Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Why are Snap-On tools so expensive?

A simple 3/8" drive SnapOn socket set, used on EBay costs $250. I know there's value in the quality of the tools, but not enough to justify 3X the cost of Craftsman tools, IMO.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
Lifetime warranty is what you are paying for. No matter where you buy it, if it says SNAP ON (not blue-points) you can mail it in and they give you a new one no questions asked and no reciept needed.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
^^ plus they are about the best on the market... just dropped $97 on a new comfort grip ratchet.... no regrets what so ever
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
I have returned Snap-On tools from a decade ago... They are the real deal.

Now if only I can find a lifetime warranty on a vacuum...
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Lifetime warranty is what you are paying for. No matter where you buy it, if it says SNAP ON (not blue-points) you can mail it in and they give you a new one no questions asked and no reciept needed.
craftsman are lifetime warranty, walk in, hand em the broken one, get a new one.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
craftsman are lifetime warranty, walk in, hand em the broken one, get a new one.
That's right.

I had a Rick Mears SE SnapOn tool box with about $10K worth of tools in it before I left home for college. When I finished college and settled down I decided to go back home to get my tools, only to find my mother had given the box and tools to my uncle.

So I was going to rebuild a set of SnapOn tools but the prices have doubled since I bought the original ones. SnapOn must be a unionized business, that's the only reason I can think they'd need to charge such a premium.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
I have about 22 grand wrapped up in snap-on tools alone. Not including my box which was upwards of 10 grand, now I wrench for a living and can tell you craftsman are ok for garage use and basic stuff but when you do it for a living you only want to smash your hands on stuff so many times when the tool breaks.

I have never ever broken a snap on wrench or socket, when i first started I had a few craftsman tools and everyone of them are broken. Plus the snap-on truck comes right to the shop and takes care of any broken things. I have broken one 3/8 snap on ratchet in my time of wrenching and I put my tools through some abuse.

But for the average guy who does his own oil changes in the garage a minor maintenance at home you cant go wrong with craftsman, but if your whole job s wrenching then you want the best. Hell my 1/2 inch drive electronic torque wrench was 600 alone. BUT its the only torque wrench on the market that meets aviation certification because its so accurate and when rebuilding engines I want the best to do the job right the first time. You dont make any money on comebacks!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Fuel Fire Desire

Drives: 2011 M6 LS
^^^ Exactly

Ive broken many craftsman tools, and almost all with my hands. Ive even put a nice bow on a couple of their breaker bars by hand (without a cheater). Ive never had any issue with the snap on tools Ive used at work though, same goes for mac. That said, 90% of what I own are craftsman. The frequency in which I break craftsman tools doesnt justify spending 2x's the amount on snap on's. Especially when a sears is just minutes from my garage.

If I wrenched for a living, it would be a different story.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Sarah

Drives: Camaro LLT ABM
You get what you pay for...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
gen5fan

Drives: Previous '04 SSR; '10 2SS; '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Not always......
I returned a broken ratchet from my socket set.
They wanted to replace it with a refurbished one. It had someones initials etched in it and was in worse condition than my broken one.
After a heated discussion with the manager, they gave me a brand new one.

I always liked the Craftsman tools, but now most say "Made in China" so I stay away from Sears.

Last edited by gen5fan; 06-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.
gen5fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
I have about 22 grand wrapped up in snap-on tools alone. Not including my box which was upwards of 10 grand, now I wrench for a living and can tell you craftsman are ok for garage use and basic stuff but when you do it for a living you only want to smash your hands on stuff so many times when the tool breaks.

I have never ever broken a snap on wrench or socket, when i first started I had a few craftsman tools and everyone of them are broken. Plus the snap-on truck comes right to the shop and takes care of any broken things. I have broken one 3/8 snap on ratchet in my time of wrenching and I put my tools through some abuse.

But for the average guy who does his own oil changes in the garage a minor maintenance at home you cant go wrong with craftsman, but if your whole job s wrenching then you want the best. Hell my 1/2 inch drive electronic torque wrench was 600 alone. BUT its the only torque wrench on the market that meets aviation certification because its so accurate and when rebuilding engines I want the best to do the job right the first time. You dont make any money on comebacks!
If I were a professional mechanic I'd likely have Snap-On tools. Although, I've done a fair bit of "wrenching" on race cars and Jeeps with Craftman tools and never broke one by hand. In fact I recently installed a set of gears in my Camaro and used a Craftsman breaker bar with a cheater pipe to set the pinion load (crush sleeves, hate em!). It was bending but didn't break!

I have broken Craftman sockets usiong them with an impact wrench, but that doesn't count.

I don't think Craftsman hand tools are made in China, but their power tools are. Thank unions and ever increasing government regulations (e.g., EPA) for the mass exodus of manufacturing to China.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I wont buy a crapsman ratchets ever again.. I do buy their sockets , well I buy any socket with a lifetime warranty.. even NAPA.. but when it comes to ratchets there is no comparison. I have broken a craftsman ratchet while using it and I don't like smashing my fingers. They used to be better, Sears used to carry quality but like anything people wanted cheaper and cheaper and so that what you get there now... back in the 70's maybe early 80's it was a much much better
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
The best !

Using snap on tools for 46 years. Tried others and none really compare for strength,hand comfort and durability! Luckily for me I purchased my set with box from a mechanic who had to retire due to medical issues.He liked me and my interest in mechanics to give me a deal of a life time on his entire set with box.Only way I could afford to own them as a 18 year old whom was recently married with a new baby.Lucky me and I still have all the tools minus the box which I gave to my son.Old craftsman are really strong and durable but do not fit your hand that well & too bulky but get the job done just the same.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Been using Snap On for well over 20 years i love my tools and theres nothing worse than coming home to wrench on your projects with crap tools after working all day with prememium tools. No one can beat there 1/4 drive stuff. Now if we can find a dealer on here that will give us a 15 to 20% discount that would be cool.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote