Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNV View Post
Running HIDs in halogen housing is illegal no matter what. It doesn't matter is they are DOT certified. With no projectors the light will scatter.
Yes I do run HIDs in halogen housing though.
Not all cheaper HID kits are bad. I have 3 sets of HID bulbs here. All three sets are 8ks. I have install and tried all three sets. Fist set was a mid range price. Nice color a little hint of blue to them. I had problems with one of the ballasts from day one. I bought a low end kit to try out. Swap out the bad ballast at first and both bulbs. Ballasts work fine and had zero problems with them. The bulbs felt light the were built better. Color had a little less blue to it. It look closer to a 6k light then an 8k. Third set of bulbs I would call higher end. They are from a vendor on this site. I really don't want to point out who's they are. The bulbs feel and look the same as the cheap set. If you looked at them both I think the only way you could tell them apart is by the stickers lol. The only difference I could see in them was more blue. Most of the parts are coming out of china. I'm sorry but some vendors are just making more money. Others are paying more for them. I build computers. I have a side business that I have been running for years. I build my own and do a ton of repairs. I have fixed a ton of Dell, Compaq, HP. Gateway, ect. I have seen the same mother boards in these pc's that I have used in the past. The difference in them is the cost. While I have to pay say $60 for the same mother board they are only paying $20. So they can sell low end computers cheaper then I can. Some vendors can not stock 300 sets of lights while others can. When you buy in bulk it is a lot cheaper.
Yeah some cheap HID kits are crap. Not all are. Unless a vendor is making his own kits more the likely he is buying his kits from the same places others are.
Ditto, Was gonna add a few of those to my post ^^^..but didnt wanna open a whole can of worms!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
I agree with SNV
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
Ditto, Was gonna add a few of those to my post ^^^..but didnt wanna open a whole can of worms!
Yeah I wasn't trying to do that. Sometimes the whole "you get what you pay for" bothers me. I got my spoiler $100 cheaper that 3 prices I was quoted by some vendors. The same spoiler but it was a place that deals direct. They have the overhead to buy in bulk. Same thing with my dome lights. I paid $7 shipped for a set of two. That is around $30 cheaper then another vendor when you add in shipping. I ordered it direct from china. Yeah it took a little longer to get here but I would be willing to put it up against any other 5 led dome light. I am sure there are crap ones out there. Not all are. Most hids and leds come from china. Even the ones vendors sell. I'm not trying to put the vendors down. I just want to see people save money. Times are hard all over now. Every dollar counts in my eyes.
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
i have lights like that in my hummer. i have the 55watt 8000k bulb. bright as hell. no problems at all. not the same mfg company, but the cheap kits work just as good as the expensive ones. go with the 55 watts though. dont do the 35watt
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
JWMotoring

Drives: 2018 SS Hyper Blue
Don't cheap out with HIDS.
JWMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
i've ran those kits in several different cars and haven't had a problem with any of them!!

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
buy them and let us know how they work
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
If I remember correct a few members are using them already.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Quote:
Yeah I wasn't trying to do that. Sometimes the whole "you get what you pay for" bothers me. I got my spoiler $100 cheaper that 3 prices I was quoted by some vendors. The same spoiler but it was a place that deals direct. They have the overhead to buy in bulk. Same thing with my dome lights. I paid $7 shipped for a set of two. That is around $30 cheaper then another vendor when you add in shipping. I ordered it direct from china. Yeah it took a little longer to get here but I would be willing to put it up against any other 5 led dome light. I am sure there are crap ones out there. Not all are. Most hids and leds come from china. Even the ones vendors sell. I'm not trying to put the vendors down. I just want to see people save money. Times are hard all over now. Every dollar counts in my eyes.
Gotta do it to get a point across though, its highway robbery to pay that much for a HID kit, most of the HIDs are made from China or w.e anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i have lights like that in my hummer. i have the 55watt 8000k bulb. bright as hell. no problems at all. not the same mfg company, but the cheap kits work just as good as the expensive ones. go with the 55 watts though. dont do the 35watt
55W in a reflector housing is BRIGHT, standard reflectors for low beams 35W tops, 55W is Ok for High beams (when they stay on) and Projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Im sure they will work just like every other kit, If he buys a relay so they get full power when the DRL's come on he will be golden, Or a DRL killer, either one.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #24
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
Gotta do it to get a point across though, its highway robbery to pay that much for a HID kit, most of the HIDs are made from China or w.e anyway.

55W in a reflector housing is BRIGHT, standard reflectors for low beams 35W tops, 55W is Ok for High beams (when they stay on) and Projectors.

Im sure they will work just like every other kit, If he buys a relay so they get full power when the DRL's come on he will be golden, Or a DRL killer, either one.
From there site
Quote:
*High / Low kits come with a fused relay harness and controller that regulates the high / low operation.*
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #25
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
There are other things that you could skimp on....

Floormats....air fresheners....things like that.

You don't want to shortcut safety or performance items on your Car.

They'll certainly cost you later down the line. I cannot tell you how many P13W AAC Foglight kits we've sold in the last two weeks to people who said they'd tried cheaper ones and they didn't last or meet expectations.

Just my personal and professional opinion sir.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #26
SNV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
There are other things that you could skimp on....

Floormats....air fresheners....things like that.

You don't want to shortcut safety or performance items on your Car.

They'll certainly cost you later down the line. I cannot tell you how many P13W AAC Foglight kits we've sold in the last two weeks to people who said they'd tried cheaper ones and they didn't last or meet expectations.

Just my personal and professional opinion sir.
Ivan
Are you saying the kits from ddmtuning.com are no good?
What I can't help but to notice is most of the people saying buy the high priced kits are all vendors lol.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #27
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Are you saying the kits from ddmtuning.com are no good?
What I can't help but to notice is most of the people saying buy the high priced kits are all vendors lol.
Probably because we've seen and heard it all from customers asking about them. ???

I'm not saying buy this or don't buy that, it's the customers' responsibilty to do the due diligence in learning what works and what doesn't.

The first question I ask as a customer as well is "why don't I see people using or talking about the brand I'm considering buying?"

You always hear good things about great products.

That's all I'm saying.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #28
SNV

They have been talk about on this site. They are not vendors here so less people on this site would know about them. I didn't know of 95% of the vendors till I seen them posting on this site. Kind of makes sense doesn't it .
Also most vendors here advertise the HID kits as Camaro HID kits. The cheaper sites advertise them as H13's. It seems that most places uses the Camaro tag to charge more. I'm really not trying to put any vendors down. I'm sure it looks like I am. But I'm really not. I would rather members save a few bucks if they can.
I am more then willing to explain more in PM if you want to know my reasoning. I just do not want to cross the line anymore then I already did in public.