Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
2014 SS - Muffler delete?

I would like to get more sound out of my SS and I've been reading up on my options. One option is just to get the mufflers removed and straight pipes installed to the tips. I've listened to a lot of videos and it's hard to tell how this sounds. Does it cause any drone? Is it excessively loud?

It is certainly the cheapest option available. I like that part..lol
Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Smh.... Muffler delete is excessively loud and drone up the ass.
I would wait and save for an actual exhaust.
You have a nice car you don't wanna cheap out on the exhaust.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
I would like to get more sound out of my SS and I've been reading up on my options. One option is just to get the mufflers removed and straight pipes installed to the tips. I've listened to a lot of videos and it's hard to tell how this sounds. Does it cause any drone? Is it excessively loud?

It is certainly the cheapest option available. I like that part..lol
I feel your pain. I know it's confusing shopping for sound, and videos really don't do them justice as far as "true sound" goes. All you can do via video is make a best guess. Many here have voiced their opinions on their favorite setup, which adds to the question of which is best... it's all opinion based.

The best thing to do is to go to a local Camaro meet and listen (live) to the various setups. You won't hear everything available but you will get a pretty good assortment since replacing the wimpy sounding factory cans is a very common mod.

I feel I got lucky in choosing my Solo w/ J-pipes axle-back system. It turned out to be just what I wanted - a deeper beefier tone with ZERO drone. I love 'em. Here's a video of a "moderately aggressive" takeoff right after I installed them. If I really hit it hard they are louder, but I don't do that very often:

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
I'm very happy with the muffler delete. It sounds a lot better than stock without being too loud and no drone. Its an inexpensive way to improve the sound plus you lose about 15 to 20 lbs of weight. Do it you will like it!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
I did it on mine and it sounds so good
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
I just did it, and when I accelerate it sounds so amazing. Like it is a great feel to finally have such a nice powerful vehicle, match the exhaust. The reason I didn't go with a muffler was 1. Almost 200$ in price difference, and 2. I wasn't buying any new parts...just paying labor,65$ (which is understandable and very decent in my opinion) and I may have saved 200$ because if I ended up not liking the mufflers I would have bought, it would have been a waste of 200$ more than I ended up spending with straight pipe. You can always add a muffler, but if you end up not enjoying he muffler, you're kinda stuck at the 200$ loss. But you can always go from straight pipe to a muffler, much easier than going to a new muffler, from your old ones, not enjoying it, then going to straight pipe from possibly not enjoying the new muffler. I hope you understand what I mean. It was hard explaining, but its relatively simple.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explit Player View Post
I just did it, and when I accelerate it sounds so amazing. Like it is a great feel to finally have such a nice powerful vehicle, match the exhaust. The reason I didn't go with a muffler was 1. Almost 200$ in price difference, and 2. I wasn't buying any new parts...just paying labor,65$ (which is understandable and very decent in my opinion) and I may have saved 200$ because if I ended up not liking the mufflers I would have bought, it would have been a waste of 200$ more than I ended up spending with straight pipe. You can always add a muffler, but if you end up not enjoying he muffler, you're kinda stuck at the 200$ loss. But you can always go from straight pipe to a muffler, much easier than going to a new muffler, from your old ones, not enjoying it, then going to straight pipe from possibly not enjoying the new muffler. I hope you understand what I mean. It was hard explaining, but its relatively simple.
Or you could do hat I did & build your own axle back system from left over exhaust sections! I am not finished yet, need to install the Borla slash cut 4 in. tips & fill in the factory holes in the valance.

I have a 2010 L99 2SS/RS with AFM, & left the center resonator in to give the exhaust a throaty chambered sound. There is almost no drone at cruising speeds & the system sounds fantastic all the way to red line!

Also Lingenfelter Performance Engineering located in Decatur Indiana, also sells an axle back system mfg. by Corsa that sounds fantastic at a very reasonable price. You can listen to the system by going to their site at www.lingenfelter.com. Go to the Camaro exhaust section & you will see it listed. in a 2 1/2 & 3in. option as well!

All the best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
Or you could do hat I did & build your own axle back system from left over exhaust sections! I am not finished yet, need to install the Borla slash cut 4 in. tips & fill in the factory holes in the valance.

I have a 2010 L99 2SS/RS with AFM, & left the center resonator in to give the exhaust a throaty chambered sound. There is almost no drone at cruising speeds & the system sounds fantastic all the way to red line!

Also Lingenfelter Performance Engineering located in Decatur Indiana, also sells an axle back system mfg. by Corsa that sounds fantastic at a very reasonable price. You can listen to the system by going to their site at www.lingenfelter.com. Go to the Camaro exhaust section & you will see it listed. in a 2 1/2 & 3in. option as well!

All the best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
what was on the plate?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Muffler delete here. Not loud at all. Its louder now that I have headers but I love it. It cost me $100 to do. I wouldn't spend money on something that won't give me any HP gains. Ir save the money and buy a ported tb or headers
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Red2014SS

Thanks for all of the replies!!! You guys have talked me into it.. For $100, you can't beat it and if I don't like it, I can always install some mufflers later.

Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
Red2014SS

Update - I just got home from the muffler shop. They removed the stock mufflers and replaced them with SS straight pipe and reused my exhaust tips. Total cost - $100.

Sounds fantastic. Not too loud at all. Actually, I wish it were a little louder, but it's fine. I also noticed that the original mufflers were gigantic and weighed about 20-25lbs each, so that's a substantial weight savings. The shop owner had tried to talk me into buying Flowmasters, but even he agreed that it sounded great when it was finished.

Thanks a million! You guys are the best.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #12
myrally

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs summit white
Quote:
Update - I just got home from the muffler shop. They removed the stock mufflers and replaced them with SS straight pipe and reused my exhaust tips. Total cost - $100.

Sounds fantastic. Not too loud at all. Actually, I wish it were a little louder, but it's fine. I also noticed that the original mufflers were gigantic and weighed about 20-25lbs each, so that's a substantial weight savings. The shop owner had tried to talk me into buying Flowmasters, but even he agreed that it sounded great when it was finished.

after awhile the sound will change an get a little deeper and louder ..best 100$ I ever spent
myrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:

I hate to say we told you so. Lol. Now if you want it louder then get you some headers.
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
I have a buddy who will probably do it for free...