Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
1LE at Watkins Glen

Wow what an amazing weekend. Did 3 days in a row starting with novice school on friday which I highly recommend for a first time out. BMW club was full of very friendly and helpful people. Some absolutely gorgeous cars and all across the spectrum from BMW (of course) to Ferrari Porsche and Z06's all the way to older Nissan Maximas and VW jetta's. Some fully race prepped cars too which were cool to see. td195f (sorry I forgot your name) was there with his Z/28 and was the only other gen 5 there besides myself.
The Car 2015 1SS 1LE: OK, being a self professed back road corner carver expert I genuinely thought I had an idea and grasp of the limits of this car. I was 100% wrong. Not even close. My 1LE is completely stock except for a catch can and Borla axle back and powerstop track day pads and is absolutely phenomenal just the way it is. Although I aproached and found the limits a few times the car still has WAY better lap times in it than I have in me at the moment. I hate the sunroof even more than I did before I went due to it's reducing headroom and making my seating position less than optimal. The stock seats absolutely suck for keeping me anywhere near stable and I now know why the Gen 6 has kneepads on the door lol. My left knee is black and blue. The stock Goodyears are phenomenal at least for my driving level. The cornering grip was amazing and the more I pushed the limits the more they gripped until they started talking to me and I finally got a slight bit of slide at their limits. It literally felt like the car was on it side and I was trying to maintain a normal upright seating position. They give tons of audible feedback that helps you know where you are in the adhesion limit. I left the nannies on all three days. I was actually comfortable enough in not having them engage on me that I was going to try competition mode Sunday until a C5 vette went into the wall hard directly behind me and I got spooked a little. I didn't rely on them, but I'm glad I left them all on. The Powerstop Track Day pads had better bite and hauled the car down faster then the stop Brembro pads but be forewarned they scream like banshees and make copious amounts of dust so don't put them on for street use you'l hate them. They lasted all three days for about 80-85 laps but are completely spent on the front and about 30% left on the rear.
The Track: WGI is amazing. Every single turn is different. The changes in elevation are huge. The brand new surface is flawless. It's extremely challenging and there are a number of places you can find yourself in big trouble. It's a little intimidating tracking out of a fast turn on full throttle what seems like inches from a wall while your tires are talking to you. It's very complicated and it took me about 20 laps before I even knew exactly where I was and what turn I was coming up to. You don't really have a lot of time to think at speed.
BMW Club: What a great bunch of people. My instructor was awesome and I give him all the credit for making me so comfortable by mid day saturday. He was never critical and his teaching style was to help me analyze myself rather than just give continuous instruction. I highly recommend anyone close to WGI who wants to do this join BMW club.
This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Please if you own a 1LE or any other track oriented car you owe it to yourself to see what an amazing car you really have and bring it to a track where it belongs.

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm still really excited and wanted to share. I have no video unfortunately since I had no way to tether my phone and untethered devices were not allowed in car.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Glad you liked it, I love that track, never done an actual track day, but have done lots of laps!!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
I was there at the end of April for my first HPDE, most fun I've had driving ever. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Very cool. Welcome to the 'club'.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
1lehunter

Drives: 2013 1le 2ss rs black
Wish I was able to stay all weekend, Black 1le from Friday.
Sounds like you had a good time....I would have put mine in comp. mode and hit the wall LOL. I feel myself pushing it more and more.
1lehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
fatboy99

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Wow man that is kool, and you told it honestly, I used to road race, and 99% of people off the street think they can drive a car to its limits, but they can't come close, as you found out. And driving on the street vs track is like night & day. Can't compare.
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Sounds awesome! The track is definitely addictive, and so are the mods you want to make to set the car up even better. Be careful about shutting down the nannies. I received some great advice from my first driving instructor at a NASA event. Until you are VERY familiar with the limits of your car, and just as important, how to recover once you've crossed that line, they can and will likely save your bacon.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the rant/post. I like to see people as excited as I am about this car. I tell people what this car can do and they just look at me like "yeah right, your full of sh!t, bullsh!ter". These cars are ridiculous for the money, I bought(stole) mine with 6500mi for 31K in 12/14.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lehunter View Post
Wish I was able to stay all weekend, Black 1le from Friday.
Sounds like you had a good time....I would have put mine in comp. mode and hit the wall LOL. I feel myself pushing it more and more.
You were there Friday? How did I miss seeing another 1LE? Friday was a little overwhelming for me. What run group were you in?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
You were there Friday? How did I miss seeing another 1LE? Friday was a little overwhelming for me. What run group were you in?
Because white 1LEs all look the same
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I work with one of the instructors and I'm going to pass along a link so he can read your post.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Because white 1LEs all look the same
Hey now
Old 06-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Wow what an amazing weekend. Did 3 days in a row starting with novice school on friday which I highly recommend for a first time out. BMW club was full of very friendly and helpful people. Some absolutely gorgeous cars and all across the spectrum from BMW (of course) to Ferrari Porsche and Z06's all the way to older Nissan Maximas and VW jetta's. Some fully race prepped cars too which were cool to see. td195f (sorry I forgot your name) was there with his Z/28 and was the only other gen 5 there besides myself.
The Car 2015 1SS 1LE: OK, being a self professed back road corner carver expert I genuinely thought I had an idea and grasp of the limits of this car. I was 100% wrong. Not even close. My 1LE is completely stock except for a catch can and Borla axle back and powerstop track day pads and is absolutely phenomenal just the way it is. Although I aproached and found the limits a few times the car still has WAY better lap times in it than I have in me at the moment. I hate the sunroof even more than I did before I went due to it's reducing headroom and making my seating position less than optimal. The stock seats absolutely suck for keeping me anywhere near stable and I now know why the Gen 6 has kneepads on the door lol. My left knee is black and blue. The stock Goodyears are phenomenal at least for my driving level. The cornering grip was amazing and the more I pushed the limits the more they gripped until they started talking to me and I finally got a slight bit of slide at their limits. It literally felt like the car was on it side and I was trying to maintain a normal upright seating position. They give tons of audible feedback that helps you know where you are in the adhesion limit. I left the nannies on all three days. I was actually comfortable enough in not having them engage on me that I was going to try competition mode Sunday until a C5 vette went into the wall hard directly behind me and I got spooked a little. I didn't rely on them, but I'm glad I left them all on. The Powerstop Track Day pads had better bite and hauled the car down faster then the stop Brembro pads but be forewarned they scream like banshees and make copious amounts of dust so don't put them on for street use you'l hate them. They lasted all three days for about 80-85 laps but are completely spent on the front and about 30% left on the rear.
The Track: WGI is amazing. Every single turn is different. The changes in elevation are huge. The brand new surface is flawless. It's extremely challenging and there are a number of places you can find yourself in big trouble. It's a little intimidating tracking out of a fast turn on full throttle what seems like inches from a wall while your tires are talking to you. It's very complicated and it took me about 20 laps before I even knew exactly where I was and what turn I was coming up to. You don't really have a lot of time to think at speed.
The Glen is Great & I'm waiting to feel the new Track surface.

If you have Leather Seats and you are being tossed around, try Drawer Liners (like you would use in your Tool Box). Put it under your Butt & Back and you will stay put.

Leave your nannies on - I will Not instruct a Student that turns them off!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #14
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
I work with one of the instructors and I'm going to pass along a link so he can read your post.
Cool. I wonder if we met. I talked to a few of them.