold adaptors in the AGP kit are certainly an advantage for heat retention and durability/longevity.
IPS kit has air filters much lower to the ground, right on the turbo. AGP has short intakes that keep the filters up and out of any water.
AGP comes with heat shields, dual PCV breather/catch cans, ZR1 iridium plugs, 3bar map sensor, ceramic coating and powder coating all standard.
The AGP charge pipe has 4 aux npt bungs right before the TB for breakout IAT. Meth inj. etc
AGP kits have been shipping to dealers and fit right, bolt on easy and make power. IPS is still gearing up to be able to ship.

Not sure these details on IPS but-
AGP's kit-
no drilling or tapping any part of the engine for oil feed and return
oil feeds to the turbos are from a filtered oil source off the engine
oil return has secondary filter for the oil returning to your engine

If i remember correctly if you get the 3in compressor housing on the IPS kit then it it will be above the frame. camarostar has the 4in. j/s
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Bull,

Take it from me, while the 67/66's might live for a while and be happy at moderately high boost levels on a 427, they won't last very long.... They seem to hold up to some of the short runs in drag racing but via the longer hotter runs of land speed racing I have determined at high boost levels they are too small...

I've been through several of them, including blowing two of them up in the same weekend on two different Mile passes. Both of them broke in the center section.... and yes, they were CEA billet wheels with ball bearing upgrades...

We were overspinning the hell out of them to make 25 lbs of boost.... Made one dyno pass at 30 psi.... in addition to the Mile passes at 25... The second turbo of the weekend didn't make it a full pass before it grenaded. I will saythey lasted for well over a year of runs and street driving when limited to only 18 lbs of boost... beyond that, you're on borrowed time...

We are going back together with 76/75 CEA turbos with an "H" cover and T4 outlets.

We've been told point blank, they will handle the cubes and boost.... The difference is we will be notching the frame to make them fit in the same location, next to the bell housing... and doing a HUGE intercooler...

The efficiency range for these is going to be much better, so the IAT's wont be so ridiculous...
that is going to be awesome and very cool. excited to see this completed.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Too much drama with turbos. I think i may just stick with the simple centri. Some guys say the turbos are too big, some say too small. Some say Precision Turbo sucks, some say they dont. I know my PC is beastly and im having damn fun and i know the F1c or F1x will meet my goals.

Im not gonna sleep for a few days

This was the hardest decision i have had to make. Stick with what you know works (this has never let me down)

Sorry to sound like a whiny biotch. I think this motor will last forever at 14psi from the dinky D1SC. That is bliss!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Too much drama with turbos. I think i may just stick with the simple centri. Some guys say the turbos are too big, some say too small. Some say Precision Turbo sucks, some say they dont. I know my PC is beastly and im having damn fun and i know the F1c or F1x will meet my goals.

This was the hardest decision i have had to make. Stick with what you know works (this has never let me down)

Sorry to sound like a whiny biotch. I think this motor will last forever at 14psi from the dinky D1SC. That is bliss!
Ha! What kind of attitude is that? Guys that push the envelope do the work and then guys like you benefit. You need to jump to the other side and throw your wide open wallet at it.

I'm on your side (just in case you can't read between the lines). Constantly working on stuff has lost its luster to me. I kinda like to drive the hell out of the thing and leave the big money/ off the reservation stuff to someone else. Attaboys to the guys that need to have something just a little different, or need to get that next little (or bunch) of hp
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Precision make good power. I just wouldn't rank them high in reliability. Stick with Borg Warner, Garret, or an OEM turbo place for long lasting turbos.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Im not gonn push these PTE units too hard so i will probably go with them. Plus my shop is a distributor for PTE and Tial. They are custom fabbing my setup for less than a swap to a procharger F1. If i grenade a turbo, what are they, 1200 bucks or so. Lots of good reviews over on LS1Tech.com.

My shop is setting up a CTS-V with a similar custom setup and i plan to drive down to Ft Worth to get a look. Everything is coated and its supposed to be a hell of a good system.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #38
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:

So first you say this, then you decide to go with a pieced together 'kit'?
enjoy
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #39
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
because I like reading this stuff.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Running IPS kit and very happy with it. Really like the Garrett GT3794 turbo's.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Precision make good power. I just wouldn't rank them high in reliability. Stick with Borg Warner, Garret, or an OEM turbo place for long lasting turbos.
So how to the likes of the S261's or say S259's spool compared to say a 6266CEA ? OR Garret equivalent if there is one ?
Or Even the new 6466CEA ?

I'm considering bumping my old YSi in favour of twins. It's just the choice of turbo's is so vast, and peoples opinions of reliable and junk seem to vary across many units.

Ive used Precisions BB units on a few 4 cyl cars to as much as 40psi boost and never once had a problem. But reading peoples reports still makes me cautious, and the likes of a DBB 6466CEA isnt cheap, and is the unit I'd be aiming for

But I also do 1km and mile runs in my car, and after SSE 42SS's post....I have concerns again.

I dont think Ive read any bad reports about the BW units though, other than they are physically huge. But how do they spool ? Manual trans car circa 382ci and I'd be liking to hit full boost by ideally 4000rpm, at worst 4500rpm and aiming for 1k+
Would be using LS3 logs as per some of these kits in this thread although DIY.

Cost is a factor. I can get the Precision at sensible prices from a local dealer. But BW would be much cheaper either way.
Although arent the BW units also physically very big ?

Also, what scavenge pump do these kits use ?
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #42
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
So how to the likes of the S261's or say S259's spool compared to say a 6266CEA ? OR Garret equivalent if there is one ?
Or Even the new 6466CEA ?

I'm considering bumping my old YSi in favour of twins. It's just the choice of turbo's is so vast, and peoples opinions of reliable and junk seem to vary across many units.

Ive used Precisions BB units on a few 4 cyl cars to as much as 40psi boost and never once had a problem. But reading peoples reports still makes me cautious, and the likes of a DBB 6466CEA isnt cheap, and is the unit I'd be aiming for

But I also do 1km and mile runs in my car, and after SSE 42SS's post....I have concerns again.

I dont think Ive read any bad reports about the BW units though, other than they are physically huge. But how do they spool ? Manual trans car circa 382ci and I'd be liking to hit full boost by ideally 4000rpm, at worst 4500rpm and aiming for 1k+
Would be using LS3 logs as per some of these kits in this thread although DIY.

Cost is a factor. I can get the Precision at sensible prices from a local dealer. But BW would be much cheaper either way.

Also, what scavenge pump do these kits use ?
I, too, was trying to find comparable turbos and my (probably flawed) research shows the s261 falling right around precision 6262 and 6265/66 and garrett 3582/3586. I don't really know crap about turbos and am just learning so don't take my findings as gospel. My car is slated to get s261s in the next week or so and there is a chance we might go to a different (bigger) turbo as well. Two different a/r housings (.82 and 1.0) are going to be dynoed back to back to see what difference they have on the powerband as well. Should be interesting!

I believe the agp kit uses a porsche pump for the oil return.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote