#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
ScottMZ3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 2019 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Your joking right.....there is no usable back seat in the current 6th Gen.
Depends who is sitting in the back and how tall the driver/front passenger is.

I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'1"...our 10 year old son fits awesome back there!
ScottMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
Do you really need guys that you have never met to tell you which car to buy....Buy the one you like.!!
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
NicD

Drives: Camaro
Yeah I don't think you can go wrong either way but a lot depends on what you are doing with it. A ZL1 is going to be a bit better of a daily driver IMO but a Z06 will be faster. Pick your poison.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #18
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Des the Z06 still have heating issues or has that been fixed?? I thought the Zo6's were going to fid $80's??

For me, it was the seats & comfort...I looked at both & as much as I like the vette, I felt cramped. I really also prefer the looks of the ZL1. It's just mean looking on the front if you are an enthusiast & know it's not just another camaro going dow the road. I also like that I do not see many. In fact, I have not seen another ZL1 yet on the road. I assume they make less Zl1's than Zo6??

Having said that, how do you go wrong with either?? Honestly, it's all subjective.

You also have the little things like the 17 being a 50yr...that kinda holds a little value in my book too.

Good luck & congrats...no bad choice. Hell, the Grand Sport is a bass ass car to consider too.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #19
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I think we're riding (And rightly so) a tsunami of enthusiasm for the new ZL1 here and terribly forgetting that when the Z06 came out and magazines were just releasing articles the same thing happened. "Oh it'll kill anything short of a 918/LaFerrari/P1" "It's not a race car, in fact, it's better" "At a fifth of the price, this is the ultimate super car killer" "The new PTMs and eLSD make this the best handling Vette ever" "Traction control more sophisticated and thought out than an Enzo" "Transmission that shifts faster than a porch PDK". That's why it's my opinion that it's too early to tell.

We all know now that the A8 is "ok" and has a few problems here and there, and that the engine can (albeit most to no Z06 owners will ever push the car to that point) overheat in intense and excessive tracking situations, and that the car does have a lot of power for the chassis/setup.

But who knows, more than likely, in 2 years we'll know the same things about the ZL1...

I know that lots of people are starting to think the ZL1 is a pipe dream but hold your horses, it's too early to tell, and don't bother telling me all about how the z06 "Can't handle" the power and the chassis of the ZL1 is somehow vastly superior.

The Z06 is still the more desirable, more expensive, faster car. Like it or not (And I'm sure most of the readers are in the "not").
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #20
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
4 seats vs front camera
Where are these 2 extra seats you are referring to? Surely you don't mean those little shelves in the rear of the Camaro.

For all intent and purposes they are both two seaters but the Camaro is much more user friendly and comfortable.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

I know that lots of people are starting to think the ZL1 is a pipe dream but hold your horses, it's too early to tell, and don't bother telling me all about how the z06 "Can't handle" the power and the chassis of the ZL1 is somehow vastly superior.

The Z06 is still the more desirable, more expensive, faster car. Like it or not (And I'm sure most of the readers are in the "not").
Exactly. The C7Z is a killer of a machine. Yes, it had some teething problems of significant proportions but for the 90+% of the buyers who will never show the car a starting grid or an HPDE, it is a dream car.

Same for the ZL1 - it is a monster and has the benefit of what was learned on the early C7Z's about cooling to be more fit for purpose if desired.

At the end of the day, one is a Vette and the other is a Camaro. To each their own because both are fantastic.

But the Vette will most likely always be the bigger brother.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Owned a Gen 5 ZL1 which has a ton more interior space than the Gen6 and now own a 2016 Z06.

Daily the Z06 is much better. Due to the hood and parking cameras it is easier to park in spaces. It is overall small so fits in parking lots easier.

Tires are cheaper. My Goodyears would last 10K if I was lucky and cost 1500 per set out the door. I replaced a set roughly once a year. My factory super sports look brand new and have close to 9K on them. They do cost per tire more then the goodyears but are said to last 30K so cheaper yearly cost.

Trunk space the Corvette has a huge 15 cu ft trunk. You can put a ton of crap back there. Downside is it is open to the cockpit so a hard breaking can have stuff fly onto your lap. The Camaro trunk is tiny as you all know.

The biggest surprise is MPG. My Gen 5 was 14.6 MPG the way I drive. My Z06 averages 17.5 MPG on the same DD commute. My best 50 mile average has been 23 mpg. I tend to drive hard so MPG has never been that good for me. (Those with gen 6 can chime in on MPG but the official MPG is worse for the ZL1 than the Z06.)

Ride was about the same. Mag ride FTW. End of the day both are good cars and buy the one you can afford and like. For me the C7 Z06 was that car.

Edit: One more thing.... if you buy a Z06. Don't buy a 1LZ. The parking camera and many of the features are not included in the 1LZ. I bought a 2LZ and other than fancy leather it was fully loaded. My cost out the door was right at 80K. Car launches like an AWD car and I am still not tired of the crazy pull. So easy to do 130+ that my biggest worry is getting thrown in jail. Insanely fun car to drive and by far the best bang for the buck car you can buy.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI

Last edited by BlackinBlack; 03-31-2017 at 02:18 PM.
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #23
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
Do you really need guys that you have never met to tell you which car to buy....Buy the one you like.!!
I hear what you are saying, but if I would have asked just a little more, I would not have bought the GT350 Technology package without the transmission cooler and rear diff which is what Ford is getting sued for. I lost big time. But the FORD is gone now and I do not miss it one bit and all of my worries are gone.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
4 seats vs front camera
A 1LZ Z06 doesn't have front cameras if I'm not mistaken.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #25
KenB925

Drives: Raptor
i briefly flirted with the Z06, but i would never get to drive it, except to and from work, with kids i've got to have a back seat
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #26
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
The Camaro vs Corvette driving experience is completely different. A person cannot just read numbers off of the stat sheet, they need to drive them to fully understand. I have multiple Vettes and now a Camaro ZL1. Completely different experience...one of the reasons I did buy the ZL1 vs the Z06, I wanted more of a "normal" driving experience vs the "racecar" experience in a Corvette.

...and just curious, $70K seems kind of high for a ZL1...does it have everything? if you cut down on some of those options, you could save alot more money which would increase the gap in your decision, maybe that would make it easier....if you saved more money
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #27
NitroCamaro

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1 A10 PDR
I own a 15' 3LZ Z06 and 16' 2SS and am in the process of selling the 2SS to purchase the 17' ZL1.

All around for what I do.. I'd take the ZL1 any day.
NitroCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #28
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Depends who is sitting in the back and how tall the driver/front passenger is.

I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'1"...our 10 year old son fits awesome back there!
We'll I'm 6'1" and my oldest is 6'2" and my 10 year old would have a hard time with the back seat in the 6th Gens. To each there own I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Owned a Gen 5 ZL1 which has a ton more interior space than the Gen6 and now own a 2016 Z06.

Daily the Z06 is much better. Due to the hood and parking cameras it is easier to park in spaces. It is overall small so fits in parking lots easier.

Tires are cheaper. My Goodyears would last 10K if I was lucky and cost 1500 per set out the door. I replaced a set roughly once a year. My factory super sports look brand new and have close to 9K on them. They do cost per tire more then the goodyears but are said to last 30K so cheaper yearly cost.

Trunk space the Corvette has a huge 15 cu ft trunk. You can put a ton of crap back there. Downside is it is open to the cockpit so a hard breaking can have stuff fly onto your lap. The Camaro trunk is tiny as you all know.

The biggest surprise is MPG. My Gen 5 was 14.6 MPG the way I drive. My Z06 averages 17.5 MPG on the same DD commute. My best 50 mile average has been 23 mpg. I tend to drive hard so MPG has never been that good for me. (Those with gen 6 can chime in on MPG but the official MPG is worse for the ZL1 than the Z06.)

Ride was about the same. Mag ride FTW. End of the day both are good cars and buy the one you can afford and like. For me the C7 Z06 was that car.

Edit: One more thing.... if you buy a Z06. Don't buy a 1LZ. The parking camera and many of the features are not included in the 1LZ. I bought a 2LZ and other than fancy leather it was fully loaded. My cost out the door was right at 80K. Car launches like an AWD car and I am still not tired of the crazy pull. So easy to do 130+ that my biggest worry is getting thrown in jail. Insanely fun car to drive and by far the best bang for the buck car you can buy.
Great feedback. Thanks for sharing.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote