Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The Z28 rotors will not be a direct fit on the Zl1 due to size difference. The Z28 rotors are 15.5 in dia front and 15.3 in dia rear. The Zl1 rotors are 14.6 in dia front and 14.4 in dia rear.

The Z28 is running 18 or 19 inch wheels and the ZL1 is running 20 so diameter wise I think they would fit. People have even run as small as 17" wheels on the ZL1.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
The new Z/28 has square 19" wheels, and the CC brakes will wear like iron.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The Z28 is running 18 or 19 inch wheels and the ZL1 is running 20 so diameter wise I think they would fit. People have even run as small as 17" wheels on the ZL1.
You are exactly correct they will fit on the spindle/ hub, but the caliper brackets will have to be changed also for spacing. Which will require more than just the cc rotors alone.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I am in the process of putting CTS v generation 2 brakes on my gto. Amazon is killing every body's prices right now as is tire rack. 14" stop tech rotors front
And rear were only $600.
I see prices of BBK kits coming down a bunch.

But don't really see the need for CCB brakes on the Z/28. The ZL1 brakes are plenty.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Damn that is good
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
But don't really see the need for CCB brakes on the Z/28. The ZL1 brakes are plenty.
Do we know this for sure? 3800 pound car, multiple laps and sessions at a brake intensive track like Laguna Seca? The ZL1 brakes may fine for the first couple of laps, but what about more than that? What happens when you move up to R comp tires like the Z/28 comes equipped with? ZL1 brakes might not be up to the task, which is why the CCB brakes were used on the z/28.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Do we know this for sure? 3800 pound car, multiple laps and sessions at a brake intensive track like Laguna Seca? The ZL1 brakes may fine for the first couple of laps, but what about more than that? What happens when you move up to R comp tires like the Z/28 comes equipped with? ZL1 brakes might not be up to the task, which is why the CCB brakes were used on the z/28.
You are underestimating the capabilities of the ZL1..
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #22
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I could be. Do you have personal experience that would convince me? I'd like to know lap times that you run, which track, what kind of tires, how long, and what ambient temps were.

The brakes may very well be capable. I'm a bit skeptical based on the amount of power the zl1 makes and how heavy it is. If the brakes are capable, then indeed the CCB brakes on a Z/28 are not necessary.

Some track setups are easy on brakes and you might be able to get away without overheat. Others are brutal and will have you pitting in after 10 minutes.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Synner

Drives: cars
Pad changes and air ducts and the ZL1 brakes would work great. Possibly a rotor change too for a better metal. Stock I very much agree they'd crap out too on brake heavy courses. Eventually I'd like to change out the pistons to the racing brake set to further reduce heat transfer to the caliper/fluid. But realistically I am now biding my time to hopefully upgrade to the ceramics as well.

The benefit of the carbon is having good heat resistant brakes PLUS their incredibly light weight for a more responsive suspension. But I'd still add ducts to them.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Are your prices from a local dealer? Online parts sites charge much, MUCH less than dealer.

zr1 front rotor PN 25843121
zr1 rear rotor PN 25843128

'GM parts direct' price $1222.34 ea

And I wouldn't doubt that you could find them for even cheaper than that.
New part numbers. Although the prices seem to have gone up a couple of dollars.

Front: 22805790
Rear : 22805791

Set of 4 to the door will be $6191.38 or $1547.85 total each rotor as of today. I'd bet probably 7500 you can get rotors and brakes for the ZR1, probably just a bit cheaper for the Z/28. Maybe.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Synner

Drives: cars
Or 1k with free shipping each, LOL. Found this in 10 seconds, might be able to find even cheaper with some real homework and not a 10 second google challenge.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QBK0QU

Although the Z will cost more, just not sure how much. Hell, get me the hub offset for the center hats and I'll have a machinist build me a set if GM gets stupid with pricing.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post

Originally Posted by Al C.

I could be. Do you have personal experience that would convince me? I'd like to know lap times that you run, which track, what kind of tires, how long, and what ambient temps were.

The brakes may very well be capable. I'm a bit skeptical based on the amount of power the zl1 makes and how heavy it is. If the brakes are capable, then indeed the CCB brakes on a Z/28 are not necessary.

Some track setups are easy on brakes and you might be able to get away without overheat. Others are brutal and will have you pitting in after 10 minutes.
Well stated.

Al C is from Vegas, so he should have direct personal experience in the summer pounding laps at Spring Mountain in a ZL1. That is the experience that would support his comment. We'd relate and respect those kind of experiences to help form an opinion wouldn't we OrthoJoe? Maybe Al C will confirm this and post up some in-car video of same?

Maybe b4z has the same experience and will piggyback to Al C's post?

The sticky Trofeos mean additional energy (g's/heat) that has to go somewhere (repeatedly). I know, and you know, from personal experience.

Who has Trofeo shod Camaro tracking experience at 8/10th's+? That is what matters to me...

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
If you have any major concerns and you feel the carbon ceramic rotors are not ideal for the car? When you buy the Z/28, remove the carbon ceramic rotors and calipers and send them to me. I'll be happy to dispose of them properly onto my car! Caprende?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Well stated.

Al C is from Vegas, so he should have direct personal experience in the summer pounding laps at Spring Mountain in a ZL1. That is the experience that would support his comment. We'd relate and respect those kind of experiences to help form an opinion wouldn't we OrthoJoe? Maybe Al C will confirm this and post up some in-car video of same?

Maybe b4z has the same experience and will piggyback to Al C's post?

The sticky Trofeos mean additional energy (g's/heat) that has to go somewhere (repeatedly). I know, and you know, from personal experience.

Who has Trofeo shod Camaro tracking experience at 8/10th's+? That is what matters to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
If you have any major concerns and you feel the carbon ceramic rotors are not ideal for the car? When you buy the Z/28, remove the carbon ceramic rotors and calipers and send them to me. I'll be happy to dispose of them properly onto my car! Caprende?
I think your ability to comprende this thread has been compromised. I'm pretty sure everyone here understands the benefits of CCB, particularly for a car as fast and heavy as the Z/28. Consumable cost of running CCB at the track can be an issue if they do not last long enough. Some CCBs have been proven not to last. Here's an excerpt from an article on the new GT3:

"The increased steering precision and damper control due to the near-40 pounds savings in unsprung weight easily justifies the $9210 cost, in the opinion of Preuninger. Additionally, the PCCB setup has excellent wear characteristics on the road. Still, PCCB components wear at about the same rate as the standard steel setup during heavy track use. The high cost of PCCB pad and rotor replacement is a matter of consideration for a small number of Porsche owners. Due to this, Porsche offers a unique steel rotor and a brake pad setup for PCCB-optioned cars, available through the parts department at Porsche dealerships. Owners can then fit this steel setup to their GT3 for track days, helping keep the costs of wear items in check. Again, this setup is for owners who drive their cars very hard at the track and on a regular basis. Most owners do not need to bother with this setup but the option is there for the few that do."

Link to article: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz2aj7JUORp

On a lightweight and lower power car like the GT3, iron rotors work just fine. However, if one were to do the same thing on a Z/28, I am very skeptical that iron rotors would be up to the task for a car as heavy and powerful as the z/28 is.

I'm not too thrilled about the cost of replacing CCB rotors after 5-6 track days. Iron rotors are an unlikely alternative for track use. Comprende?