Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
tcslc

Drives: '10 SS 6MT, '07 GT500, '08 ACR
Clear bra before or after stripes applied?

My 2SS will be in soon - hopefully this week as the rail car arrived last week. I'm going to have the entire front bumper and hood paint protected with film (clear bra). Question: should the clear bra be applied before or after the stripes are applied?

The stripes are CGM hockey style, and the dealer has no issue either way and my clear bra installer said he never had the option to clear bra before the stripes were put on. The installer did say that I'd see a ridge on the stripes and possibly some small bubbling with the clear bra installed over the stripes, yet his general opinion was to install the stripes and then clear bra. I'm thinking the opposite since the stripes are matt finish and clear bra over them would make them shine. Need some help please!
tcslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Putting the stripes over the bra defeats the whole purpose. At least at protecting the stripes. I would think a competent installer would have no problem putting the clear bra over the stripes.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
tcslc

Drives: '10 SS 6MT, '07 GT500, '08 ACR
Ok, but aren't the vinyl stripes already made of pretty tough stuff and unlikely to be damaged by a rock chip (and isn't clear bra made from vinyl, also)? I'm thinking the stripes will look very different on the pieces that are covered with clear bra compared to those that aren't... Thx for replies.
tcslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
No, I don't believe the stripes are anywhere near as durable as the clear bra. I may be wrong here, but I don't believe they are. I'm sure some experts will chime in here and give you a definitive answer. Oh, and by the way this is a very good thread and I'm sure it will end up helping many people.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Tonka

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS Camaro
well are the cgm stripes a flat finish like the black stripes or a shining finish? i have the flat black stripes on mine and if the i had my clear bra applied over the stripes it would just make them look to weird because with the clear bra applied over the flat finish is makes them shiny. so as long as the cgm are a glossy finish i dont see a problem installing over them, now the guy that installed my clear bra was able to basically put the bra over the stripes to see how it would look b4 they dried, but like i said it would just make the stripes glossy in the one area. now since the clear bra is thicker than the stripes i think it would look even worse to outline the stripes even more so i just had the installer not install anything on the center of the hood. i can try taking a picture of what i had done to give you an idea
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
If you apply stripes and then the clear bra you will have a gloss finish where the stripes go under the bra. I have done this personally and its not what you want to do. I typically tell customers now that if they want to get stripes to get them first and then apply the clear bra over the stripes to protect them. Flat and matte stripes are different though since you do not want a glossy finish over part of the stripe and flat on the rest of it. Get the clear bra first and then have the stripes applied over it. Trust me, it wont look good the other way around.

Clear bras are made from polyuerethane.... much stronger and more durable than vinyl. I will also tell you just flat/matte vinyl is not very durable and will scratch easily. If you want it dont right you need to get black vinyl and have a flat laminate put over it. I have this flat (laminate) vinyl down the center of my Jeep SRT-8 and its incredibly durable. In fact I have used the brush at the car wash numerous times to get bugs off of it and not a scratch anywhere. Normal flat vinyl without a laminate over it will scratch just from normal washing and will look like crap very quickly... it doesnt matter how well you try and take care of it. Go to StickerCity.com and order their material. Talk to Dean or Dutch and tell them you want the laminated film for striping. You wont regret it.

P.M. me if you have any more questions. I have installed both clear bras and vinyl so I have some experience with both products.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
CGM Stripes are gloss I see no issue with putting them under the bra, thats what I would do (and might if I get one)
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Think about this , if you get the clear bra done over the front hood with stripes wouldn't the back stripes on the trunk look lighter then the front stripes with the clear bra ?
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Simple answer; Stripes, then clear bra. No other way.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
clear film, then stripes is the lesser of the 2 evils. the only down side is the decal isnt as strongly reinforced on the eurothane like it is on the paint. rocks will chip the stripes, or crack them. and later on the stripes cannot be removed without likely killing the paint film too. HTP is right with the coating of the stripes during production, as well for maximum happiness and longevity with something matte.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote