Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #491
Firerader

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary/Hennessey
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #492
ssgirl2010

Drives: 2010 Silver 2SS/RS Camaro
Hoping for good outcomes!!

BTW, OP, was there mods done to the ZL1, or stock?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #493
xtreme2s

Drives: Livernois Motorsports 2010 2SS/RS
While I did earlier, post my thoughts on this terrible situation. I can assure from now on that where ever I take my Camaro in for "anything" to be done.... That I'm going to be very clear on MY rules of any test drive and its care of car in premises.

While mine is not a ZL1, it is extremely modified Camaro, and to a driver with little experience in high horsepower cars, this crap is what happens. (Look at all the C7 Corvettes that are getting trashed due to stupid or ill-experienced drivers)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #494
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Good luck OP and i hope this gets resolved quickly the way it should've been happy things are turning around for you.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #495
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Sorry for continuing the OT but in Texas they're supposed to drive it to test the brakes. They do every year.
In texas to do a inspection they only have to drive around the building to make sure the brakes stop,nothing more its done normally as its pulled in the inspection bay,...this is coming from a past shop owner the garages normally have a certain amount of feet marked off,and the car does not have to go over 20mph...most repair shops have it written on the paper work you sign that they are allowed to test drive the cars...BUT I ONLY LET MY TECHS TAKE THE CARS OFF THE LOT...there are way to may young inspectors that see a high performance car and go brain dead,and think its ok to hall butt in it,it has happened to a bet 95% of everyone that reads on this forum,but they just dont know it..dealers unlike smaller shops give too much freedom to their employees with customers cars...I would hear stories all the time from friends how they or someone they knew at the dealer had fun in someones vet,etc....not too long ago a chevy dealer since gone out of business bought out,had a employee racing in a 4th gen(customers car in for service) during work hours hit someone doing over 100mph in front of the dealer,and was killed,happen i think 2004 in houston..i saw the Z28 and it was hard to tell what kind of car it was other than one rim ,and a Camaro sticker...sad...he hit a 18 wheeler i think and paid the price....
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #496
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
PQ, I have to disagree with you on your thought of the employer not being held liable for this if I read your post correctly. I think the dealer should be held responsible for his employee's actions. I am a small business owner also.I own a hotel and I will promise you that if one of my cleaning girls would come back after hours with a pass key and go into one of my customers rooms and steal something or destroy something that belong's to one of my guest I would be held responsible for her actions. The first thing my insurance company would ask me is how did she have a key to get into the room? It is my responsibilty to collect all of the pass keys and secure them each day after the work day is complete. If I do not do this it is my ass on the line. Now I am sure I could press charges on my housekeeper but it still falls back on me not collecting all of the keys. With that said I believe the dealer did not secure the owner's car keys and should be held liable and therefore make every effort to satisfy the owner of the car that was totaled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
PQ, in the interest of a debate free New Year's Eve, I think we can both agree the owner needs to rethink his risk management strategy. He may have THOUGHT he had reasonably secured the customer's car, but he has discovered otherwise.

He had two choices from the beginning: make it right and lose some money out of his pocket, or try to win on legalities and potentially lose much more (reputation).

We'll see how it plays out.

Happy New Year! Padre
Essentially we agree in theory and principle. Just not implementation and legal liability.

We all agree that the business (dealership in this case) should IMMEDIATELY make the client whole. Sounds like all three of us would do just that. I just don't think we so quickly make it a forced issue. Let the business make that decision and live with the consequences. Insurance should be kept by all of us in some way.

Too many of our decisions are being taken from us because 'The People' know best how we should lead our lives. Businesses and citizens.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #497
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Wow, so not only are businesses supposed to share ownership with their employees without ANY liability going to the employee but the business is also supposed to be liable FOR the employee 24/7?

If service based jobs could go overseas we'd have nothing left.

It would be a good business decision for the dealer to make it right by the customer ASAP. But we go back to the notion that people should be FORCED to make the decisions they make.

This mentality is sickening to me.
How is doing the right thing by a customer "forced", "coerced" or "under duress"?

If you are a business owner, then you understand the concept of accountability. Whether or not your employee was on the clock or not, he went onto your property and took something in your possession without permission from the owner AND you, the business owner, and ultimately damaged it.

Whilst I understand your point of "making whole", this dealership still needs to be held accountable for its lack of controls to prevent something like this from happening. Suppose this was about a $75k Z/28 or $100k+ ZR1. Would you feel the same way?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #498
NerdWerx

Drives: '13 ZL1
All this speculation and claims for "making stuff right" aside, I was wondering if there was any update on this from the OP. That is, if you're allowed to discuss it at all.

No one here (as far as I can tell by reading most of the topic) really knows exactly what's going on, except for the OP and the dealer, and possible some legal representation, with the slight possibility of GM being involved as well. Just because the dealer may have come off like a major douchebag to begin with doesn't mean it'll end that way. Personally, I get defensive when I'm accused of something too. Even though, eventually, down the road I may realize that, yeah, it was my fault to begin with.

So...any updates? Anything that can be said at all?

-NerdWerx
Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #499
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzII View Post
How is doing the right thing by a customer "forced", "coerced" or "under duress"?

If you are a business owner, then you understand the concept of accountability. Whether or not your employee was on the clock or not, he went onto your property and took something in your possession without permission from the owner AND you, the business owner, and ultimately damaged it.

Whilst I understand your point of "making whole", this dealership still needs to be held accountable for its lack of controls to prevent something like this from happening. Suppose this was about a $75k Z/28 or $100k+ ZR1. Would you feel the same way?
I'm talking about LEGALLY. To be held LEGALLY accountable is forceably.

A business should do right by a client period. BUT should not be forced by law. (in a case like this anyway, where the dealer did secure the car)

In other words if this went to court I do not think the business should be found at fault legally. Not if they could show reasonable actions taken to secure the car. Some of you have a different idea of reasonable control. If it were a non-employee would make no difference to me. The car was stolen.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #500
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'm talking about LEGALLY. To be held LEGALLY accountable is forceably.

A business should do right by a client period. BUT should not be forced by law. (in a case like this anyway, where the dealer did secure the car)

In other words if this went to court I do not think the business should be found at fault legally. Not if they could show reasonable actions taken to secure the car. Some of you have a different idea of reasonable control. If it were a non-employee would make no difference to me. The car was stolen.
Were the keys in a lock box with only owner access?

Case closed.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #501
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Were the keys in a lock box with only owner access?

Case closed.
Right. With great power comes great responsibility.

I doubt it matters. I'm sure even in that scenario you'd still feel the same.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #502
Smokey jr.

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro
THOSE F STICKS....GO TO THE NATIONAL NEWS....THEY MIGHT EAT THIS ONE UP...GIVE 24 HRS NO ***** FOOTIN AND THE GO...WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU HAVE TO LOOOOOSE
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #503
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
I HATE DEALER'S PERIOD......when its time to get my car in...i become crazy and wanna kill everybody...,I DON'T TRUST THEM...... They are bunch of liar and they take you for a ignorant...So im not really surprise about what happening in this tread,, the eternal war Customer vs Dealer.
I'm really piss off reading this tread.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #504
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
It comes down to the overall operation of the business. I have spoken to owners in our auto mall and brought this story to their attention all have told me they have insurance for this sort of thing and would make sure the owner is taken care of. Seems to me like some said this particular dealership didnt have good management nor an actual system to prevent this

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1