Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
DutchCamaroDriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exclamation Strange problem, engine dies after a few seconds (2010 2SS Supercharged)

Hi guys,

first of all, thanks for being such a great site! I didnt introduce myself yet because I'm currently still putting mods on my car and pictures and stuff will follow later, but for now I got this wierd problem ...

Info about my car: 2010 2SS model (automatic), it's supercharged (the magnacharger tvs 2300) with a complete Kooks exhaust system.

Since I live in Europe (The Netherlands). I don't have on-star and since the car isn't sold over here I can't take it to the dealer. I have brought up the problem with a couple of companies, but so far they have no idea and they would be needing the car for a while and run some tests .. but before I give my car away and possibly loosing mucho cash I figured I ask here first.

So here is the problem, I will try to be as clear as possible:

It's parked at the store (drive TO the store went fine). I turn on the engine, it starts fine ... it works as normal, no weird noises or anything. I put it in reverse, I back out of my parking spot ... so now i'm in the middle of the street. I brake, put it in Drive and boom ... engine dies. I cannot restart it right away ... cars are coming and I'm blocking the road ... I stay calm. Put it back in Park, turn the ignition off and try again. After about a minute or so (little less) I got it to start again and I drove off.

Next day. I'm parked at my parents house (the drive TO my parents house went fine). I want to go home so I step in, start the engine, put it in Reverse to back away from a close car. I brake, put it in Drive and I go forward. I have to make a turn so .. I drive a bit forward and put it in Reverse again to make a turn. Boom ... engine dies again. Couldn't restart for about 30 seconds. I try all over and finally it started again after a bit.

This is making me very nervous because it doesnt give me any error msg or lights on the console, nothing at all. It's not fuel or anything, I always get my fuel at the same place. Maybe it's the pump? Maybe it's something electrical? Is it the gearbox?

If anyone has any idea it would be great. I can take some ideas to the shop and maybe they can work from there before I loose my car for weeks and paying a lot of money w/o a solution.

Thanks anyway!
DutchCamaroDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
fuel pump???? it interesting that you cant restart it right away.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Sounds almost like a vapor lock in the fuel line, but in modern cars that wouldn't be my first suspect. That usually happened with the old metal fuel lines and usually only in hot weather. Since you have modded it, you might want to check to make sure that the fuel line is tight at all connections to make sure it can't suck air into the line. Next in my mind would be the fuel pump and the delivery system. Not that familiar with the vehicle's electronics, but there is probably a fuel pressure sensor. That sensor likely controls a relay switch which switches power to the fuel pump. When the sensor senses a drop in pressure, it should tell the relay to turn on and make the fuel pump run. Either the relay or the sensor could be culprits as well and would probably be cheaper than replacing the fuel pump. You'll have to spend some time diagnosing it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
DutchCamaroDriver

Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone has any more ideas ... would be much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I just went throught the SAME exact thing.

Mine was surging a bit at idle. Not too bad but enough to notice. and would die EXCATLY the way you describe. TVS2300 and all.

Only difference is mine would start faster than that.

Turned out to be a header gasket leak. I used the felt Borla gaskets.

After that I agree with the fuel system. Check the gaskets frist though.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The intial start up power to the fuel pump only lasts for 4-5 seconds and then if the ECM does not detect the proper fuel pressure it does not continue providing power to the pump. Each time the key is cycled it starts over and provides the intial power to the pump, etc. I supect there is an issue related to the pressure detected.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
DutchCamaroDriver

Thanks PQ ... I'll make the guys check that first!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCamaroDriver View Post
Thanks PQ ... I'll make the guys check that first!
It's a long shot for sure. But an easy fix.

Tags
engine dies stalls