Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I remember doing this first mod to my V6 2LT.....2 years later I bought my ZL1.

Have fun...you'll learn lots.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
So I made it through my first HPDE on stock pads, Motul 600 and SS brake lines. I still have a lot of brake pad left. I didn't experience any fade during the 17 turns of Sebring, but I did get some chatter. I'll be upgrading pads the next time I go out.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I found this post from a link in the "First track day" post and wanted to throw in my opinion on the Hawk HP+ pads. I've used them on my car for 4 HPDE days and have had 0 issues with them. There's a decent amount of pad left on them too. I think the people who don't like them are ones with faster cars than a stock auto SS. They weren't too bad on the rotors either. For someone with a stock V6, which is lighter and slower than the SS, I don't see why you'd need anything more than the HP+ or equivalent from a different brand. The fact that you did ok on the stock pads is proof of that. The DTC 70/60 that was recommended to you is definitely overkill.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
HP+ will eat your rotors alive in street driving. Extremely abrasive.

Either Carbotechs in XP8 or XP10, or G-loc's in R8 or R10 are better choices. Bite, noise and dust roughly comparable, much gentler on rotors, good to higher temperatures for track use. With a little lead time I know that Carbotech can make up pads to fit most anything, if it's not something that they regularly build.

Norm
Old 04-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
Silent...

I wasn't sure if I was going to start a new thread with my new brake setup for the next HDPE or reply to this one, but since we're "alive" here, here goes. I'm going to HP+ on the fronts for my next HPDE in two weeks at Sebring. My final decision on going with them was made after talking with a motorsports shop/support team who attends many events lending services to various individuals and teams. They know Sebring very well and various vehicles that have used various brands and types of pads.

This potential issue of HP+ on the street is a mute point here because thread was all about pads for HPDE use, not pads for track and street, because it is well documented that those do not really exist. No sense in trying to beat that dead horse again.

Oh, and the other part of this is, I'm going with Cadillac ATS Brembo calipers on the fronts along with R1 Concepts Carbon Alloy Slotted Geomet Rotors all the way around. Rears will remain stock with AC Delco pads. A bleed will be done as well. Pictures and a possible separate thread to come after the install next Sunday.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Old 04-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Yes, the topic is (nominally) HPDE use. But let's be practical here.

Unless you're going to swap pads in paddock or no earlier than immediately before going and no later than immediately after returning home, suitability for even limited street duty is something that an HPDE driver who doesn't trailer his car is going to run up against. And the harder it is to swap pads, the more likely it is that the track pads will see more street miles rather than fewer.

Norm
Old 04-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #21
Silent...

I understand what you're saying, but considering that I was asking about pads for HPDE use and not multi-use, then swapping pads is not impractical.

Last edited by Silent...; 04-16-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
I'm interested in trying hpde or auto x for the first time and was wondering if you had any advice in which driving group to try or where to start or training before I start. I live in orlando btw.
Also how bad is it on your tires. I have zl1 tires right now and think I need a cheaper set if Im going to wear them out in one or two events.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

For a track day.you will start out in whatever the organizers call their 'novice' run group. For autocross, your class is determined by whatever modifications (if any) you have made to your car. They may in addition offer a novice class with other novices in all different cars that gets scored on an index basis.

Some surfaces are worse than others as far as tire wear rates are concerned, and there are many other considerations. Not the least of which being how smooth (good) or jerky/choppy (not so good) you drive.

Norm
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
I understand what you're saying, but considering that I was asking about pads for HPDE use and not multi-use, then swapping pads is not impractical.
No flame intended, but time will tell how long your enthusiasm for swapping four sets of pads twice per track day holds up.

Never mind the possibility that once you've gotten accustomed to the better bite of the track pads you may not even want to drop back to the softer-biting street pads. Or to keep having to re-learn your brakes every time you swap.

Your car should have braking needs about comparable to what my car needs.

Norm
Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
Silver-SS

Thank you for the response. I actually meant which club/group as in chin, nasa, scca, mscc, firm, etc.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
Silver-SS

I just realized I'm derailing this thread. I apologize and will keep on topic from now on. How do you like the stainless lines, feel a difference in pedal firmness?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
Silent...

If I had run the stock lines for a track day and then went out shortly thereafter with stainless braided, then I could probably tell you. Knowing that the fluid gets hot which in turn results in hot lines that can expand, I didn't hesitate to make the change before I went out the first time.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #28
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
No flame intended, but time will tell how long your enthusiasm for swapping four sets of pads twice per track day holds up.

Never mind the possibility that once you've gotten accustomed to the better bite of the track pads you may not even want to drop back to the softer-biting street pads.
Or to keep having to re-learn your brakes every time you swap.

Your car should have braking needs about comparable to what my car needs.

Norm
This a a real issue. Once a car is well setup, dumbing back down is brutal. I always say I will and end up running track alignments and pads on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
If I had run the stock lines for a track day and then went out shortly thereafter with stainless braided, then I could probably tell you. Knowing that the fluid gets hot which in turn results in hot lines that can expand, I didn't hesitate to make the change before I went out the first time.
modern brake lines installed by the factory on performance cars are very very good. There is minimal performance gain with a switch to braided SS.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote