Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Just ordered my 2013! Couple questions--

Hey guys! New to the forum, just recently ordered my new Camaro (and my first ever car purchase, ignoring the one my parents bought me back in HS). It's a 2013 2SS Black/Black Manual. I didn't get any options at all for it though. I didn't really see the worth in the RS package and the ground effects bump the price up way more than I want to spend right now. I was looking at the Short Throw Shifter and the Dual-Mode exhaust but I talked myself out of it thinking I may get Long-tubes and a cat-back. And I like the Hurst Billet shifter.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, my build date is Oct-15th. I've been told "6-8 weeks" for delivery, hoping sooner though :(

So heres my question:

--In the event I decided I did want the dual mode exhaust, I'd be able to order it through a dealer from GMPartsDirect and have them install it correct? What about the shroud at the bottom of the rear bumper that the tips come through -- do they cut it for the dual tips or replace it and is that included in the price for the exhaust advertised on GMPartsDirect?

--I didnt get NAV because I figured "...Smart Phone"... But if I want to go back and get it added on later is that an option as well? Is it just the software package they have to load or is there wiring/GPS-Unit intallation required as well?

-- If I said I had 2-3k for aftermarket additions (performance, handling, anything) what would be the first "must haves" (assuming price of parts only, not installation cost. I have the installation part handled).

-- Is there a wheel that looks a lot like the B2 Forged VS1 or CV1 that isn't 6 grand for the set?
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Hey guys! New to the forum, just recently ordered my new Camaro (and my first ever car purchase, ignoring the one my parents bought me back in HS). It's a 2013 2SS Black/Black Manual. I didn't get any options at all for it though. I didn't really see the worth in the RS package and the ground effects bump the price up way more than I want to spend right now. I was looking at the Short Throw Shifter and the Dual-Mode exhaust but I talked myself out of it thinking I may get Long-tubes and a cat-back. And I like the Hurst Billet shifter.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, my build date is Oct-15th. I've been told "6-8 weeks" for delivery, hoping sooner though :(

So heres my question:

--In the event I decided I did want the dual mode exhaust, I'd be able to order it through a dealer from GMPartsDirect and have them install it correct? What about the shroud at the bottom of the rear bumper that the tips come through -- do they cut it for the dual tips or replace it and is that included in the price for the exhaust advertised on GMPartsDirect?
Yes you can have the dual note exhaust installed through a dealer. The rear diffuser is a separate part that you'd have to buy. I think it's like $75 or something close to that.

--I didnt get NAV because I figured "...Smart Phone"... But if I want to go back and get it added on later is that an option as well? Is it just the software package they have to load or is there wiring/GPS-Unit intallation required as well?
You'd have to replace the entire head unit, get a new antenna, new onstar module, new wiring harness, along with some other stuff. It's doable, but complicated. 2SSRS is doing a DIY write up on how to retrofit it into pre 2013 camaros.

-- If I said I had 2-3k for aftermarket additions (performance, handling, anything) what would be the first "must haves" (assuming price of parts only, not installation cost. I have the installation part handled).
cold air intake, sub frame bushings, radius rod bushings, lowering springs, if you're OK with losing your powertrain warranty then long tube headers and a tune.

-- Is there a wheel that looks a lot like the B2 Forged VS1 or CV1 that isn't 6 grand for the set?
I can't afford any of the wheels I want so I just stay out of that section of the forum
comments are in red
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
NoleLife

Oh wow! All of that has to be replaced to add NAV to a 2013 without it? I figured since it already has the 7in touch screen and everything that it would be a simple issue of a firmware update and maybe adding an antenna.. : /

I didn't know long tubes voided powertrain warranty :( . I'm not sure I want to do that then in the event I do need the warranty. At least not until it's either up or I'm in a position making a bit more money.

Any opinion on if the dual mode is worth it? Or if I should just go with something like the Texas Speed or Corsa Exhaust?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
The Stig

Quote:
Oh wow! All of that has to be replaced to add NAV to a 2013 without it? I figured since it already has the 7in touch screen and everything that it would be a simple issue of a firmware update and maybe adding an antenna.. : /

I didn't know long tubes voided powertrain warranty :( . I'm not sure I want to do that then in the event I do need the warranty. At least not until it's either up or I'm in a position making a bit more money.

Any opinion on if the dual mode is worth it? Or if I should just go with something like the Texas Speed or Corsa Exhaust?
I would just go aftermarket, you'll get better sound and it'll be cheaper.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I would just go aftermarket, you'll get better sound and it'll be cheaper.

And the conversion over to NAV for non-NAV cars will be expeeeeensive, just FYI.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Congrats and welcome!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
If you have 3k for mods and want wheels. Maybe should see if you can call and upgrade to a 1LE package. It's a $3,500 option and will give you sweet rims, tires, exhaust, better gears and upgraded suspension parts. Longer wait i'm sure.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
NoleLife

Since you say it's cheaper I am assuming you are indicating an axle back and not a cat-back?

Would it be too hard to get the rear diffuser for quad tips and have an axle back with that setup? I really like the looks but want a good sound too.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
NoleLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
If you have 3k for mods and want wheels. Maybe should see if you can call and upgrade to a 1LE package. It's a $3,500 option and will give you sweet rims, tires, exhaust, better gears. Longer wait i'm sure.

Longer wait, and I don't have the 3k for upgrades at this moment. To get it on the car I would need to save that up on the front end making it take even longer. I'm just looking to plan out what I want to do over the next few months. Also, I like the 1LE package but on a black car it gives it the black-out look and while I liked that a couple years ago it's not exactly what I want to go for anymore.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
The Stig

Quote:
Since you say it's cheaper I am assuming you are indicating an axle back and not a cat-back?

Would it be too hard to get the rear diffuser for quad tips and have an axle back with that setup? I really like the looks but want a good sound too.
an aftermarket catback would still be cheaper than the OEM dual note exhaust. It wouldn't be hard to put quad tips on an aftermarket exhaust, and ordering the diffuser is easy too.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Find the one you like and buy used. I got my Magnaflow 3" comp catback for $425 like new. New price was over $1,600.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
The quad tip performance exhaust is WORTH IT. Yes, i agree that you can get an awesome simple axel back fro cheaper that will sound great, but i couldn't say no to quad exhaust (or whatever you want to call it) and i have hear plenty of others.

The sound is incredible and i love the tips/ look. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
NoleLife, Stieger covered all your questions......so with that, CONGRATS on the new ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
The quad tip performance exhaust is WORTH IT. Yes, i agree that you can get an awesome simple axel back fro cheaper that will sound great, but i couldn't say no to quad exhaust (or whatever you want to call it) and i have hear plenty of others.

The sound is incredible and i love the tips/ look. Just my 2 cents though.
I have to agree The quad exhaust is worth the extra $$ , fantastic sound ! You won't be sorry .

Mike
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote