Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette Tuner in Tampa Orlando lakeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
how about a ZL1 6l90e swap like this guy:

http://**************************-cama...p-into-ss.html
Yes Ive been tuning this car via Email
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #44
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
For me I road race way more than drag strip, I need a 5 speed at the least. The other thing I've been thinking is you can get a new/nearly new stock tranny for a 2 grand or less. I's need to replace this thing 4-5 times to get the cost benefit of going to the 4 speed. My Tranny lasted 30,000 miles at least 8000 of that was rally/road course.

WOW...I'm surprized that it lasted that long.
Since you're a roadracer guy (as am I) I won't say you're using the wrong transmission.....manual would work better and last longer.

But since you're committed (and thats cool) heat is the number one enemy of any hydromatic auto....especially with a stall converter which gens heat all by itself.

If you can keep it cool, it will last a very long time, but extended time of high temps will kill it.

Things you can do.....to keep it cool.

1. Dewitts makes a large capacity radiator for the Camaro with integrated oil and trans cooler...water based cooling is the best....yours is probably two stage now....tranny cooler to aux air cooler right?
2. Bring a garden hose to the track and park next to a spigot. Between sessions run water over your external cooler while idleing and bring the temp back down to 170......auto trannies take hours to cool down without assistance.
3. If you overheat the trans and burn the fluid (you can smell it)...flush it all out an replace with new....I hate that part....lil expensive.

And I agree with the Huffer...Circle D makes a great upgrade ($4K) for strength.....but it won't last if you can't keep it cool.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
I went with a PATC 6l80. Should be here late next week. I do not want to go the 4 speed route.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #46
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewylew View Post
I went with a PATC 6l80. Should be here late next week. I do not want to go the 4 speed route.
That Phoenix looks pretty tough.
Most vendors focus on strength modifictions which is great....primarily for drag racing.

I wish someone made a cooling solution for the 4 or 6 that would keep the temp under 200 for a 20 minute spin on a road track. But I know the demand isn't there because 98% of club drivers use manuals....me included.
I take my auto on the track sometimes, but the temp thing just becomes another constraint.

I wish GM would source an SMG from germany....that would be the bomb.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
WOW...I'm surprized that it lasted that long.
Since you're a roadracer guy (as am I) I won't say you're using the wrong transmission.....manual would work better and last longer.

But since you're committed (and thats cool) heat is the number one enemy of any hydromatic auto....especially with a stall converter which gens heat all by itself.

If you can keep it cool, it will last a very long time, but extended time of high temps will kill it.

Things you can do.....to keep it cool.

1. Dewitts makes a large capacity radiator for the Camaro with integrated oil and trans cooler...water based cooling is the best....yours is probably two stage now....tranny cooler to aux air cooler right?
2. Bring a garden hose to the track and park next to a spigot. Between sessions run water over your external cooler while idleing and bring the temp back down to 170......auto trannies take hours to cool down without assistance.
3. If you overheat the trans and burn the fluid (you can smell it)...flush it all out an replace with new....I hate that part....lil expensive.

And I agree with the Huffer...Circle D makes a great upgrade ($4K) for strength.....but it won't last if you can't keep it cool.
That radiator sounds great. Time was a factor, one of my biggest events of the year is right around the corner so I didn't have time for a proper build.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #48
speedmon

Quote:
That radiator sounds great. Time was a factor, one of my biggest events of the year is right around the corner so I didn't have time for a proper build.
Whatever you're doing, given the longevity you've seen, you're doing something right, especially with the whipple power and the track duty.

It'd be interesting to know what failed on your 30K trans.
If you can use a stocker and squeeze 30K miles out of it with track punishment....you may as well buy low mileage used ones for $1300....I think I saw one here the other day.

What kind of converter are you running?
And who tuned the trans?
How many whipple miles was that of the the 30K
Do you have stock 327 gears?
Were you running special fluid?

Do you mind sharing your specs?

Power on!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
The part that kills me about trannies like this, (this is a quote for the 4L80E) is how high 'normal operating temperature' is listed as acceptable. 265 degrees is not conducive to a long lasting tranny.

From the Silverado Owners Manual:
.....If your vehicle has a Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission, you will have a Transmission Temperature Gauge,
....When your ignition is on,the Gauge shows the temperature of the transmission fluid. The normal Operating Range is from 100 Degrees (38C) to about 265 Degrees (130C)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #50
cl1motor

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro
the 6L50/80/90 all have the same gears, just beefier internals to handle the extra torque. The 6L90 should hold up stock to the horsepower you are putting down and plan to put down.
cl1motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #51
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Speedmon, thanks for that tip on Dewitts radiators, I looked them up and it turns out they are less than 10 miles from where I live. I stopped in there today and talked to John there and he showed me all around their shop and explained their operation. He showed me the stock trans cooler and their trans cooler, and there is a HUGE difference. Their operation and workmanship look first rate for sure, the shop is very clean and they were very busy. They just picked up the contract to supply Ford Racing which they were pretty excited about. I was able to look at their Aluminum radiator they build for the Camaro and when I do my trans conversion this winter one of their radiators will be part of the project. I figure for what a good auxiliary trans cooler would cost and what it would do, I might as well go with one of their serious radiators with the big trans cooler, I feel it will be money well spent.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #52
speedmon

Glad to provide some value.....
Its funny you live that close.

They make good stuff for a good price and they will custom make just about anything you want.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #53
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Hey Guys, my tranny went out on the squirrel so I'm looking at options.

The dealer will drop a new one in for me for 3200, seems like a good deal but it's just going to break again so maybe not.

I'm capable of doing my own labor. So swapping transmissions isn't a big deal. I do a lot of road racing and a little bit of dragstrip.

I make 550 at the wheels and am happy at that power level, might pursue up to 600 but nothing more than that.

I have a rally the first week of August so I don't have a ton of time.

Most of the builds I see are for massive HP dragstip cars. I need something more mild. I also remember hearing people talk about dropping a truck transmission in. Could you make recommendations please?
Big Squirrel due to a recent very bad experience with a "upgraded" "built" 6L80E transmission that didn't last 90 days of only ordinary street driving, I now believe the new Goodwrench 6L80 is the way to go. It only cost me a little over $4,000 to arrive at that conclusion.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #54
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
how about a ZL1 6L90e its about the same price from gm as an 80e, just need the zl1 crossmember and a new driveshaft
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #55
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
I think the 6l90 is a great way to go for those who are at a power level that justifies the additional cost of the crossmember and driveshaft and any additional flashing and/or tuning costs and needs a bit more toughness than the 6l80 can offer.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #56
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
bump

so what happened, OP?

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6l80e