Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
eBay Drilled Rotors? Second Pair of Rotors?

When I purchased my car a year ago (used) I had to replace all four rotors. And so I did, I bought Rotors from a used car that only had about 4k on it. I inspected my car again last week and the dealer told me I need to replace my rear rotors and pads (again?! ). I suppose its because I needed my pads replaced and they wore out the rotors.

In anycase, I was wondering if I could get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Perf...ab495f&vxp=mtr

or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-K...1981a4&vxp=mtr

I'm not concerended about its looks too much, but I'd like an alternative. It might be because of my discs are exposed and keep getting corroded layers.
My thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
My first question is, what is your mechanics basis for telling you you need to replace your rotors? Are your rotors too thin to be machined? A lot of places try to get you to replace your rotors every time you replace the pads because it's more money in there pocket, it's quicker than machining them or they don't have the proper machining equipment. I would find out instead of just taking his word.

As for the rotors you posted a link to, I personally would not go with a cross drilled rotor on the street as I have seen many crack at the holes. I would run slotted only on the street and I would not use a slotted rotor where the slots run all the way to the edge. I have been told that this type of rotor tends to develop cracks at the edge. If you are only considering the two rotors you linked to, I would go with the second one.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Seems to be very odd. I have 30k miles on mine, and haven't replaced any rotors or pad.
As for the eBay links - I have bought similar, not for this model. I will say though the once the 'zinc' is off, they will get surface rust like any other rotor. I guess the edges and center will be clean
Your last question, having them open makes no difference, all rotors if left will have a slight rust if exposed to the wet you will see it immediately after washing
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I have a bout 47k miles on mine. But a lot of stop-and-go traffic. I might just get a pair of used ones for the rear discs but I don't want the front ones to go out soon either, so I'm thinking of getting the second there on the link. Are they the same size as the OEM? I'll check.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
my exprience has been oem rotors will last longer then aftermarket rotors. Gm applies special rust treatment to thiers. gm tech for 30 years.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
my exprience has been oem rotors will last longer then aftermarket rotors. Gm applies special rust treatment to thiers. gm tech for 30 years.
x2
Just not the GM Tech for 30 years part.