Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #1
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
HPDE Brake Advice for V6

So I've signed up for my first HPDE 1 (with instructor) event and will probably not do anything in the future other than HPDE 2. I'll be running Sebring International which I know is rough on brakes. I've searched on these forums and NASA forums as well as asking questions of one V8 driver in my upcoming event. All that I seem to run into is confusion. Most recently I had Hawk DTC60/70 combination recommended to me but upon contacting Hawk for some follow up questions I was told that 1) they don't even fit the V6 and 2) they are very aggressive and will warp my rotors. They of course recommended the HP+, which I've read appear to be overwhelmingly not recommended by Camaro5 members for the track. The even organizer recommended just bringing and extra set of OEM pads as they will have a speed shop on site to help me change them out if needed.

So this is where I'm at. So my request to Camaro5 members is that I need some real life experiences from V6 owners on tracks that are hard on brakes. What pads did you use? Did they last? If you just used OEM type pads, were they GM, NAPA, other? Did they perform well for HPDE 1/2 use? You get my drift.

Also, I will be upgrading to Motul 600 and my car has 47k miles on it so the stock lines are good and I'm sticking with them for now. I am still running the stock rotors and pads for now and the pads look good. I am not changing the rotors.

Thank you in advance.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Not sure what your OEM pads are, since you don't mention having the Brembo brake package. I started out doing HDPE's (and still am) using the stock Brembo pads/rotors with a full flush using Motul 600. I've been very happy with the set up so far, but will eventually start to out-drive them, I'm sure.

That said, a good quality pad and a flush with Motul 600 should set you up nicely for HDPE 1/2, maybe even 3....

Be ready to get hooked!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
So I've signed up for my first HPDE 1 (with instructor) event and will probably not do anything in the future other than HPDE 2. I'll be running Sebring International which I know is rough on brakes. I've searched on these forums and NASA forums as well as asking questions of one V8 driver in my upcoming event. All that I seem to run into is confusion. Most recently I had Hawk DTC60/70 combination recommended to me but upon contacting Hawk for some follow up questions I was told that 1) they don't even fit the V6 and 2) they are very aggressive and will warp my rotors. They of course recommended the HP+, which I've read appear to be overwhelmingly not recommended by Camaro5 members for the track. The even organizer recommended just bringing and extra set of OEM pads as they will have a speed shop on site to help me change them out if needed.

So this is where I'm at. So my request to Camaro5 members is that I need some real life experiences from V6 owners on tracks that are hard on brakes. What pads did you use? Did they last? If you just used OEM type pads, were they GM, NAPA, other? Did they perform well for HPDE 1/2 use? You get my drift.

Also, I will be upgrading to Motul 600 and my car has 47k miles on it so the stock lines are good and I'm sticking with them for now. I am still running the stock rotors and pads for now and the pads look good. I am not changing the rotors.

Thank you in advance.
FALSE - they are very aggressive and will warp my rotors. Aggressive hard track pads do not warp rotors.

TRUE - HP+, which I've read appear to be overwhelmingly not recommended by Camaro5 members for the track.

Flush your fluid with a high quality brake fluid. I prefer SRF, but it is expensive to get started with, but the wet boil is so high it does not need to be replaced as frequently as other fluids.

Use your factory pads, preferably almost new so they have thick material. The brake pad material acts as an insulator keeping the caliper cooler.

Be gentle as your factory brakes are not well suited to track use. If you begin to feel any sign of fade, less braking power, back off. Run a cool down gentle lap and then test to see if they have come back.

If you get hooked, we can have track pads made for your V6 or you can upgrade to a SS ZL1 of aftermarket brake setup.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've been using the HP+ pads on my SS at the track and had zero issues with them. Other than being really noisy, they have been decent on the street as well. I still have my OEM pads for winter but I've just been too lazy to change them back.

I'm surprised to be hearing that people are having problems with them. had them on my FRS as well and thought they were great at the track. TRMP is really hard on brakes and they've been very consistent during 20min sessions.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Silent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Not sure what your OEM pads are, since you don't mention having the Brembo brake package.
Stock V6 setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
FALSE - they are very aggressive and will warp my rotors. Aggressive hard track pads do not warp rotors.

TRUE - HP+, which I've read appear to be overwhelmingly not recommended by Camaro5 members for the track.

Flush your fluid with a high quality brake fluid. I prefer SRF, but it is expensive to get started with, but the wet boil is so high it does not need to be replaced as frequently as other fluids.

Use your factory pads, preferably almost new so they have thick material. The brake pad material acts as an insulator keeping the caliper cooler.

Be gentle as your factory brakes are not well suited to track use. If you begin to feel any sign of fade, less braking power, back off. Run a cool down gentle lap and then test to see if they have come back.

If you get hooked, we can have track pads made for your V6 or you can upgrade to a SS ZL1 of aftermarket brake setup.
Thank you. At a minimum I'll go with Motul 600. And if I do stay with stock pads, I'll probably purchase a new set and change them out a week or so before the event and then take the others with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
I've been using the HP+ pads on my SS at the track and had zero issues with them. Other than being really noisy, they have been decent on the street as well. I still have my OEM pads for winter but I've just been too lazy to change them back.

I'm surprised to be hearing that people are having problems with them. had them on my FRS as well and thought they were great at the track. TRMP is really hard on brakes and they've been very consistent during 20min sessions.

Scott
I've read plenty of posts here on Camaro5 that people do not like or trust the HP+ on the track. So that's why I was really hoping that a V6 owner would chime in with some experiences from the track.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Old 12-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Get your seat time with the oem setup
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
V6 owner here. My first track day I had already installed drilled/ slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, DOT 4 fluid and was using EBC RedStuff. They got really hot in the 2nd or third lap and by the 4th lap I had to park it and cool the brakes because they were so unresponsive. The track I was on had a lot of turns so there was a lot of braking going on. At the end of the session my brake pads were so fried (literally crispy and brittle) that they were almost not recognizable as EBC pads. For the shorter one lap sessions I have been on there was no problem at all.

Now I have the 4 pot Brembo from a Cadillac ATS in front and yellow stuff pads all around, but I haven't been to a track yet with this set up. But the bite is now amazing and I am very happy with the set up now.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
HP+ failed very quickly but they do have great initial bite. A good autocross pad but not something that can handle abuse. First time out I would recommend DOT 4 fluid and stock brakes because your focus will be learning nto going fast. Then decide if you want to get more serious about track days and start considering upgrades.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #9
Silent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
HP+ failed very quickly but they do have great initial bite. A good autocross pad but not something that can handle abuse. First time out I would recommend DOT 4 fluid and stock brakes because your focus will be learning nto going fast. Then decide if you want to get more serious about track days and start considering upgrades.
Thank you. I understand the mission for the weekend will be learning. I just don't want to be put out early because of my stock brakes. So I'm leaning towards starting the weekend with new stock oems and paying real close attention to how they handle and their endurance. I'm sure my instructor Will be as well!!!

Recommendations for OEM pads? True OEMs or equivalents?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Thank you. I understand the mission for the weekend will be learning. I just don't want to be put out early because of my stock brakes. So I'm leaning towards starting the weekend with new stock oems and paying real close attention to how they handle and their endurance. I'm sure my instructor Will be as well!!!

You have it right. The less variables, the better. OEM pads with good fluid. Have F U N!!!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
Synner

Quote:

When you talk to the instructor go over your concerns and he can help you determine proper brake zones. I would measure your pads and see what you have left. Stock pads for the V6 aren't as good as the SS caliper units but should be ok your first time out.

If you then decide to get serious I would suggest SS or even the ZL1 calipers up front and SS calipers in the rear (same as ZL1 rears). They will be better able to handle the heat and are much better units. If you are getting new pads/rotors anyways then it's the perfect time to do it. The calipers can be found very cheap using AC Delco part numbers versus GM part numbers. Realize that the pads AC Delco sells come in 2 varieties for the SS/ZL1. There is the OEM ferrodo pads and then a more generic replacement pad that is much cheaper and of inferior quality for track use. I wouldn't look at hardcore track pads if you're doing only a handful of events and don't decide to become addicted to modding. Many can be very loud/dusty which most people will find unbearable for a street car.

The biggest thing is regularly bleeding the fluid, especially with the smaller V6 calipers as they don't handle the heat as well and will degrade the fluid quickly when they get hot repeatedly. I'm very hard on my brakes but bleed them after every track day. Some people consider it overkill but I've never gone home early because of a squishy pedal. I'd rather spend $20 in fluid versus losing out on a $250-500 track session.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Silent...

OEM pads part numbers? AcDelco? I hear they have different grades.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
Synner

OEM front: 171-1043
OEM rear: 171-1044

Just look them up on their website. There's 2 other types that are the aftermarket non-OEM part numbers but you don't want either of them for your use.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Silent...

Completed preparing the braking system today by replacing the stock lines with SS Stoptech front and rear, changing out the pads with OEM AC Delco's, and flushing the system with Motul 600. I did find that the Stoptech SS Lines for the front came with incorrectly sized banjo bolts. The thread size was different so we had to reuse the old banjo bolts. Apparently the threads are different b/t the front and rears. We did use the new crush washers.