Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
hw
VIN:3802

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Radar

I don't think to many folks will be going under the speed limit, sooooooo, which radar detector will be the hot seller? I was reading up on the Passport 9500ix.
hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
pondo

Drives: '23 SS 1LE
Valentine V1 or 9500. I think there's a website radartests.net or something like that which has good comparison tests!
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
My dad gave me his Bel980 so he could have a reason to get the new Bel whatever model. But the range on that thing was ridiculous. I would pick a cop up from miles away. Though I havn't used it much anymore. I have began to use the best method for getting around a speeding ticket. I have let my foot off the gas, and just drive. Granted I dont drive the speed limit exactly, but I stay pretty reasonably close to it. This has worked for me so far. We will see how long it lasts. Otherwise, I am happy with bels product so far, and if I ever get a new one it will probably be another bel.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Passport
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
I have the Bel rx65. Works great. The Valentine is old and out of date. Any of the Bel/Passport models are great. Since they are the same company the products are very similar adn are some of the top rated on the market.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
I have the Bel rx65. Works great. The Valentine is old and out of date. Any of the Bel/Passport models are great. Since they are the same company the products are very similar adn are some of the top rated on the market.
i thought you can upgrade the valentine via the internet? not sure where i heard that from.... can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
I have the Bel rx65. Works great. The Valentine is old and out of date. Any of the Bel/Passport models are great. Since they are the same company the products are very similar and are some of the top rated on the market.
i love my RX65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SSRS View Post
i thought you can upgrade the valentine via the internet? not sure where i heard that from.... can anyone confirm this?

upgrading the firmware will not help the V1 out at all . i Honestly would not recommend it to anyone. the RX65 is a really geat piece of equipment. I almost crashed(not really) when i herad mine go off the other day and it said "pop" .It was the first time i got a hit for pop.The good part is it wasn't for me, and the cop only hit him with pop and by law pop is just for an estimate they have to use a "k" or "Ka" afterwards. I would have gotten it thrown out of court .

This is the guy i get my info from. He used to be a traffic cop and now trains cops to use radar detectors

http://www.radarbusters.com/
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The problem with radar detectors is . . . lidar. Shoots laser pulses and you don't know you're being tracked until you're hit, then its too late. Only hope would be using a jammer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I always refered to radar detectors as 'Early ticket indicators'. :(
Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
5thGenAnyone?
I'm thirsty

Drives: 1 speed bike
^^ yup. never saw any real use for radar detectors. if you want to speed, try paying a little attention to your surroundings while driving. dont go too fast around low visibility corners or hills, through over passes, or by big ground billboards. i've been using these methods for years and have never even been pulled over for speeding and I speed all the time. couple close calls but thats all. I'm sure i'll get hit one of these days but not yet. I know a couple people that use radar detectors cause they speed all the time and they have gotten multiple tickets. One girl I know just got her sixth. Best $300 they've ever spent.
5thGenAnyone? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Most cops will give you 5-10 mph over. There's really no reason to go any faster than that anyway.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Most cops will give you 5-10 mph over. There's really no reason to go any faster than that anyway.
I give 15-20 because I have a heavy foot myself and I generally do 15 over, so to me....that is the most ethical response

However, if i stop you and you have a detector chances are you will be getting a cite regardless. In addition to that, the detector only works when I do not have the radar on a "hold" position. I don't transmit until I recognize a speeding vehicle, and will wait until you are within range, by then....its also too late.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #13
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Yep we've talked about this in another section here as well. That is why you have someone out in front to get your signal off of. If you are running out alone then you get what you deserve. I have had only 2 speeding tickets in the past 10 years. None of them were when I had a detector. I have avoided more tickets then I have ever gotten with my radar detector in my car. Lasers are impossible to detect but they are also not that common. Radar Roy on radardetector.com is a great source to find out about all your radar detector needs. I recommend if you are in the market for one stop in there and read the reviews and get what you think is best in your price range.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
NeedMyFix
The countdown has begun..

Drives: 1997 Z28/2003 SoftTail
I personally WOULD recommend the Valentine One. This radar detector has saved me like 100 times over the last ten years or so. And yes, you can update the V1, when one is available they will contact you for the upgrade(it will cost you money of course!) It is one of the best performers, if not the best in most categories on any given radar detector test.

Also, traffic radar is a very tricky thing to understand. "Instant on" radar is almost impossible to beat with any detector, especially if you are the only car around. You must first read about traffic radar and understand how it works. Understanding radar and how police use it in conjunction with a good detector is your best weapon against a speeding ticket. Although, the only foolproof method is just to obey the posted speed limit!!
NeedMyFix is offline   Reply With Quote