Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #43
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadonaStick View Post
I'll use my first post here to respond to this one....

I have been out of college for over 17 years and still have 100k in college loans - and I went to a state school not a private one.

I have no hope of paying these loans off before I retire (if I retire).

There is no way, ever, to get away from college loan debt. It is the closest thing to indentured servitude left in the United States.

Students go into debt with the promise of a well paying job when they graduate - that is turning into a longshot.

My son will never, ever take out a student loan. I will sell my car, my home or anything else I have to to see that he does not have to take out loans - as long as he is willing to work to help foot the bill.

College is something that everyone should have the opportunity to experience - but the reality of student loans is becoming a bad nightmare for many, many students. My story is becoming the norm, not the exception.

Just one man's opinion.

[edit:]

LOL, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I am a teacher and believe in education. College is one of the best experiences of my life, in and out of the classroom, and everyone should go if given the opportunity - but student loans are killing me and many students are in similar situations. My only advice is use student loans sparingly and as a last resort. My very best semesters in college were when I was working 50 hours a week!
Im sorry to hear abt your diff. school prices do suck but not everyone has the ability to sell their stuff to pay for school and like it or not the prices are only going to go up so for some the only way they can go is to take out loans. Now id still like to know what the heck school you went to 17 years ago that you racked up well over 100k in loans? If you are a teacher im assuming you just got a bach. and that would be 25k a yr. IDK any State school that charges that. there are other schools that cost less. its abt the choices you made to get where you are at. No way in hell would i choose a school that would cost that much unless im 100% sure im gonna make 100k a yr after.
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #44
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post
Eh... six figures a year on a high school diploma here... was making 50k/yr in my previous job... just gotta sacrifice your social life and find a Class 1 railroad that's hiring (most are).

(I was five courses from my bachelors and maintained a 4.00GPA throughout earning my associates and up until I got sick of school... but my job doesn't require any college... just drug free, dedication and common sense)

Good on the OP to be a great dad... I hope your daughter appreciates the gesture and gets the most out of her education... keep her away from bullshit degrees... medical and engineering are the way to go, IMO.
Again im happy for you. you worked hard to make it where you are. Not once did i say you cant make alot without a college degree. look at Bill gates. anything is possible with hard work and dedication. this is the great thing abt the USA. but even if a 1000 ppl with HS diplomas come on here and tell me they make xxx amount of dollars the statistics still show that you are more "likely" to make more with a college degree. i said it is a good INVESTMENT not that you are 100% going to do well with one and not 100% going to do bad without one.
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #45
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by walky35 View Post
Im sorry to hear abt your diff. school prices do suck but not everyone has the ability to sell their stuff to pay for school and like it or not the prices are only going to go up so for some the only way they can go is to take out loans. Now id still like to know what the heck school you went to 17 years ago that you racked up well over 100k in loans? If you are a teacher im assuming you just got a bach. and that would be 25k a yr. IDK any State school that charges that. there are other schools that cost less. its abt the choices you made to get where you are at. No way in hell would i choose a school that would cost that much unless im 100% sure im gonna make 100k a yr after.
Actually I have a Master's from the University of Wisconsin. Why would you assume a teacher has just a bachelor's degree? Well over half of the teachers in the nation have a master's or higher.

Anyway, take a look here:http://www.finaid.wisc.edu/undergraduate-cost.htm I think that estimate is a little low especially if you live off campus.

You are looking at only tuition. There are books, supplies, housing, fees and interest on the loan. If you ask for a deferment of any kind during the life of the loan or consolidate the loans the interest hits hard.

Loans may or may not be inevitable for people, but as I said, they should be the very last alternative, in my opinion. It is possible to work full time and make it through school.

YMMV and I applaud the OP for taking care of his daughter. I will do the same if necessary. Hopefully my son will earn some scholarships and will be willing to work for his degree.
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #46
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Lots of respect to the OP, I am fortunately on the other side of college tuition.

My son just Graduated from college, thank God, out of state tuition is a beeeeach, $150K and we did it without taking out a loan. I am proud of him for Graduating and proud of my wife and I for scraping and saving to be able to afford it. I rewarded myself with a new Camaro, lol.
He needs to go to grad school , wants to be a physical therapist. but the rest is on him.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #47
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Lots of respect to the OP, I am fortunately on the other side of college tuition.

My son just Graduated from college, thank God, out of state tuition is a beeeeach, $150K and we did it without taking out a loan. I am proud of him for Graduating and proud of my wife and I for scraping and saving to be able to afford it. I rewarded myself with a new Camaro, lol.
He needs to go to grad school , wants to be a physical therapist. but the rest is on him.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #48
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by walky35 View Post
Again im happy for you. you worked hard to make it where you are. Not once did i say you cant make alot without a college degree. look at Bill gates. anything is possible with hard work and dedication. this is the great thing abt the USA. but even if a 1000 ppl with HS diplomas come on here and tell me they make xxx amount of dollars the statistics still show that you are more "likely" to make more with a college degree. i said it is a good INVESTMENT not that you are 100% going to do well with one and not 100% going to do bad without one.
“Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -Aaron Levenstein

(But don't confuse my post with condemnation of higher education- I don't contest that college can be a fruitful endeavor for those who seek it.)

That said... back to the originally scheduled programming...

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #49
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
My brother works at a dealer here in Texas. They said since the reveal of the 2014 Camaro, the only ones the dealer has sold are custom orders. They have not sold a single camaro under ZL1 trim in four months. They have around a dozen. Three ZL1s currently. If you look around the used lots, there are so many used 2010 and 2011 camaros you can really cut a deal. I went to a hole in the wall dealer this weekend and counted 8 used SS and 6 V6s. The guy even told me "If your car didn't have those green stripes, I wouldn't even look at it. Got too many."
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
You will buy a Camaro again. The daughter only shows up in your life once. You did the right thing.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote