Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
anyone who is saying its not about the tires but about the driver has never seen chicago weather at its worst. You honestly have no idea what your talking about when most factory wheeled cars with winter or all season tires stand no chance at some of the weather here. its so bad here, there is a salt shortage and the news tells every1 to stay n when its 3 degrees and the roads are slick. u gotta be kidding me. i need winter tires.
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
silly easterners, here in washington i can run summers all year long....
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I've always done fine with all-seasons, but the next time I can afford the investment I plan to buy some snow tires. I can't think of a good reason NOT to. The way I see it, if I do fine with all-seasons, snow tires should be like a luxury. It's not like they're a waste of money -- when you're using them you're not wearing your all-season or summer tires. The only extra expense is the rims for them.

I also don't need a lot of power, good handling, or good brakes to get to my destination safely but I like having them.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
anyone who is saying its not about the tires but about the driver has never seen chicago weather at its worst. You honestly have no idea what your talking about when most factory wheeled cars with winter or all season tires stand no chance at some of the weather here. its so bad here, there is a salt shortage and the news tells every1 to stay n when its 3 degrees and the roads are slick. u gotta be kidding me. i need winter tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
silly easterners, here in washington i can run summers all year long....
lol here in charleston I can do the same thing.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Chicago boy here, my whole life in Chicago I have used all-season tires, been through all the nasty blizzards and what-not in Chicago since I was a teen.

Even though I'll stick to my SUV as my winter car (with all season tires) If I had too, I would stick all-season on my Camaro.

Knowing how to drive in the snow is a huge deal, so I believe some do know how to drive w/ Summer tires in the snow.... I would never do that, my drives are interesting enough with all-season tires.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
JayhawkSS
Autobot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
So does anyone know if the Camaro comes equiped with summer or all season tires?

I agree that driving has alot to do with it. I live in Kansas and the amount of snow that we get is moderate. However there are those days when I tell me self, "man I'm glad I have a 4x4 SUV".
JayhawkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS View Post
So does anyone know if the Camaro comes equiped with summer or all season tires?

I agree that driving has alot to do with it. I live in Kansas and the amount of snow that we get is moderate. However there are those days when I tell me self, "man I'm glad I have a 4x4 SUV".
Depends on the model. From the order workbook:

1LS/1LT: P245/55R18 touring all-season tires
2LT: P245/50R19 touring tires
1SS/2SS: P245/45ZR20 front and P275/40ZR20 rear Pirelli summer tires
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Sorry BUT driving in snow is one thing. Stopping and then going at lights on a hill is another. I dont care how good a driver you are, come to my town and try driving on all seasons and you'll see! You prolly live in a flat town or something.
There are plenty of hills and such in my area, and yes we have traffic lights as well hehe! There are plenty of places in the world where I would prefer Snow tires, Canada is one of them, Buffalo as well. This has been a prety terrible winter where I live (Southern NY, Long Island), but we have had them in the past and I survived fine on all seasons. I'm sure no matter how bad the winter is here, its not as bad as you would have in Canada. But you shoudn't assert All seasons have no place, they do, and they will work if need be. But If I had to deal with winters like you probably have, snow tires are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig
Wrong. The rubber compounds are just as piss poor for snow as they are for summer performance. Performance tires are great in the summer and suck in the winter, snow tires are the opposite, all seasons suck at everything. People who use all seasons know nothing about proper tires.
Thank you for your assertion that I know nothing about tires. You have no idea who I am or my credentials, but I see you are good at taking the monkier of a respected car tester. I guess you've taken a few track days maybe did a few autocrosses in your M3, so now you know everything about road racing, tires, etc. Spoken like a typical BMW owner...

So if we are making assertions about eachother I am going to assert that I likely have more experience behind the wheel of everything you could possibly imagine to drive in my left pinky than you ever could have. Not only that I've driven on every kind of tire you could imagine, and I've driven cars just like this in the snow on all seasons and had just as easy of a time driving as anyone else on the road. Do summer tires and winter tires have their place, absolutely! Will a summer tire or winter tire handle the road better or handle snow better (respectively) than any all season? Definitely. Can an all season do both respectably, from someone who HAS driven them A LOT, absolutely.

See when you ASSuME you make an ASS out of U and try to make one out of ME. But thanks for your input.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thank you for your assertion that I know nothing about tires. You have no idea who I am or my credentials, but I see you are good at taking the monkier of a respected car tester. I guess you've taken a few track days maybe did a few autocrosses in your M3, so now you know everything about road racing, tires, etc. Spoken like a typical BMW owner...

So if we are making assertions about eachother I am going to assert that I likely have more experience behind the wheel of everything you could possibly imagine to drive in my left pinky than you ever could have. Not only that I've driven on every kind of tire you could imagine, and I've driven cars just like this in the snow on all seasons and had just as easy of a time driving as anyone else on the road. Do summer tires and winter tires have their place, absolutely! Will a summer tire or winter tire handle the road better or handle snow better (respectively) than any all season? Definitely. Can an all season do both respectably, from someone who HAS driven them A LOT, absolutely.

See when you ASSuME you make an ASS out of U and try to make one out of ME. But thanks for your input.
All I see is wah wah wah BMW owner, and then you agree with my point.

And judging by the crap around here(like the chrome bling 22" wheel people), I do know a fair bit more than most here. And yes, I've driven them all, a lot, on track an off. PS2s for summer, Dunlop M3s for winter, R-Comps for track ONLY.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I hate big wheels, I mean I all for some 24's on a 96 impala but its a limit, especially for muscle cars.... I will be doing 19's in the front and 20's in the backs

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #25
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I hate big wheels, I mean I all for some 24's on a 96 impala but its a limit, especially for muscle cars.... I will be doing 19's in the front and 20's in the backs
That runs the risk of f'ing up your traction control. I'd look into that more if I was you.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
All I see is wah wah wah BMW owner, and then you agree with my point.

And judging by the crap around here(like the chrome bling 22" wheel people), I do know a fair bit more than most here. And yes, I've driven them all, a lot, on track an off. PS2s for summer, Dunlop M3s for winter, R-Comps for track ONLY.
No I didn't agree with your point. You said All seasons suck at everything, and are piss poor in all situations. I said that I believe they aren't and that I don't know "absolutely nothing" about proper tires, as in MY opinion all seasons work fine. However YOU are not qualified since you have no idea who I am or what my experience is to decide that MY opinion and my experience is BS and make an ignorant blanket statement like you did.

Judging from your second line up there I'm sure you probably do know a fair bit more than most here, you are definitely right there, but it doesn't mean you're always right.

Thank you come again.....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Alls I have to say is I am from Canada, and you need snow tires in the winter here. It is such a necessity that in Quebec it is mandatory to have winter tires and other provinces are thinking of following suit.

I guess I have 1 more thing to say, If you drive this car in Canadian winters, I feel so bad for your car, cause it will be holier than the pope in 7 years or less with how they salt the roads around here.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
If you drive this car in Canadian winters, I feel so bad for your car, cause it will be holier than the pope in 7 years or less with how they salt the roads around here.
Is THAT what happened to my cow?

1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote