Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Here is a different twist.... What if the new 5.5 Liter is not going to go into the Z/28 but go into the SS to one up the new Mustang.... hmmmmm

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I know nothing about what it takes to bring a new engine to the market.... Since the new engine will be based off the LS3 block will there be less testing that needs to be done?

"next year's engine will be back to being based on the production LS3 block as opposed to being based on a racing block, another example of bringing the cars closer together"
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This is a race engine, nothing more nothing less. It is the equivalent of the E85 6.0L LS7 that Corvette Racing used this year. Yes, I said 6.0L LS7 not 7.0L LS7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
Why would we want a 5.5 liter motor when GM could just put direct injection on the LS3 or L99 and we'd get more power, more tq, better emissions and fuel economy..?

I don't see the benefit of a 5.5 liter motor compared to the 6.2

JMO
The LS3 and L99 are going away in a few years, replaced with relatives to this engine. This new generation of engines will be more powerful and more efficient than the current ones. Why downsize? Because it doesn't make sense to offer 500 hp mainstream cars and trucks when you have the new CAFE standards to worry about.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #32
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'd like to keep with more traditional cars, but I always come back to Z28 needing a good amount more power in order to make a performance difference above SS. Shoot, another only 25 some-odd-horse and maybe a couple hundred pounds off an SS just won't do it for me. It still won't compete with a GT500 (again, I always come back to this in my mind), so I just keep falling back on LSA. Sheesh - this is frustrating to wait to get information on, but kinda' fun at the same time
Would it really need to compete with the Shelby? I mean, GM has the corvette for that.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is a race engine, nothing more nothing less.
But the race engine is going to be based off of a new production engine from everthing I have read.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

As is the current E85 6.0L LS7. But no production car has that engine. That is my point.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #35
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As is the current E85 6.0L LS7. But no production car has that engine. That is my point.
I guess we will just have to wait and see

"the block we use now is a production-based block but it doesn't come off the assembly line. Without getting into the minutia, there are some casting issues that caused us to have a huge amount of waste, we were getting about one block out of 25 to ensure the quality we had to have. We used the same tools, the same dies, the same materials, but those all had to be hand cast because the tolerances had to be so much closer. That was an expensive way to do business. The 5.5-liter, by virtue of the brand-new architecture GM has developed, we'll be able to pull blocks right off the assembly line. That becomes a great cost savings for the team."
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
I know nothing about what it takes to bring a new engine to the market.... Since the new engine will be based off the LS3 block will there be less testing that needs to be done?

"next year's engine will be back to being based on the production LS3 block as opposed to being based on a racing block, another example of bringing the cars closer together"

its not testing the engine itself. they have to test and certify every powertrain combo that goes into a vehicle. so for the camaro currently, they had to test the LS3 and M6, the L99 and A6, and the LLT with both the M6 and A6. if they offered a different gear option from the get go, they would have had to test that too. same as if they offered another combo of LS3 and A6. money money money....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #37
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
I guess we will just have to wait and see

"the block we use now is a production-based block but it doesn't come off the assembly line. Without getting into the minutia, there are some casting issues that caused us to have a huge amount of waste, we were getting about one block out of 25 to ensure the quality we had to have. We used the same tools, the same dies, the same materials, but those all had to be hand cast because the tolerances had to be so much closer. That was an expensive way to do business. The 5.5-liter, by virtue of the brand-new architecture GM has developed, we'll be able to pull blocks right off the assembly line. That becomes a great cost savings for the team."
I'll be surprised if this "brand-new architecture" isn't a D.I. V8.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #38
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its not testing the engine itself. they have to test and certify every powertrain combo that goes into a vehicle. so for the camaro currently, they had to test the LS3 and M6, the L99 and A6, and the LLT with both the M6 and A6. if they offered a different gear option from the get go, they would have had to test that too. same as if they offered another combo of LS3 and A6. money money money....
Got ya! Thanks spike
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #39
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
The lack of torque and the love of free spinning revs is why most of those beloved motors grenaded, but oh what a motor it was. It was a true factory "hotrod" motor. 396 motors were turds in comparison except the 375 versions
Rod bolts lacked a lot...once decent replacements came around in the aftermarket the survival rate took a huge jump...especially on the bbc stuff. Big blocks ended up going to a 7/16 bolt (ZL1 and all 70+ bbcs) to get them to survive...but with today's good bolts, a 3/8 bolt is pretty darn good. We've had a '69 Z/28 as well as a '67 SS 350 w/ the 350/295hp, and honestly, I think the 350 car was the better driving car...if it wasn't for the SCCA's cubic inch mandate, the 302 never would've happened.

The 325hp 396 wasn't a performance engine by any means, the 350hp 396 was a definite improvement (different cam, pistons), but the L78 375hp engine was the killer of the 396s. We owned a trio of L78 cars in Cortez Silver a few years ago (Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova) and they would all fly...not like our 427 cars, but still lethal.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
all I got to say about this is. . .DI is coming no matter what. what car it gets placed in is still undetermined. as we have official word of the SS it could seriously be put in the SS in a couple years. but you never know the unicorn may debut with this engine.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #41
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
all I got to say about this is. . .DI is coming no matter what. what car it gets placed in first is still undetermined. as we have official word of the SS it could seriously be put in the SS in a couple years. but you never know the unicorn may debut with this engine.
forgot a word

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #42
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Would it really need to compete with the Shelby? I mean, GM has the corvette for that.
IMO - yes. In order for Camaro to maintain the market it's earned over the last several months, and stay completely competitive with the Mustang, it should be at least on par with all the Pony's models. LT/LS = base Mustang; SS = Mustang GT; Z28 = GT500.

I'm sorry, but the GT500 is not in the same league as Corvette, regardless of price. IMHO, to suggest that is simply inaccurate...

Respectfully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
all I got to say about this is. . .DI is coming no matter what. what car it gets placed in is still undetermined. as we have official word of the SS it could seriously be put in the SS in a couple years. but you never know the unicorn may debut with this engine.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote