Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Life Advice *WANTED*

Well fellow motor enthusiasts, I am seeking some advice and opinions. I know it's a forum and I'm not going to make a life decision based on advice from an anonymous stranger but I'd like to hear thoughts.

I'm in my fifth year of school at Baylor University. I've been fortunate enough to have most of it paid for. This is my last semester and I've already completed all my core curriculum and just finishing up University requirements for my degree. Everything is looking good except one class (Statistics) that I'm probably not going to pass. I have a great paying job lined up back home that will be an awesome start to my career. It's very skilled based and really could care less about having a degree. I'm a pilot. Also my family is going through a rough time and I want to be there for them. If I fail this class should I stay for an extra semester, lose that job offer, go into debt, and not be with my family through this hard time all for one class that is not in my major?

I really want that degree after so much invested, but at what cost?
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
You have several potential options.

I would look into getting your degree one way or another. First and foremost, try and get it now if at all possible. If that doesn't work, take the job & see if there is some way that you can get your credit while working at least part time. I don't know how your school is setup, but generally speaking, you can probably get by with only attending 1 day a week for a class like statistics. You already have your notes (and assignments) from this year. You've been to (at least some of) the lectures. All you really need to show up for is handing in assignments (if that can't be done electronically) and quizes/exams.

If something is preventing you from doing that job and going to school at the same time, I'd say take the job anyways & do it until September rolls around. And again, either get a McJob to occupy your extra time or take a few extra courses to either round out your education a bit, or pad your GPA.

If the thing that prevents you from taking the piloting job while going to school is location, consider getting your credits transferred to a local school. Though this sometimes ends up with a handful of courses needing to be taken to meet the new schools degree requirements so you might not be any better off doing that. Still, something to think about.

Last option is not getting your degree. You've gotten this far already, and it will be a lot easier to get it now (or next year) than it will in a decade or two.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Since Baylor is private school a lot of institutions won't take the credits in a transfer (not to say that some won't transfer)

Could you do an online course?

I don't know anything about being a pilot but if it really is a field that doesn't care about degrees just experience and that is what you plan to do then it seems a waste loose a job for something that won't help you in the long term anyway
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Talk to your instructor. (Full disclosure: I am a complete numbers guy) stats isn't that hard that it should stand in your way. If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing. You can get it done now and not worry about it.
trm2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
If thats the only class you have left to get your degree, I would say try to get it. Even if you dont think you will not use it in your job right out of school you never know what will happen years down the road and a college degree is very important in today's society and as you know, aviation is a hard field to make it in.
And see if there is an online version available so you could take it and work at the same, time would be the best option.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
I would suggest paying for a good statistics tutor.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Get a tutor and get that degree. If you're this close...finish. You'll regret it if you don't.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
TheAviator

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro 1LT
See if you can finish the degree online. See if the professor will work with you after you explain to him your situation, maybe you can do a lot of extra home work so to speak to make up for earlier failures or what not. I would try to figure out a way to accomplish both, and no I wouldn't turn the job offer down either.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
I would suggest you finish your degree at all costs. As a pilot you may not need it, but think 20 years from now when you are not flying and trying to move into the office. At that point the degree is going to be important. Baylor is an excellent school.

With that said, Family is not replaceable. You need to be there for them. I would go to your instructor and explain your personal situation. I am willing to bet money they will be empathetic and will work with you on ways to get your grades up. Maybe extra credit, maybe allowing the final to be your grade. Ask them for tutoring help. Maybe they have a graduate student you can get to help you. If you are willing to put in 75% of the effort, I bet the prof will come 25% of the way. You need to do this now though.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
See if you can finish the degree online. See if the professor will work with you after you explain to him your situation, maybe you can do a lot of extra home work so to speak to make up for earlier failures or what not. I would try to figure out a way to accomplish both, and no I wouldn't turn the job offer down either.
This. Explain the family situation, job offer, and see if meybe he can give you some tutoring. Can you challenge the course and just test through? If the professor has a soul he'll work with you. Congratulations on being so close - don't give up.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Thanks

Thank you for all the good advice. Unfortunately, online and transfer credit are not an option due to the university requirement that the last 30 semester hours must be earned in residency and no online courses are offered here. I'm definitely not a numbers guy haha
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Do This

If you truly know for a fact that you will fail the Statistics class, then go ahead and fail that but make sure you pass everything else.

This probably won't help....but some teachers will let you get an "I" grade or Incomplete. I did this for my senior design project class....and by getting that Incomplete (in May)....I ended up with 6 more months to turn in my project,...and I turned it in the following December and got an A- in that class.

To me, if all you have left is that one class, and that degree is not going to affect you getting that job...then just start working at the job for right now.

YOUR new job, might work something out with you to take that class while you are working. (is your new job very, very far away from Baylor ?)

The economy is not GREAT so to me TAKE THE JOB while that job EXISTS.

Especially if the degree will not affect you getting that job.

Also, it STILL looks good to have a resume and say "only one class short" of having such-and-such degree.

In the future that college MIGHT start offering online classes...so just wait till they finally do that....then take the class at that time.

After the semester is over.....you need to go in person and talk to the DEAN OF _______ WHATEVER department you are in.

SURELY they have the authority to make an exception for you.

IN FACT....What you should do is TAKE THAT IDENTICAL statistics class at ANY COMMUNITY COLLEGE.

AFTER you take that, and AFTER YOU HAVE PROOF that you passed it (at an accredited college)....They might cut you a break and let you transfer that one class.

In theory, you could even put on your resume....completed all coursework for this degree. (Because you did).

Just don't say when you graduated. just write "college refuses to accept my credit for statistics and wants me to take the class twice for no reason"
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Can you get the required credit by doing a Clep in a different subject then statistics? Talk to your acedemic counseler. They may even have an option for you to do your last class online after you get moved and settle in. It would be a tragedy to get that close to a degree and not finish it. All that money and time spent is justed wasted if you don't finish it.