Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Congrats! Can't go wrong with black
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #30
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Long Tubes will make you very happy
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Congrats! Looks good.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Run through a couple tanks a premium and then do the fuse pulls people mention here already. Instead of going into drive, shift all the way down to manual (M). Providing you don't touch the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, this will put you in sport mode which is more aggressive than regular driving mode with lower miles per gallon as well.

I normally hit the traction control button twice which puts me in competitive mode which is a little bit more fun driving assuming it's not wet outside. Press and hold the traction control button for about seven seconds and it will completely turn off all the nannies. Be careful though because you have no computerized help if you go sideways. Competitive mode leaves some of the computerized features on but just not as restrictive as stock. These changes are temporary only last until you turn the car off. You have to do them every time you start the car if you want them on.

Be careful about tunes because they leave some remnants behind from what I've read in these forums even if you remove them. If you end up with some problems GMs can look for any reason not to honor the warranty and that could be just the thing to do it. If you're okay with that and I would highly suggest a tune.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was mentioned. I have a 2010 SS/LS3 and last week I had the rear end 3.45 gear set switched out to a 3.91 gear set. OMG what a difference this switch out has made! A great mod for about a grand that I would certainly recommend.

Congrats on the new car....it looks exactly like mine did when I got it on 6/17/2009!

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #34
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Congrats on a very cool ride! Be careful....once your bitten by the mod bug, you'll find it very difficult to stop!
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #35
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Congrats and welcome to Black Camaro Club
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Honestly, I would suggest you throw one of our tunes on it. It will install in a few minutes, can easily be turned 100% back to stock, and it will easily give you that extra TQ that your looking for (amazing HP & TQ increases throught the RPM range). We haven't officially released it yet because of the insane volume the C7 has created for us, but PM me and I can work out a special "pre-sale" deal with you. I have them 100% ready to ship,
The claim that the system can be returned to "100% back to stock" flies in the face of all the previous posts and experiences I have read to date. It is my understanding that the ECU does track history of programming changes and that a tune WILL void the power train warranty. It you can prove otherwise, please do so. If not, do not make claims you cannot back or give advise to new users on this forum that may cause them financial hardship if warranty claims can be denied by following that same advise.

If I am mistaken, then my apologies, however I considered a vendor advocating something that could unknowingly void the power train warranty a pretty serious issue.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Congrats!!! I have a L99 and the first must is a fuse pull. Then exhaust, CAI and a tune opens this beast up!!!! Mine is like a totally different car now, I regret not doing the tune sooner. And always put it in Sport mode. I never drive mine in any other mode.

As far as the tune it will void your warranty. You can restore to stock but the computer records it but worth it. Make sure if you get a handheld, you can get rid of the AFM. That alone is worth a tune. I have a superchips and love it. I changed my shift points, gear ratio, etc. It feels and shifts like a race car now.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
kenny45

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
kenny4,

Congrats on your SS! It looks fantastic! How was the initial drive?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Wow, thanks for that! Didn't expect Chevy on here. Initial drive was great. It sounds like there are some things here I can do to make it better and I don't mean that in a bad way. If there is one thing I would tell all auto manufacturers it's always leave something on the table. Most of us want to personalize our cars in some way and even if Chevy put the best cold air,exhaust, etc.,etc. on a new car - guys like me would still want to take it off and put on a different one. Not sure why, we just do that. Thanks for the great cars and give those American workers a big pat on the back!
kenny45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
kenny45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
Run through a couple tanks a premium and then do the fuse pulls people mention here already. Instead of going into drive, shift all the way down to manual (M). Providing you don't touch the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, this will put you in sport mode which is more aggressive than regular driving mode with lower miles per gallon as well.

I normally hit the traction control button twice which puts me in competitive mode which is a little bit more fun driving assuming it's not wet outside. Press and hold the traction control button for about seven seconds and it will completely turn off all the nannies. Be careful though because you have no computerized help if you go sideways. Competitive mode leaves some of the computerized features on but just not as restrictive as stock. These changes are temporary only last until you turn the car off. You have to do them every time you start the car if you want them on.

Be careful about tunes because they leave some remnants behind from what I've read in these forums even if you remove them. If you end up with some problems GMs can look for any reason not to honor the warranty and that could be just the thing to do it. If you're okay with that and I would highly suggest a tune.

All this button pushing info was really great. I definitely haven't done all that yet. As far as the tune from Phadt goes I'm really not worried after talking to them. Thanks again
Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Long Tubes will make you very happy
That's what I told her.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #41
kenny45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
The claim that the system can be returned to "100% back to stock" flies in the face of all the previous posts and experiences I have read to date. It is my understanding that the ECU does track history of programming changes and that a tune WILL void the power train warranty. It you can prove otherwise, please do so. If not, do not make claims you cannot back or give advise to new users on this forum that may cause them financial hardship if warranty claims can be denied by following that same advise.

If I am mistaken, then my apologies, however I considered a vendor advocating something that could unknowingly void the power train warranty a pretty serious issue.
I definitely appreciate the concern and advice man. That's what this place is all about!!

I googled Pfadt and found a Cadillac dealer who sells their stuff and I just gave them a call and asked them point blank - can you see this tune on the caddys and the dude said no. He also talked big things about Phadt and said they make good products and it seems rare that a dealership sells performance products. Anyways, time will tell but I can't wait to get that tune!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #42
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
I have nothing against Pfadt, and like you, have heard great things about their products. However, the whole ECU history issue has been visited and revisited many times See:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79922

If something has changed or if the PFadt tune is somehow unique then that's great news, however I doubt calling your local Cadillac dealer is really the definitive answer.

It doesn't sound like you are that concerned with your warranty and if that is the case then go for it....no doubt at all that it will make a tremendous difference in the feel of the car.

That aside, I would still like to hear from the PFadt rep and the Chevy customer service reps that check in here with regards to the tune versus warranty question.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black widow, camaro