Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #939
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
OK this thread has gone WAY off track.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #940
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
Count me the hell in on getting that powerpoint but not because of HUD- I screwed up my dash (you know, high heels upsidedown on the passenger seat...) I simply need to replace the dash but at first look, it's going to BLOW without detailed help. The PPT would be a God-send.

Never mind- found the ppt and the pdf version a few pages back...

just kidding........video would be better!

Unless it was you that had on the high heels!.....It does say "I screwed up my dash (you know, high heels upsidedown on the passenger seat...)"
STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #941
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
OK this thread has gone WAY off track.
have a little fun it's a holiday............ ok back to huds
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #942
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
And I thought only corvettes got you laid
LOL
I made it in my Mustang (A MUSTANG!!) back in 2000 many times... but we seriously digress...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #943
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Back to the HUD, not sure that loosening the ductwork is going to help. Second picture shows the ductwork is sitting directly on top of the AC/Heater assembly, kinda pinched between the dash pad and the AC/Heater unit. Wonder if it would be possible to tilt the dash pad back, and slide the HUD in from the drivers side edge of the dash pad. May not have to take the steering wheel off doing this, but still may have to take the signal and wiper controls off. Could be a pain to get the screws in.....just thinking out loud
Sorry for the out of focus edge, service manual is really thick!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #944
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
what it comes down to is. . . . what is the easiest way to take off the dash. . or if the dash has to come out the whole way. . . I think we HAVE to remove the dash, or at least pull it back so we can get under it.

My thoughts. . . . Have a window guy come in and remove the window. . . . loosen the dash so you can pull it towards the steering wheel. . . (if possible) and work on the car from the window area since it will not be there.

This may or may not work . . . just guessing. . . . but I think it may be easier than pulling the steering wheel and dash completely out.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #945
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
what it comes down to is. . . . what is the easiest way to take off the dash. . or if the dash has to come out the whole way. . . I think we HAVE to remove the dash, or at least pull it back so we can get under it.

My thoughts. . . . Have a window guy come in and remove the window. . . . loosen the dash so you can pull it towards the steering wheel. . . (if possible) and work on the car from the window area since it will not be there.

This may or may not work . . . just guessing. . . . but I think it may be easier than pulling the steering wheel and dash completely out.

Although if it comes down to the steering wheel or the windsheild, I'd go with the steering wheel. Lots of people have taken the airbag off the wheel to have there trim painted, and it doesn't look like the old days when you had to use a puller. (Have not actually looked up how it's done so it may be required)
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #946
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
I AM UNCLEAR, DOES THE 2011 DUCT NEED TO BE USED?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #947
lionssfan

At the top of the dash where the dash meets the windshield......all the way acrosss the top there are fingers coming out of the dash that go into a openings in the body that help locate and retain the top dash pad. You have to back the dash pad out enough to clear these fingers before lifting the very forward part of the dash. And usually before you can pull or lift any thing with the dash pad you have to have all the mount screws out, because it's ridgid or a chance of pulling on harnesses or breaking the plastic pad. If you have to go this far might as well pull it. That way you can cut the opening with it out, and hopefully mount the hud with it out.

if you leave the steering column in I would cover it or tape it, so as not to scratch it up. Trying to cut the pad and install the hud this way there is going to be a lot of contact going on with the dash and column. This dash pad is unusal on the camaro that it doesn't have a lower piece under the steering column that is removable. Most cars do. also, If you need a little more space at the top of the column you can just loosen the column bolts and drop it the length of the bolts or before it hits the bottom dash pad. I don't see any advantage yet by taking the windshield out.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #948
guskd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Transformers
I'm at Steve Doten's shop now. We have the dash pad out and are installing HUD now.
guskd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #949
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
KEEP US POSTED
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #950
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskd View Post
I'm at Steve Doten's shop now. We have the dash pad out and are installing HUD now.
We are doing the same at my home.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #951
lionssfan

Sure would be nice to cut the duct. but then you would have to come up with a good repair. Hey ofer, since your further into this then anybody right now. if you cut the duct clean off at the right side of the IP cluster opening. And remove the one screw on the left side of the duct. Can you pull that piece out from under the dash. It looks like you can. then for a repair going back in........ line the inside of the removed cut duct with a protruding piece of the same plactic and maybe some foam to seal. And slid it into the other cut end.
To fasten plactic pieces on the inside of the cut you could use maybe rivets or epoxy specially made for plactic. just an idea, this might be a better way to go for the level of comfort for most on this post. I wish I could start on mine and be of more help.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #952
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
I AM UNCLEAR, DOES THE 2011 DUCT NEED TO BE USED?
Don't think so, the 2011 duct is the same part no as the 2010. (per Ofer)