Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 11-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
B1DealerManagementSystems

Drives: Corvette Z06
American LeMans GT1 for 2010 Camaro 5th Gen

Hi All,
Does anyone know if any of the racing teams involved in American LeMans Series (ALMS) Manufacturers GT1 Championship are presenting a 2010 Camaro?

My company is interested in getting involved with GT1 raciing. It would be great if you would provide us some feedback on your experiences or following of American LeMans and how we can get involved with sponsorship or a new Camaro or even a whole new team.

All the best,
Jim
B1DealerManagementSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1DealerManagementSystems View Post
Hi All,
Does anyone know if any of the racing teams involved in American LeMans Series (ALMS) Manufacturers GT1 Championship are presenting a 2010 Camaro?

My company is interested in getting involved with GT1 raciing. It would be great if you would provide us some feedback on your experiences or following of American LeMans and how we can get involved with sponsorship or a new Camaro or even a whole new team.

All the best,
Jim
Jim, I'd be happy to put together a team with a 2010 Camaro if you're willing to throw enough money at it.

Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
I need a sponsor and already have a 2010 camaro. Doing a HPDE this weekend at Road atlanta.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
i am in, you need someone to drive the car.. of course, i am your guy...look me up. lol
Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
NJSS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS - Inferno Orange 6 spd
Lawdogg149:
Let me know how you make out at the DE with your Camaro. Do you have any suspension work done?
I was at a HPDE a couple of weeks ago at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville NJ (not driving my Camaro, but another car) and a guy had a Camaro in one of the middle run groups. He did very well with a totally stock Camaro. He said the car felt good on the track but had a bit of understeer.

How about a nice KONI Challenge car?
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Hi All,

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim,

First things first. GT1 (in the US) is almost dead, the GT2 class is where everyone is racing, as well the factory backed Corvettes have gone to that class. In Europe the FIA GT Championship will all but replace GT1 for LeMans and so forth there as well. Also the Camaro unfortunately would be far outclassed in GT1 if that class even still existed. Either way if it was around it would be a poor place to start for someone new, as well as a poor place for the Camaro to run against cars like the Aston DBR9 and Maserati MC12.

So I am assuming you are looking to sponsor a team. Man I wish you were around about 3 years ago when I still had a current competition license and was looking for sponsorship. Its REALLY tough out there for young drivers. At this point I have not heard of anyone running GT2 with the Camaro, probably because the Corvette, Ferrari, and Porsche are all such viable and established options in that class. I'm sure it can be done, but at this point I believe Grand Am Koni Challenge is the only place with Camaro based teams for next year. Either way you would best be served contacting the sanctioning bodies

http://www.grand-am.com
http://www.americanlemans.com

They can point you in the right direction of teams that have petitioned for entry to the 2010 Season running a Camaro. Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
there will be Camaro's running in Koni and Stevenson Motorsports is running Camaros in Rolex Grand Am series next year. Think they're running a two car team as well. No Camaros in ALMS, probably too much drag, would be far out-classed even in GT2.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
oh, I heard Pratt & Miller is building them for Stevenson. I've also heard that Riley Technologies are building some.
716-634-4100
talanpomeroy@aol.com
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #9

GT2 Sponsorship Guidance Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Hi Jim,

First things first. GT1 (in the US) is almost dead, the GT2 class is where everyone is racing, as well the factory backed Corvettes have gone to that class. In Europe the FIA GT Championship will all but replace GT1 for LeMans and so forth there as well. Also the Camaro unfortunately would be far outclassed in GT1 if that class even still existed. Either way if it was around it would be a poor place to start for someone new, as well as a poor place for the Camaro to run against cars like the Aston DBR9 and Maserati MC12.

So I am assuming you are looking to sponsor a team. Man I wish you were around about 3 years ago when I still had a current competition license and was looking for sponsorship. Its REALLY tough out there for young drivers. At this point I have not heard of anyone running GT2 with the Camaro, probably because the Corvette, Ferrari, and Porsche are all such viable and established options in that class. I'm sure it can be done, but at this point I believe Grand Am Koni Challenge is the only place with Camaro based teams for next year. Either way you would best be served contacting the sanctioning bodies

http://www.grand-am.com
http://www.americanlemans.com

They can point you in the right direction of teams that have petitioned for entry to the 2010 Season running a Camaro. Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.

RogueLeader,,, thanks for the detail and guidance. Yes, we are beginners at GT1/GT2 racing and not embarassed to admit it. We are looking for help. We saw what Compuware did with their sponsorship of a Corvette becoming the GT1 Champion at LeMans and would like to duplicate their performance. I was thinking that the new Camaro would be a lower cost racecar platform and one that GM might want to see us showcase... but, many on this thread are suggesting that it simply would not be competitive.

I will reach out to the sanchioning bodies as you suggest - thanks.

If you know of any young drivers (male or female) please let me know. We would love to find the next Danika Patrick.

Our group has been very successful with Formula One racing, however. Last year, with McClaren Racing and Vodofone, we introduced Lewis Hamilton as a new F1 Driver and he won the championship. There are some videos on our website - www.b1dms.com .

We want to do something exciting in the U.S.... with a U.S OEM manufacturer... preferably GM to help the company get back on track.

All the best,
Jim
Old 11-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Jim, I'd be happy to put together a team with a 2010 Camaro if you're willing to throw enough money at it.

Thanks for posting the VisualTech mockups... yes - this is what we want to build. Here is another example...
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
diddiyo

Drives: .
looks much much better than those ugly ass mustang and challenger cars theyll be using soon in nascar
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
RogueLeader,,, thanks for the detail and guidance. Yes, we are beginners at GT1/GT2 racing and not embarassed to admit it. We are looking for help. We saw what Compuware did with their sponsorship of a Corvette becoming the GT1 Champion at LeMans and would like to duplicate their performance. I was thinking that the new Camaro would be a lower cost racecar platform and one that GM might want to see us showcase... but, many on this thread are suggesting that it simply would not be competitive.

I will reach out to the sanchioning bodies as you suggest - thanks.

If you know of any young drivers (male or female) please let me know. We would love to find the next Danika Patrick.

Our group has been very successful with Formula One racing, however. Last year, with McClaren Racing and Vodofone, we introduced Lewis Hamilton as a new F1 Driver and he won the championship. There are some videos on our website - www.b1dms.com .

We want to do something exciting in the U.S.... with a U.S OEM manufacturer... preferably GM to help the company get back on track.

All the best,
Jim
Thanks for your reply Jim,

Have you spoken to anyone at GM directly, I believe Fbodfather on our forum here could probably put you in touch with the right people. Unfortunately the Visualtech mockups show a Camaro built to a sort of GT1 or even JGTC spec which is far too modified for GT2 or Grand Am but I am sure you can find some direction to go with a certain team.

Scott Settlmeire (Fbodfather) would probably be the best place to start, I'm interested to see where this goes but I have to catch a flight to Arizona in a bit so I'll get back on Monday. Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thanks for your reply Jim,

Have you spoken to anyone at GM directly, I believe Fbodfather on our forum here could probably put you in touch with the right people. Unfortunately the Visualtech mockups show a Camaro built to a sort of GT1 or even JGTC spec which is far too modified for GT2 or Grand Am but I am sure you can find some direction to go with a certain team.

Scott Settlmeire (Fbodfather) would probably be the best place to start, I'm interested to see where this goes but I have to catch a flight to Arizona in a bit so I'll get back on Monday. Good Luck!

Thanks RougeLeader... I will try to contact (Fbodfather) via this Forum.
We are also reaching out to Todd Christensen who I understand is the Director of Chevy Racing at General Motors in Detroit. Do you, by chance, know of him?

Jim
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:

Thanks RougeLeader... I will try to contact (Fbodfather) via this Forum.
We are also reaching out to Todd Christensen who I understand is the Director of Chevy Racing at General Motors in Detroit. Do you, by chance, know of him?

Jim
I've heard of him, but unfortunately I have no contact information, but I am sure Scott can get that to you. He I am sure could set you up nicely. I hope this works out, it is really nice to see a company actively looking to sponsor a fledgling team as racing is a really tough sport for the small guys to get any sort of start at without their own personal fortune.

Tags
amls, gt1, le mans, performance, racing