Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Check Engine light on after ARH and Pipeline CAI installed

Ive ran into my first problem with my 2SS. I recently installed a Pipeline True Cold Air Intake and ARH 1 7/8 with Cats and X pipe connected to my Corsa Axle-back. When i installed the Headers i took out all the plugs and plug wires and since the headers were installed, my car has been running very rough. Even while idling it jumps between 500 to 1000rpm consistantly. I ordered a set of Racing NGK plugs and MSD wires that should be here today. My check engine light never came on until about 5 days after the install of the headers. I dont have a Tune on the car, but waiting for it. Im wondering if this is normal with the mods that i have or should i take it to the dealer asap? It wont hurt to take it in, but id rather wait for my Tune and see if that helps. Any advise would be appreciated.
10 Camaro: Built 376, LSA Heads, BTR valve train and Stage III Camshaft. F1A 12 Rib-3.75 pulley (17psi), Squash Dual Fuel System with Return (Dual Walbro 450LPH on a Hobbs Switch), Aeromotive regulator, Holley Fuel Rails, ID1300's. RMVB 4L80, 4K Stall, and Trans-brake. 9" IRS, 3.50 gears with a full spool
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I would get a tune asap. sounds like the engine is running lean. Is it an LS3 or L99? could pull 5 and 20 fuses, leave out for a few hours then reinstall and see if that helps. I would invest in a tuner even if that helps though.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
se7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I would get a tune asap. sounds like the engine is running lean. Is it an LS3 or L99? could pull 5 and 20 fuses, leave out for a few hours then reinstall and see if that helps. I would invest in a tuner even if that helps though.
Thanks for the reply... Its an L99. I have the SCT handheld tuner, but im waiting for Jesse at Wait4MePerformance to send me 3 custom tunes via email. I disconnected the battery and also did the fuse pull. I live in Illinois and run the car on 93. My vehicle is stored at a different place than where i live and im header there soon to hook up the SCT and see what codes it gives me. To me if its running lean then i wouldnt be getting a lose in power. My experiences with smaller engines are that when they run lean they alway run like a raped ape, but will burn through a valve or piston in no time. (but ive been wrong more than ive been right in my life lol)

Let me go get the codes and ill post them to see if anyone can help.
Thanks for the reply

So do you think a tune will take away the light?
10 Camaro: Built 376, LSA Heads, BTR valve train and Stage III Camshaft. F1A 12 Rib-3.75 pulley (17psi), Squash Dual Fuel System with Return (Dual Walbro 450LPH on a Hobbs Switch), Aeromotive regulator, Holley Fuel Rails, ID1300's. RMVB 4L80, 4K Stall, and Trans-brake. 9" IRS, 3.50 gears with a full spool
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
sounds like you may have broke or cracked a spark plug,what is the dealer going to do for you, its not a warranty issue, also you will eventually get these codes from the headers. the codes are caused by the headers and cats that are not as efficient as the stock cats.

pick up a scanner and see what codes you have, and if any cylinders have misfires, if you have misfires replace that cyl spark plug and check the wire,

then get a real tune for the mods

p0420 cat efficiency bank 1
p0430 cat efficiency bank 2
P1133: HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1153: HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
flyby

If you just need to clear codes around here Advanced Auto will do it for free. They also can read codes for you same price.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
just clearing the codes won't fix the underlying problem though, and they will come back...

with the headers, you need to get all the rear O2 sensor codes disabled... all of the bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 codes....

I'm sure those are what triggered the CEL after your header install...
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
se7en

Ok here are the codes that my SCT handheld programmer is reading

PO171 Lean Bank 1
PO174 Lean Bank 2

Any advise?

I cleared the codes the car idled fine for about 2 minutes then started running rough again.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
flyby

Lean codes are usually from the CAI. You can either tune it yourself or have it tuned. I have read other threads that suggested that the codes will clear themselves after a little while.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
LSU/LS3

Drives: Inferno orange
I have had my headers and cai on for about a month and tody after leaving the show my engine light came on. I do have a tune, so i went to autozone the scan the diagnostics and found PO171 PO174. I open the hood and my intake going to the throttle body was off i hope that was my problem. How do i clear my engine light now??
LSU/LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Musclebee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Delivered on 4/23
Have the Corsa Cat backs and ARH on mine also, the engine light came on after 200 miles. They say it needs a tune. Was fine with just the Corsa Cat backs engine light came on after the headers and cats where installed.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Anytime you get a CAI and headers you are going to need a tune... think about it... these cars are programed to look for a certian air fuel ratio. When you go and change the amount of air going in and the amount of air going out (CAI and headers) you really mess up the programmed a/f ratio its looking for. The car cant adjust b/c the computer wont let it add enough fuel so it just leans out and throws a code because you have alot more air with not more fuel. maybe it takes a while, but I am going to say 99 times out of 100 if you change your intake and headers, you will need a to have it tuned ASAP.

As far as catback exhaust, thats nothing. All an exhaust adds is sound. If you don't do headers, you dont change the a/f ratio. All the sensors are prior to the catback exhaust. Plus the stock exhaust is very efficient. Stock intake and exhaust manifolds... not so much.

Cliff's notes:

CAI + headers = tune required.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Headers w/out cats and CAI

so if i install headers w/out cats and a CAI am I gonna have the same problem. Until i get it tuned
csjcsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
so if i install headers w/out cats and a CAI am I gonna have the same problem. Until i get it tuned
more than likely...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I didn't have to pull the plugs when I did mine, only the wires at the plugs.400 miles and no CEL, I guess I am running on borrowed time.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F

Last edited by tjbusa; 02-01-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added mileage
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote