Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
cutting the bump stops

any negative side effects to doing this.

i'm looking to get the pfadt springs. I'm a motorcycle guy so I don't have too much experience with cars.

what do you guys have to say about the subject
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi Alain,

I'd like to explain why we reccommend cutting the bumpstops in our procedure. Our Pfadt drop springs provide a 1.25" drop approximately. As a result of this change in static ride height, the usable region of the damper travel is offset, to be approximately 1.25" lower. The Camaro has a very limited amount of bump travel to begin with, before contacting the OEM bumpstops. We recommend to trim 1" from the bumpstop in our installation procedure to give you back that 1.00" of damper travel, that is not influenced by the added spring rate of the bump rubber. We leave some bump stop in place to give a rising rate on big hits. Because dampers function by resisting the shaft velocity, this offset operating region has no negative effects on the component durability, or performance.

This conclusion was made from testing, and experiencing harsh bump characteristics that some have mentioned, who have not cut them. This of course, is just our position in regards to our own product installation. I hope that helps clarify the reasoning.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
It is a necessary thing as you are lowering the car and effectively shortening the distance to the stop. Otherwise you risk bottoming out. There are some how-to's by Pfadt on here somewhere I'm sure. I know there are some on MC...

EDIT: Beat me to it!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hi Alain,

I'd like to explain why we reccommend cutting the bumpstops in our procedure. Our Pfadt drop springs provide a 1.25" drop approximately. As a result of this change in static ride height, the usable region of the damper travel is offset, to be approximately 1.25" lower. The Camaro has a very limited amount of bump travel to begin with, before contacting the OEM bumpstops. We recommend to trim 1" from the bumpstop in our installation procedure to give you back that 1.00" of damper travel, that is not influenced by the added spring rate of the bump rubber. We leave some bump stop in place to give a rising rate on big hits. Because dampers function by resisting the shaft velocity, this offset operating region has no negative effects on the component durability, or performance.

This conclusion was made from testing, and experiencing harsh bump characteristics that some have mentioned, who have not cut them. This of course, is just our position in regards to our own product installation. I hope that helps clarify the reasoning.
Alain,
This is very accurate, and true about most aftermarket lowering springs, even those not specifically to the camaro chassis. For example my S4 I installed Eibach springs, and for the same reasoning, they asked to cut the bump stops.

If you are interested in the Pfadt springs, we stock their complete product line, and would be happy to help you out. We ship same day before 3 pm EST and offer free shipping.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Alain,
This is very accurate, and true about most aftermarket lowering springs, even those not specifically to the camaro chassis. For example my S4 I installed Eibach springs, and for the same reasoning, they asked to cut the bump stops.

If you are interested in the Pfadt springs, we stock their complete product line, and would be happy to help you out. We ship same day before 3 pm EST and offer free shipping.

Regards
Thank you for the response.

what i was wondering was if cutting the bump stops would lead to possible damage on the car in any other way because of bad road conditions.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Alain,

Regards
why did you use eibach springs lol

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
hmmmmm Hotchkis claims they engineered their lowring springs so that there is no need to cut the bumpstops.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
why did you use eibach springs lol
Pfadt has'nt gotten into the German market :(
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
hmmmmm Hotchkis claims they engineered their lowring springs so that there is no need to cut the bumpstops.
You do not HAVE to cut the bump stops, but if you have have been in the market of installing lowering springs, trimming the bump stop is NOTHING new.

I am confused at the concern for trimming the stop. It still functions in principle the same shorten, and un modified.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Alain

Thank you Brandon. I'll give u a shout out for a purchase.