Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
Looks great. This way looks easier than the digi-key tube. Is this kit dimmable?
they both dim with the lights i think

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Great detailed write up. Still deciding on which one to do. All three types look great, have you guys seen the light tape thread yet in cosmetics?
These all look great. Great job!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Just ordered mine!

Question - I guess when I go to install my kit I might answer my own question,..... but why didn't you drill the hole for the passenger side closer to the gauge cluster so you didn't have to fish the wire so far?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
why do you have four connectors and only use 2 of them? Also couldn't you just use 2 drivers and connect the other one behind the gauge cluster?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Great job!
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #20
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert48 View Post
they both dim with the lights i think
Yes, they dim perfectly with the doors, and your speedometer cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Great detailed write up. Still deciding on which one to do. All three types look great, have you guys seen the light tape thread yet in cosmetics?
These all look great. Great job!
Hey Dennis.... Yeah, I saw the light tape. I think it looks good, but way too bright for me. The fact that it's not "dimmable", and $200 are more reasons why I would no go with it....... Still, a great option if that's what you like

Quote:
Just ordered mine!

Question - I guess when I go to install my kit I might answer my own question,..... but why didn't you drill the hole for the passenger side closer to the gage cluster so you didn't have to fish the wire so far?
It is MUCH easier to fish some wire to the access panel on the passenger side. We didn't touch anything underneath the speedo cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
why do you have four connectors and only use 2 of them? Also couldn't you just use 2 drivers and connect the other one behind the gage cluster?
The 4 connectors are there for possible future mods (Ambient floor lighting anyone ??? )...... Again, we didn't want to touch anything in the cluster, so the one power source is all that's required ( less touched, less chance of things breaking ).....
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
CASTIG 2010SS

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS\RS
What did you use the stereo wire for? I tried to look in the photos but the best I can make out is maybe used it to pull wire from driver to passenger side?

I think I see what you did, you put a plug on each end to extend the EL wire. I just realized how short you connector wire was coming off each piece. Why not make it a continuous wire when soldering? Can't you solder the speaker or some other wire to the EL and then put just one connector at the end?

Last edited by CASTIG 2010SS; 10-19-2009 at 08:16 AM.
CASTIG 2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
camarorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTIG 2010SS View Post
What did you use the stereo wire for? I tried to look in the photos but the best I can make out is maybe used it to pull wire from driver to passenger side?
Exactly

Quote:
I think I see what you did, you put a plug on each end to extend the EL wire. I just realized how short you connector wire was coming off each piece. Why not make it a continuous wire when soldering? Can't you solder the speaker or some other wire to the EL and then put just one connector at the end?
Sure, you can make the wire continuous. I did think about extending the passenger EL right to the drivers side, but I wanted to have the extra connections for possible future mods.... Also, I wanted the ability to remove the trim easily while leaving all the wires behind the dash intact.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #23
CASTIG 2010SS

Thanks. Good idea about having the extra connection so you don't have to pull the wire all the way everytime.

Why 2 4-way splitters? Did you use them both?

The best I can figure is you put a small lead on both lights with a male plug. The stereo wire had a female plug on one end and a male plug on the other. The drivers side EL wire plugged right into the 4 way splitter and the stereo wire plug into the passenger side wire and them ran under dash and then plugged into the splitter.
Is that correct? Just seems like you ordered more parts that required?

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
wow. that looks awesome! great job & great write-up!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #25
camarorick

Quote:
Thanks. Good idea about having the extra connection so you don't have to pull the wire all the way everytime.

Why 2 4-way splitters? Did you use them both?

The best I can figure is you put a small lead on both lights with a male plug. The stereo wire had a female plug on one end and a male plug on the other. The drivers side EL wire plugged right into the 4 way splitter and the stereo wire plug into the passenger side wire and them ran under dash and then plugged into the splitter.
Is that correct? Just seems like you ordered more parts that required?

Thanks for the info.

You got it, Exactly as you wrote.

The reason I have all these connections was for ease of dismantling, and / or future expansions, besides, these connectors are really cheap @ $1.50 each.... I'm thinking of putting this EL wire under the dash too ( why pay $200 for G.M. floor lighting ).
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
CASTIG 2010SS

Thanks man. Great job and great write up. Thanks for answering all my questions.

One more though. During the day doesn't that top edge of the trim that has been sanded show? Is the clear part noticable from the painted part?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #27
camarorick

Quote:
Thanks man. Great job and great write up. Thanks for answering all my questions.

One more though. During the day doesn't that top edge of the trim that has been sanded show? Is the clear part noticable from the painted part?
Actually doesn't look bad, it all kind of blends... It's VERY important to finish the sanding off with 1000 grit paper ( or higher ). I'll take a pic of mine after work, and add it to the first post.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #28
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Just ordered mine!

Question - I guess when I go to install my kit I might answer my own question,..... but why didn't you drill the hole for the passenger side closer to the gauge cluster so you didn't have to fish the wire so far?

Like Rick said it is for future items to connect. Also it is easier to change the EL wire to another color if you want.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote