Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #1947
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
From the MT article

"the 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat is really quite the complete package. It sports one of the best interiors in the segment with high-quality materials, a great infotainment system, an even better audio system, room for five, and a stunningly low starting price of just $60,995, with an as-tested price of $64,570. The Camaro ZL1 feels somewhat less special than the Challenger inside. Sure, it's got Alcantara just about everywhere, and snug bucket seats, but you can tell Chevy's focus was elsewhere. The Challenger gets all the little details that make a musclecar special right (like the Dodge Brothers logo hidden in the center console), whereas the Camaro doesn't really have a cohesive interior design, with things such as its navigation system tacked on like an afterthought."
I've been saying that all along. The interior is rather boring in th ZL1 and the worst feature on the car. I tell my friends that I think they spent all the money on the suspension and had to give in on not producing a nice interior. I'm just glad that the rest of the car delivers or I would have all ready traded it by now.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #1948
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
And for all those curious about the dyno numbers. Pretty much an as! kicking. Note it's an auto Hellcat, manual numbers should be higher.
33% more hp.

10% more weight.

I think you'll find the 8-speed automatic is a very efficient slushbox. As is GM's unit.

6-speed may deliver a few more Clydesdales to the rear, but applying them, properly, will be a struggle. GT500 times will ensue, if you're lucky.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #1949
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I am kind of surprised they picked the Hellcat as the victor. When I read the article, it seemed to be with the excpetion of straightline performance and interior design, they said the Camaro was better in every way
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #1950
Runin11z

Drives: 11 CGM 2RS-SS
Quote:
And for all those curious about the dyno numbers. Pretty much an as! kicking. Note it's an auto Hellcat, manual numbers should be higher.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1408_dyn...e_rollers.html
Damn decent numbers right there from a stock car with a warranty...
2011 Camaro Ls3 CGM stock
Runin11z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #1951
Runin11z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I am kind of surprised they picked the Hellcat as the victor. When I read the article, it seemed to be with the excpetion of straightline performance and interior design, they said the Camaro was better in every way
I'm not, it's exactly as is stated... This car segment should have a street presence and a lot of that presence is from the hp rating of the Challenger...

I've already seen the reaction made by this car, he!! most don't even know the "Hellcat" more than they know there is a 700hp Challenger coming soon...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #1952
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1408_dyn...e_rollers.html
That's the worst dyno number I've seen from a manual ZL1.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #1953
Runin11z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
That's the worst dyno number I've seen from a manual ZL1.
I think MT even mentioned that and dismissed it due to the car running "as expected at the track"..
Old 08-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #1954
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
I'm impressed by the ZL1's 1/4 mile time of 12.2 @ 116, it compares to the the 2012 Boss 302 which carries 136 less hp, and 170 lbs less torque, which Motor Trend tested 12.3 @ 115.8 also a track ready car. If we are going to base all of our assumptions on Motor Trend testing the ZL1 seems to come up short.
Interesting that MotorTrend has an actual head-to-head comparison between the two that you somehow fail to mention??

MotorTrend
ZL1: 0-60, 3.8sec; 1/4mile 12.1 @ 117.4mph, 4051lbs
Boss LS: 0-60, 4.0sec; 1/4mile 12.4 @ 113.9mph, 3638lbs

Oh, I see, you were cherry-picking data to try to support such foolishness. Nice try.

Quote:
How is a 580-hp car only achieving 116-mph something doesn't add up.
Almost like a 707hp car only trapping 122mph...
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...the-strip.html

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #1955

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runin11z View Post
I'm not, it's exactly as is stated... This car segment should have a street presence and a lot of that presence is from the hp rating of the Challenger...

I've already seen the reaction made by this car, he!! most don't even know the "Hellcat" more than they know there is a 700hp Challenger coming soon...
Not to take anything away from the Hellcat, but this is pure marketing propaganda at its finest.

A user already pointed out the color choice for both cars. Sublime is a more polarizing color than the "blend into the crowd" silver. People will gravitate to the more polarizing color. To touch on the popularity/street presence, its very obvious that the Hellcat will get more recognition than a 3 year old ZL1. The Hellcat just dropped two moths ago and the internet has been a blaze ever since. The ZL1 was dropped 3 years ago, a lot of that initial recognition/popularity has died down a lot since the new Z/28 and C7 Stingray hit the market and not to mention Ford crashing the ZL1 party.

And lets not mention the staged comparison (A8 vs. M6). Why not do M6 vs M6. We have seen Dodge prop up its best Hellcat Trans combination (A8). There is another trans choice that they keep mentioning but not testing.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #1956
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
I think MT even mentioned that and dismissed it due to the car running "as expected at the track"..
Yeah, I saw that. Makes me wonder if the hellcat will dyno even higher later on, or if its more incompetence at MT.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #1957
Runin11z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Not to take anything away from the Hellcat, but this is pure marketing propaganda at its finest.

A user already pointed out the color choice for both cars. Sublime is a more polarizing color than the "blend into the crowd" silver. People will gravitate to the more polarizing color. To touch on the popularity/street presence, its very obvious that the Hellcat will get more recognition than a 3 year old ZL1. The Hellcat just dropped two moths ago and the internet has been a blaze ever since. The ZL1 was dropped 3 years ago, a lot of that initial recognition/popularity has died down a lot since the new Z/28 and C7 Stingray hit the market and not to mention Ford crashing the ZL1 party.

And lets not mention the staged comparison (A8 vs. M6). Why not do M6 vs M6. We have seen Dodge prop up its best Hellcat Trans combination (A8). There is another trans choice that they keep mentioning but not testing.
I'm just stating what I've seen, we have a performance machine shop here in Cali and I've seen the buzz over both cars upon release times and there is a bigger acknowledgement of the "new 700hp Challenger" as quoted from most of my customers than there ever was about the ZL1... Also for the record these customers are usually building BBCs, LSXs, and SBCs that dyno higher than the Hellcat at the crank and wheels, yet that acknowledgement is there...
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #1958
Runin11z

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that. Makes me wonder if the hellcat will dyno even higher later on, or if its more incompetence at MT.
It's anyone's guess, I will tell you from experience that I've built and dynoed a car that was featured in Hotrod mag recently and when the car left the shop it made 1150 to the tire... Hotrod strapped it to Westech's dyno and it gained a whole 100hp no other changes besides the ride to SoCal...
Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1959
Whos_Drivin

Quote:
It's anyone's guess, I will tell you from experience that I've built and dynoed a car that was featured in Hotrod mag recently and when the car left the shop it made 1150 to the tire... Hotrod strapped it to Westech's dyno and it gained a whole 100hp no other changes besides the ride to SoCal...
Agreed...different dynos can give different numbers. But same dyno same day and one seems to be a hero run (power, torque and top speed) and the other the lowest number for that vehicle/trans to date. Either the hellcat is way underrated or someone is fudging numbers to sell magazines.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #1960
Runin11z

Quote:
Agreed...different dynos can give different numbers. But same dyno same day and one seems to be a hero run (power, torque and top speed) and the other the lowest number for that vehicle/trans to date. Either the hellcat is way underrated or someone is fudging numbers to sell magazines.
I wouldn't put to much into the numbers until we have a few more to compare them to.. And I agree the ZL1 seems really low especially for a M6, who knows what they did maybe they left the ZL1 out in the parking lot idling for a while and it was pulling timing on that run...

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt