Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Thanks, I was looking for that pic too.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.

you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.

not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol
So says the LT1 owner. Dude, cars have come a long way and with the power and displacement they're pushing these days, dual exhaust with an X or H pipe is the only way to go. That's how we do it with GTOs and Corvettes. Why would the Camaro go back to the Y pipe?

And I would bet you that it'll be dual exhaust anyway. And with the efficiency and power of new LS engines, it'll be the right way.

For the record, the GTO comes stock with a resonator which is like an extra muffler. Maybe the Camaro will do that. We'll see.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #17
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
So says the LT1 owner. Dude, cars have come a long way and with the power and displacement they're pushing these days, dual exhaust with an X or H pipe is the only way to go. That's how we do it with GTOs and Corvettes. Why would the Camaro go back to the Y pipe?

And I would bet you that it'll be dual exhaust anyway. And with the efficiency and power of new LS engines, it'll be the right way.

For the record, the GTO comes stock with a resonator which is like an extra muffler. Maybe the Camaro will do that. We'll see.

The regular SS w/ LS3 6M will more than likely not have a resonator, I remember seeing a post that said the L99 makes a funny noise when in 4cyl mode. Because of this, they had to change the exhaust between the 6M & 6A...just another reason to get the LS3...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #18
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
arent h pipes supposedly better?
From experience, I think your mid pipe works with your catback. When I had my 95 GT, I had an X-pipe / Flowmaster combo .. I didn't like the sound and swapped it for the H-pipe .. it actually made a little more power. I have heard that with a chambered muffler, the H-pipe complements it better, with a non chambered muffler, the x-pipe will compliment it more ..

All in all, it problable boils down to preference as a little here or there wouldn't make up for the sound that one likes ..

Crowley