Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Nash_2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Black
Front License Plate Myth! Texas

Just got a call from the dealership that my license plates are ready. Just checking if there's any way to ask them not install the front license plate as it ruins the look of the car. Instead can i place the plate on the dash, so that its visible?

I heard that its a $200 fine for not having a front license plate.

Do you all have a front license plate on your Camaro?

I dont want a front license plate!
Nash_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Not sure what the fine is, but no I don't.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Yes, I put my plate on when they put the law back on the books. Front windshield does not comply with the law. You may want to look at the hide away front plate systems available.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Camaro724
Banned

Drives: 5thGen(2013)
I have mine on the dash in the passenger corner it's visible..
Camaro724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
alex70olds
~~*~~

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Sampa, TX DPS
DPS has always enforced the automobile license plate law for Texas. The current revision to the law that began September 1st just clarified the maximum fine amount for local jurisdictions. All Texas registered motor vehicles must have a front and rear license plate mounted on the most exterior part of the vehicle. It’s the responsible of the driver to insure the vehicle has a front and rear license plate mounted on the vehicle as describe above before he or she begins traveling on a Texas public roadway. The registered owner/driver must find a way to mount the license plate even though it was purchased without a front bracket or designated area for the front plate. I hope this answers your question.

John F. Sampa

Sergeant
Texas Highway Patrol
Media and Communications Office
Safety Education Office
Region 2
12230 West Rd.
Houston, Texas 77065
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Camaro_13

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2013 Ls
I got pulled over recently and the cop asked why I didn't have a license plate I gave an excuse, and asked if I have ever had a warning about not having a front license plate, and so he gave me a warning and told me if i get pulled over again without a front license plate I would get a ticket for it. I still don't have a front license plate, because I don't care for a front license plate on a camaro.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
alex70olds
~~*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_13 View Post
I got pulled over recently and the cop asked why I didn't have a license plate I gave an excuse, and asked if I have ever had a warning about not having a front license plate, and so he gave me a warning and told me if i get pulled over again without a front license plate I would get a ticket for it. I still don't have a front license plate, because I don't care for a front license plate on a camaro.
I hear ya! I would say that anywhere between 5%-10% of all vehicles in this area do not have a front plate. To me, it was just not worth it.

Name:  ZL1E.jpg
Views: 6809
Size:  184.2 KB

Here is one of the alternatives that can keep you legal, but also hide the plate when wanted. Just one of the choices.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/
Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
txthunder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS White with Beige Top
I walked out of the dealership with plates in hand. Went to Lowes. Picked up a couple of toggle bolts similar to this http://www.lowes.com/pd_326607-10457...lts&facetInfo=
Except the toggle portion was 1 1/4 inch. I was then able to mount the license plate frame GM provided by sliding the bolts through the top two holes, toggle behind the grill, tighten the toggle down. No holes in bumper. Remove and reinstall easily.
Attached Images

txthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Nash_2SS

I took a walk around the 6 Floors of my workplace garage. Almost 20% of the cars missing License plates. Most of them are Infinity's, Merc and Camaro's including mine .

I guess I would go with Manual Hide the plate. its 38$ on Amazon.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Nash_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by txthunder View Post
I walked out of the dealership with plates in hand. Went to Lowes. Picked up a couple of toggle bolts similar to this http://www.lowes.com/pd_326607-10457...lts&facetInfo=
Except the toggle portion was 1 1/4 inch. I was then able to mount the license plate frame GM provided by sliding the bolts through the top two holes, toggle behind the grill, tighten the toggle down. No holes in bumper. Remove and reinstall easily.
Looks good. I would like to go with something like this too.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Nash_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_13 View Post
Some laws in Texas are weird.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
Nash_2SS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
I hear ya! I would say that anywhere between 5%-10% of all vehicles in this area do not have a front plate. To me, it was just not worth it.

Attachment 651795

Here is one of the alternatives that can keep you legal, but also hide the plate when wanted. Just one of the choices.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/
Thanks this works.

btw Your ZL1 looks stunning.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Both times I've bought my Camaro's and ask the dealers not to mount the plate I signed a paper releasing liability and that I understand the law.

Been driving 10 years with no front plate and pulled over about twice a year. Only 3 times did they ever mention the front plates and they just gave me a warning. All three occurrences it was state trooper.

I refuse to put a plate on my front bumper. It's fugly on the Camaro.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
alex70olds
~~*~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by txthunder View Post
I walked out of the dealership with plates in hand. Went to Lowes. Picked up a couple of toggle bolts similar to this
Looks really good! I thought about going that way, but was concerned about restricting flow to the intercooler. I am just paranoid by nature lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash_2SS View Post
Thanks this works.

btw Your ZL1 looks stunning.
Thank you, hardly ever looks that good, I wish they had not discontinued IBM, that is what I originally ordered. Black sux trying to keep it clean lol.

Tags
license plate texas law