Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Magz_rule

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
turbos will only spool at certain rpms that you probably wouldn't be getting into much during you daily commutes and superchargers are constantly going in and out of boost (my buddy has a 11' SS Supercharged and cammed driven daily) so i would go turbos. You will make more power more efficiently and can always control how much power you want and when you want it if you get a boost controller. Plus, you can't beat the spool and blowoff sound of a turbo
-_-
Magz_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Better do some research and see what consistently puts down better numbers at the track for average weekend track joe's. (I'm assuming you're not a pro and this is a hobby?) I think you'll find superchargers are the ticket. These cars are heavy and the turbo lag can hurt them...whereas the instant boost of supercharger helps the old fat girl get off the line.

That being said, a turbo can be set up to go fast as well. But you better be prepare to put more into it than just a base kit. Think boost controllers...probably new gearing.

Now I know the turbo boys are going to come in here all pissed off because of this post. They are going to tell you how all the turbo lag is gone now with new generation systems, etc, etc, etc. But I just encourage you to do some reading and research here. Look at the real world 1/4 mile results of drivers just like you...in situations your going to race in. This has been very well documented.

And I'll say it again...turbos are very cool systems. They lay down a ton of power. No question a turbo is going to lay down way more power and torque on a dyno than a supercharger. But translating that fantastic dyno into a good 1/4 mile track times has been their problem.

When it comes to daily street driving...both are fun as hell in their own unique ways.
cc-rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Op If you are visiting the track alot, maybe you could self install a lsa blower and then with the money left over put it toward a zl1 rear end for durability since it is your daily driver, but I do love my agp tt kit and like the post above says the sounds the turbos and bov make are sweet, but you can't go wrong with the sound of a supercharger either though
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Thanks everyone. As for the mustangs, I was using them as an example. We all know they are lighter and can get down the strip faster than our heavy boats. With that being said, I am sure they have more than a tune and CAI. Some type of exhaust mods as well.

As for the supercharger vs turbo, I am not real worried about Dyno numbers. I have seen big dyno numbers get smoked at the track by smaller number all the time. I want something I can have fun with on the way to work or if someone pulls up next to me on the highway and then something I can take to the track and get low 11s-high 10s. I know that the auto will always be faster at the track but I don't think I could get rid of the manual. They are a lot of fun to drive.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
I ran a 10.9 with a m6. Stock cam, ecs kit, meth, headers/exhaust, wheels/tires, suspension. I dont know of any other m6 that ran 10's with a stock cam.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #20
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
You can have all the power in the world but if you cant put it down it's worthless. Some suspension mods and a set of drag radials would help a lot.
This is probably the most important part of beating a Mustang, or any other target.

That being said, BOTH Superchargers and Turbos are going to make your day. Ain't no best answer there, and IT'S PERSONAL PREFERENCE, as to which is better. Blondes or redheads??? Both have their nuances.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #21
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
The ECS kit has put down some impressive times on the track
Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
OP, you really cant go wrong with either system. More people go faster with superchargers for the simple reason that there are more people with superchargers running at the track. If we took all the FI people from just C5 70 to 80 percent of them would be supercharged cars. So of course more are going to be faster.

my first time ever to the track I ran an 11.19 on an M6. I was babying my rear end and had my two step set way low on the retard. Just decide what floats your boat and run with it. Most people that are running turbos at the track, are not setup properly with suspension and tires, or even a proper two step.

As for the money, AGP made me an offer I could't refuse. In the long run, if you want big power, that you CAN use at the track or on the street, its going to be cheaper for you to go turbo. The LSA is a great option for you, call ADM and talk to them.

Good luck, and do whatever you want, there is no wrong decision here.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I am still doing my research. Like someone said earlier, turbos only spool up at a certain RPM. I want something I can use at anytime on my daily commute. As for the track upgrades I have done a little suspension work and have the Nitto NT05 DRs. When I purchase the FI setup I am going to replace the clutch as well. This clutch likes to stick to the floor on hard launches. I think I am going to need a new cam as well. I have the BTR Stage II and I believe it is only for NA cars.
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #24
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Turbos will start to spool at any RPM, its just a matter of pushing in the throttle. I am at full boost around 4500rpms, but I'm making boost before that. There is no instant hit, like in a supercharger, but its not like it used to be, where you can drink a cup of coffee waiting for your turbo to spool.....As for the cam, if you go turbo, its not necessary, just turn up your boost.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
With good turbo's the AGP will spool pretty darn quick.
I did a quick second gear pull in a automatic from 3000 to 4700RPM.(The thing broke loose so quick that I let off). When I checked the datalog,the boost had hit 18psi of boost.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #26
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
We've sold a lot of turbo kits to guys switching over from superchargers. They are always sooooo glad they did. Including record holding blower guys, never looking back.
That really tells you something.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #27
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
We've sold a lot of turbo kits to guys switching over from superchargers. They are always sooooo glad they did. Including record holding blower guys, never looking back.
I resemble that remark.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #28
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
+1
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote