Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Drives: 2018 Nightfall Gray ZL1
L99 Tune

I am looking for a tuner near Florence, SC. I would like someone to dyno tune my Camaro (2012 L99 with a CAI and Muffler delete). I am not crazy about the handheld email tune thing. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just want to pay someone that knows what they are doing with my car! I don't want all the hassle of downloading/uploading. I would like to find a reputable tuner that can do a good engine/transmission tune and get rid of that damn AFM! Opinions please.
GSTRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
roller

Drives: 72 nova 10.5 tire car
the hand held one jannety does is pretty good i just did the mail order one and im a old guy that sucks on the computer and it went great the tune is good as far as i can tell. at alater date ill put it on a chassie dyno and see if anything needs tweaked
roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
What are you wanting to "tune" with those mods? Most don't go that direction until LT's or other major upgrades. Or is the AFM the only thing you are looking to "tune out"?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
I would find a local reputable shop and get it tuned there. But thats just me.

I like actually meeting the person doing the tuning my car and they could surely help you out on future mods and answer any questions you may have.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
motorhead2011

Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
I think if you go with a reputable tuner like Jannetty that has done hundreds of tunes on a car like yours,you may be better off than someone that has not on a dyno.Just got my sct and tune for mine from Jannetty.
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
What are you wanting to "tune" with those mods? Most don't go that direction until LT's or other major upgrades. Or is the AFM the only thing you are looking to "tune out"?
I have been reading about others getting tuned with no more mods than me. They all talk about how it is a different car! That is what I am looking for. I absolutely hate the AFM and the slow downshift in the transmission is almost as bad.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
the hand held one jannety does is pretty good i just did the mail order one and im a old guy that sucks on the computer and it went great the tune is good as far as i can tell. at alater date ill put it on a chassie dyno and see if anything needs tweaked
I know that I can probably do it, just don't really want the hassle. Besides, all my computers are macs, and most of this stuff only works on a PC. I want to do the dyno and be done with it.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
I would find a local reputable shop and get it tuned there. But thats just me.

I like actually meeting the person doing the tuning my car and they could surely help you out on future mods and answer any questions you may have.
This is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Know any in my area??? Anyone?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
mel1
Yeah buddy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Tundra View Post
This is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Know any in my area??? Anyone?
Come on up to Raleigh NC area, reputable tuners such as RPM Motorsports and Mayhem Motorsports.....if you want a dyno tune. And I agree....it makes a world of difference tuning the L99.....it truly feels like a different monster

Mayhem Motorsports tuned mine, and turned the AFM completely off..

2010 SS IOM L99,Heritage grille,Rear Bowtie Delete
mel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
A good TCM tune in the L99 is worth it alone. You will gain very little in terms of hp and trq but firming up the shift points will enhance the performance of the car.

The tranny used for the L99 is pretty picky. If you go somewhere, be sure to ask if they have ever done the L99 before and talk to people who has been as one mess up will toast your tranny.

Personally I recommend Ted Jannety. It is a email tune but his tunes are among the best, if not the best in the US. His tune is what I'm running in my L99 and the difference is like night and day. He also has a "Free tune" program where if you decide to add more mods to your car and you buy them from him, he will tune your car for free where as if you go anywhere else you will have to pay to have your car retuned. I highly suggest you at least consider him.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
GSTRYDR
Ghost Ryder Z

How about PCMofNC? Do any of you have experience with them? Looking for someone that a lot of people could recommend, and I really like dealing with people that appreciate my business. Anymore suggestions?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Vector motorsports, Livernois, Ted Janetty, RPM, on and on....ALOT of good ones available
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
[old jeff glick]

Drives: Black twin charged
MTI is the premiere tuner and speed shop in the south east. Over 20 years in modifing GM produced vehicles. We can fill your needs. 770-919-7774 ask for Jeff or shoot me an e-mail.
[old jeff glick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Jannetty tunes the fastest L99 Gen V camaro to date. You'll be more than pleased with his work.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote