Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #29
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo01545 View Post
Here are some suggestions to a version 2 of this most excellent intake. Can you make the filter intake area bigger to extend to the farthest points atop the radiator? Why, so that you can make the tube longer and snake further to the right? What happens at higher RPM's is that the intake tube is too short for the MAF to pick up the air readings consistently. Not a big problem at all - who really ever drives their car in the 5500 RPM range - rare and only during racing. So, this suggestion is just tweek to increase performance. I am happy with the current design, just thought I would throw my two cents in after doing about 7 Dyno's and really checking out the performance of the the Intake.
I'm primarily driving road course conditions and am ALWAY'S into the top end.
(5k RPM) plus.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #30
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
mines fine

it has a very slight surge (maybe 50rpms up or down) at idle but absolutely no driveability issues
i have had some driveability issues though....when im just cruising at a constant speed, the car will surge. i think its a MAF issue. anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketebo22 View Post
i have had some driveability issues though....when im just cruising at a constant speed, the car will surge. i think its a MAF issue. anyone else had this problem?
Yes I have the same surge and miss at constant speeds especially when lightly backing off on the throttle to maintain speed. Especially notice at 30-45 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. I call it the herky jerkies. I also get this with the stock intake on but only when cold, after it warms up it's good. My theory is that with the true CAI OTR installed the engine is getting fresh cooler air as if when the engine is cold. I had it in the dealers but they found nothing wrong. Mike at New Era and I have been trying to figure it out but nothing yet.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Received my New Era CAI on Thursday. Took me exactly 22 minutes to install it (wife timed me). I know this cars acceleration very well and after I installed it I noticed the low end and mid range power was noticeably better. I really like the low end power increase. Plus, the thing looks bad ass. I was at a cruise in tonight and everyone was commenting on this thing and how cool it looked. One guy told me he is taking off his "other" aftermarket CAI and putting this one on just for the looks alone.

Personally I think its the best CAI out there.

No surge problems. No idle problems. The only thing different is the power increase.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Last edited by Darin Morgan; 09-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #33
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
I just don't understand how some guys are getting great results w/ this intake while othere are not. Mine still has the 'herky-jerkies' and I'm tempted to put mine up for sale on the classifieds. Then again, I just might give in and get a tune and hope that eliminates the problem.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #34
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
I just don't understand how some guys are getting great results w/ this intake while othere are not. Mine still has the 'herky-jerkies' and I'm tempted to put mine up for sale on the classifieds. Then again, I just might give in and get a tune and hope that eliminates the problem.
I don't think it's the intake but we, and 1 other guy that I know of, have something going on with our stock setup that is sensitve to cold air. When the car is cold with the stock intake I get the herky jerkies but it's better after warmed up. With the New Era the intake is supplying cool air all the time so we get the herky jerkies all the time (at steady low throttle speeds). I like the accelleration with the New Era but the drivability sucks. The dealer told me nothing is wrong but I'm gonna keep trying to find the reason for this! If you get a tune there goes your warranty!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #35
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I don't think it's the intake but we, and 1 other guy that I know of, have something going on with our stock setup that is sensitve to cold air. When the car is cold with the stock intake I get the herky jerkies but it's better after warmed up. With the New Era the intake is supplying cool air all the time so we get the herky jerkies all the time (at steady low throttle speeds). I like the accelleration with the New Era but the drivability sucks. The dealer told me nothing is wrong but I'm gonna keep trying to find the reason for this! If you get a tune there goes your warranty!
I have been really trying to feel, see and even instigate some of the problems guys here have noted. I cant. I even left out the baffle they sent to eleveate some of the (buffeting) issues some guys where seeing when the fans came on. The design is sound.

I have ported my throttle body after I evaluated the CAI and that helped immensely with the throttle transition from off idle to mid throttle. There is a really nasty lip on the bottom of the throttle body and when ported (CORRECTLY!) it wakes them up and smooths them up. When passing on the highway I get no hesitation now and the thing wont lurch. Throttle inputs are now directly proportional to power output. A professional head porter will have no problem with getting these throttle bodies to deliver a smooth transition of power but if ported incorrectly it will become worse than you ever imagined! Its a large throttle body and does not need to be hogged out. It just needs to be finessed.

P.S. Have any of you guys who are experiencing problems done a fuse pull to reset your throttle position sensor? Have any of you done an ECU reset? I do both about once a week and it always has positive effects on acceleration and driveability.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #36
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
I have been really trying to feel, see and even instigate some of the problems guys here have noted. I cant. I even left out the baffle they sent to eleveate some of the (buffeting) issues some guys where seeing when the fans came on. The design is sound.

I have ported my throttle body after I evaluated the CAI and that helped immensely with the throttle transition from off idle to mid throttle. There is a really nasty lip on the bottom of the throttle body and when ported (CORRECTLY!) it wakes them up and smooths them up. When passing on the highway I get no hesitation now and the thing wont lurch. Throttle inputs are now directly proportional to power output. A professional head porter will have no problem with getting these throttle bodies to deliver a smooth transition of power but if ported incorrectly it will become worse than you ever imagined! Its a large throttle body and does not need to be hogged out. It just needs to be finessed.

P.S. Have any of you guys who are experiencing problems done a fuse pull to reset your throttle position sensor? Have any of you done an ECU reset? I do both about once a week and it always has positive effects on acceleration and driveability.
I have done the 5/20 fuse pull overnight twice with no posistive results. What is the ECU reset? We have the LS3 which is a little different than the auto. This problem seems to affect only the LS3.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #37
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
If you're talking about disconnecting the battery for a while, I've done that several times already and it didn't help.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #38
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
If you're talking about disconnecting the battery for a while, I've done that several times already and it didn't help.
Me too!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
mine doesn't say New Era Performance on it.:(:(
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #40
Camaro_94
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Camaro SS - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaros and vettes View Post
mine doesn't say New Era Performance on it.:(:(
Send Mike or Shawn a PM. I'm sure he'll send one out to you.
Camaro_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #41
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
that MAF connector is an eye sore IMO
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #42
YancyJohns

Drives: Camaro Performers Magazine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
that MAF connector is an eye sore IMO
I second that. Just a suggestion.
Great looking CAI. Can it be used w/ the Magnacharger?
Camaro Performers Magazine SS/RS- 416 stroker, MagnaCharger TVS2300, DSE Sway, Baer 6S Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, BFG Rival, JBA Long tube/Exhaust, Center-Force Clutch, BMR-sfc,ta,tr, Energy Suspension poly kit, ADM CAI & Fuel pump, Norris PCV/Tune, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, DSS 9" rear ind rear, Innov. West pulleys/8 rib, Pedders Super cloil-overs, MGW shifter,/Seibon/ Anvil carbon Fiber. Owner-American Street Car Series and as seen on R U Faster than a Redneck?...lol
YancyJohns is offline   Reply With Quote