Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #43
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
And a cop was really going to "keep tearing it apart" over a misdemeanor? Really?
Yes they can. They do the same thing here with peoples stereos. If you get pulled over due to having your sound system too loud, not only is it a $200 fine but you get a court ultimatum to have the system removed. On the second offense it's a $500 fine, car is impounded and they remove it themselves and you have to pay labor. I've seen it down twice and they use only 2 tools, a hammer and a pry bar and they are not gentle.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #44
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
over priced paperwieght

UUmm ,that makes no sense whatsoever.Let's see. He knows all the laws regarding traffic violations.He trains police officers to use radar and lidar guns. He participates in REAL WORLD tests for radar detectors.

Also at CES 2 years ago he went up to the Rocky mountain radar booth with $5,000 in cash.Told them if they can jam his radar gun he would give them the cash. They wouldn't accept the Challenge. Jamming radar is 100% illegal,you can only jam lidar for now.
It makes perfect sense. He is a qualified operator. It doesn't make him a technical expert on the matter. He is a subject matter expert on the operation of the equipment. Not the design. Again just because your qualified to operate a car it doesn't mean your qualified to design one.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger View Post
People hide pot growing operations in attics and basements so that cops and others don't see them through the window.

When people rob stores they wear things on their face so that it is harder for cops to catch them.

Many people that rob houses at night wear black so they can hide if they run from someone.

Should attics, basements, black clothes, and bandanas be illegal?

Not advocating either side of this argument, but that did not seem like a valid argument to me.
the difference is in original intent. those items you mention are not designed to assist in breaking the law. a radar detector serves no function but to help people from breaking the law. I have a ski mask because it gets damm cold outside in the winter. I own dark clothing because I don't always want to wear light clothing. But a radar detector? They're only function is to give users advanced warning of police trying to catch speeders.

And now that you mention grow ops, police can use infrared cameras that detect abnormal heat levels coming from you're attic, basement, or garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
Yes, it shouldn't be illegal. We're not talking about burglary devices or guns. We're talking radar detectors and about exceeding the speed limit. Not talking about race-track speeds either. Speeding isn't a big deal. Against the law.....yes! But don't act like you don't speed. We all do it, (of course w/ some exceptions).

I wasn't saying it was unfair for the police to enforce the laws or doing their job, I'm just saying that as long as they "hide" and shoot you in the back with radar, then that's not fair. Fair would be sitting in the median and if you radar me before I slow down....my prize is a ticket. BUT if I see you first and slow down before the radar gets me....well I should win that one. That's fair.

Did I mention that I don't run a detector? However, as long as there will be "sneaky" in the bushes radar tactics, there will be radar detectors. And that's absolutely fine with me.
The difference between cheating and fair play depends on whether you stand to benefit or not. I've sped and I've been caught. And the most recent time the cop was in a white unmarked impala sitting in someones driveway after a recent snowfall. I didn't have a hope of seeing him ahead of time. But do I blame him for being sneaky? No, because I was the arrogant prick who thought I could get away with breaking the law. He was a cop whose job is to look out for public safety, including my own.

I can't blame you for using game references, I compared it to Russian Roulette. But there is no prize, only penalties. At the very least, speeding costs us money. At worst, it costs people their lives.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #46
Namhcah

Drives: 2004 Cavalier / 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger View Post
People hide pot growing operations in attics and basements so that cops and others don't see them through the window.

When people rob stores they wear things on their face so that it is harder for cops to catch them.

Many people that rob houses at night wear black so they can hide if they run from someone.

Should attics, basements, black clothes, and bandanas be illegal?

Not advocating either side of this argument, but that did not seem like a valid argument to me.
Ummm yea....attics, basements, bandanna's, and black clothes have other uses other than being used during the commission of a crime. Radar detectors were specifically designed to aid speeders with avoiding speeding tickets. They have no other use other than helping to break the law.

Crowbars and other tools are used in burglaries, but have normal uses...Not illegal.

Gloves used to keep from leaving fingerprints, have normal uses...Not illegal

Metal tubing is used to smoke crack cocaine from, but obviously has a normal use, its not illegal.

Even hookahs used 90% of the time to smoke marijuana from, people contend they smoke tobacco from it, so it has a normal use and is not illegal.

I hope your getting my point, because I'm not going to sit here and list every piece of property I've recovered in my time as a officer which has been used during the commission of a crime.

If your not, the point is, just about anything can be used to assist in committing a crime and getting away with it. However they are not designed specifically to assist in committing a crime and therefore are legal. Radar detectors don't have a normal use however and so they aren't like the previously mentioned items.

Not trying to start an argument with anyone, Just a little bit of logic from the law enforcement side.

damn, DG beat me..... thats what i get for not reading ALL the way down...and in regard to Zyal8r comment "Speeding isn't a big deal." I know I don't have to repeat that fact that there are more deaths caused by speeding vehicles every year than there are deaths caused by violent crimes. Speeding is a pretty big problem...thats why just like we have a homicide unit and assault squad, we have a traffic unit!

Last edited by Namhcah; 02-05-2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: .
Namhcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #47
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Why do these always turn into cop bash fests? Many from teenagers that think they are honestly going to convince us "a cop targets me because of my vehicle".

No, they target you because you drive like a dumb ass. If you are such a "good" driver, keep it on the track..it is not a competition there. If you get a detector, more power to you...nothing wrong with it. If you truly believe it is the cops FAULT after you speed with a detector then you truly deserve every dime of that citation and more...
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #48
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Speeding tickets are a means of generating revenue for the community. That's why you won't see the speed limits raised anytime soon. But anyway I use the Valentine One - I DO recommend it. It has saved me a lot of times.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #49
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
the difference is in original intent. those items you mention are not designed to assist in breaking the law. a radar detector serves no function but to help people from breaking the law. I have a ski mask because it gets damm cold outside in the winter. I own dark clothing because I don't always want to wear light clothing. But a radar detector? They're only function is to give users advanced warning of police trying to catch speeders.

And now that you mention grow ops, police can use infrared cameras that detect abnormal heat levels coming from you're attic, basement, or garage.

The difference between cheating and fair play depends on whether you stand to benefit or not. I've sped and I've been caught. And the most recent time the cop was in a white unmarked impala sitting in someones driveway after a recent snowfall. I didn't have a hope of seeing him ahead of time. But do I blame him for being sneaky? No, because I was the arrogant prick who thought I could get away with breaking the law. He was a cop whose job is to look out for public safety, including my own.

I can't blame you for using game references, I compared it to Russian Roulette. But there is no prize, only penalties. At the very least, speeding costs us money. At worst, it costs people their lives.
First off, if I choose to speed and possibly face the consequences, then I am doing it right out in the open...in your face so to speak. Needless to say, the police with the radar gun ALREADY has the upper hand. Again, I'm out in the open and NOT running a detector, so that's TWO upper hands that they have. So with that in mind, yes hiding in the bushes or back down the on-ramps, or shooting laser behind a power pole IS SNEAKY. That's almost the sneakiest thing I've ever heard of. That's beyond sneaky. That's having an a HUGE advantage over a guy like me who just likes to speed sometimes.

Some here will spout the "breaking the law" or "speed kills" routine to make a speeder look bad, but in harsh reality, most people speed either on occasion or all the time. Am I advocating speeding or breaking the law? Hell no, not for you or anyone else. But I will choose to view it or do it however I wish. It's not my intention to hurt ANYONE and I don't speed where it could lead to trouble. But out on an open road with nothing but cows and fences or on a clear stretch of interstate, you can damn sure bet your 2SS that I'm gonna mash that friggin' gas. And for most Camaro owners out there (My opinion) mashing the gas is a big reason why you want the car in the first place. For if that isn't true, we'd all be driving mini-vans.

In short...haha...driving over the speed limit out in the open w/no radar detector "protection" is being a hell of a lot more fair to the ticket-writing officer than he's gonna be to me, i.e. bush-hiding and shooting me from behind just for a little over the speed limit. I'm just sayin'.............

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #50
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver

Drives: M3
V1 is the best option, the arrows are invaluable.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #51
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
Speeding tickets are a means of generating revenue for the community. That's why you won't see the speed limits raised anytime soon. But anyway I use the Valentine One - I DO recommend it. It has saved me a lot of times.
ooook..

Municipalities, local, and county governments do not set the speed limits. It is set by Engineers of U.S. or State Departments of Transportation. A complete separate entity that receives absolutely no revenue and no advice or input from Law Enforcement citation numbers. It DOES take statistics from high crash and population zoning. D.O.T. receives absolutely minimal funding from citation numbers limited to construction and maintenance of roadways. Regardless, the Eng. that sets it receives ZERO incentive. I can only speak for the State of Florida for 2008 and D.O.T., which only received 2% of total fines and 2% to education. They seem to spread it throughout.......

I do not see a benefit to the State to decrease or increase those speed limits. I have seen them increased in the past when it is a low volume of crashes in that area....as it should be, anywhere else..absolutely not
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #52
Namhcah

Drives: 2004 Cavalier / 2010 Camaro
I can only speak for Missouri and its pretty much the same here...
Namhcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #53
jude

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
Oh yea, and drink plenty of milk and don't run with scissors
lmfao!
jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #54
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
V1 saved me a ticket yesterday. Picked up a cop about a half mile ahead of me and on the other side of a hill. Could have been expensive too because the speed limit drops from 50 to 35 right there.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #55
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
9500ix
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #56
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
V1 is the best IMO.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote