Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Car shaking

Hey all. New Camaro owner as of Sep this year!

I bought a used 2011 RS LT. It has the factory rims and the thin low profile tires. Clean car fax that states vehicle has always passed safety inspection, 66k miles from this randy dealer sold of course "as is" bc manufacturer's warranty still valid. Didn't have it inspected because I didn't want to risk someone else grabbing it. It's one of the rarer lime green ones. As soon as they knocked it down to 18.5k I wrote the check.

I experience a brief wobble when I first take the car out in the morning. I can't duplicate the wobble after I've been driving around. Occurs around 40 mph. Tires are all around 30-32 and I check them manually. The sensors seem accurate cause if one tire is off it reflects in the sensor values.

I noticed after this weekend it was worse than usual (didn't go anywhere over the weekend so the car was sitting). During the week, I get home from work at 1800 and leave the next day at 700. There is a slight wobble most mornings. It occurs only on one road, that was recently repaved.

The steering wheel does not shake, it's just the car. I've talked to another guy who had similar tires and said his did the same thing. Should I be worried and go get this thing checked? Better safe than sorry!

Anyone have anything similar?

Last edited by adbarnett5; 11-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Might need rebalancing and alignment. If so, cheap fix and it probably needs to be done anyways. Im gonna assume the dealer probably didn't do a maintenance check up like they should.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
May be a broken wheel bearing. On my grand am when I had it it did the same thing so get it checked out. If it is the wheel bearing it's going to cost around $500 to get that replaced.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
beasstmode

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
I had to read this multiple times to make sure I didn't over look something.. you say it only happens on this one road? If it only happens on one road that you say was newly paved you don't think it's that road..? Not being rude at all, just trying to understand this
beasstmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
The tires should be inflated to 36 psi and its the road irregularity's you feel amplified by the staggered tire sizes on the car. JMO
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Congratulations on your new Camaro!

The tires will flat spot when the car sits. When it's cold it will happen more.
Once you get going they get round again.

Pissing them up to 36 will help.
Most likely had them pissed off by being at 30-32, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:

Hey, Comrando is one of the wise owls here... I, myself, will go and piss my tires up today, to see what kind of performance gains I might see. If it doesn't work, though, Comrando, urine trouble!

(and... is that the reason for the "P" designation in the tire code?!?)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
And, really, you can put a LOT more pressure into a tire than the "Max Pressure" stated on the sidewall. It's a very conservative figure... have heard tire engineers say that they would be comfortable inflating a tire to twice its designation. I wouldn't try it myself, though... but if you push it a few pounds higher than the number on the side, it isn't going to explode. You'll also get better MPG scores, although the ride may seem a little harsher.

If that does not correct the issue, then you need to look at other possibilities (like that road... even freshly paved, at least here in the land of traffic- engineers- ain't- always- that- durn- good- 'n'- stuff).
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
adbarnett5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll inflate the tires more today see if that changes anything. Dealer said they keep them lower to soften the ride. I knew they couldn't be trusted!

I can't believe that thing about double the PSI.... I once had my old Toyota Corolla's tires a few PSI above the recommended 35 (I think) and service folks at Firestone said my inner tubes were bubbling

You read correct. One road, and briefly when I take it out in the morning. Guess I'll still have the Firestone here on base look at it just to see if it's fine. It recently got really cold this weekend when I really noticed the shaking during the week. Like 30-40 degrees at night.

All the pissing and urine in my thread made me chuckle
Old 11-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Skhan

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:

I back this, I notice the same thing, and as said, its more noticeable in cold weather.
Try using a different road and see if it still does it.
Skhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
adbarnett5

Quote:
How did you have inner tubes? 1960?
Well I thought all tires had a hard rubber extierior and then and inner tube filled with air. That's what I imagined had bubbled when they told me that, cuz I never saw any bubbling on the outside of the tire :/
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Fix a flat will give a slight wobble as well.
overnight it will settle in the low spot of the tire, throwing it out of balance.
once it slings around it will settle out a bit. That or flat spotting like Comrando said sound plausible.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote