Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
SS11

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Is my dealer an idiot?

Took the SS in for minor warranty work and figured I'd have them put on my Hawk ceramic brake pads. I'm at 36k miles and the brakes have been squeaking more than usual lately and from a quick glance at the pads they looked to be wearing a little thin.

My dealer just called me and said;
  1. I still have 50% of my pads left and don't need to replace them yet.
  2. The Hawk pads I supplied were inferior quality and that I should go with the OEM pads when they do need replacing.
  3. (and here's the kicker) Although my pads are good my rotors have just 0.6 mm left before they recommend replacing.
How the heck do rotors need to be replaced before pads? And why would they tell me the Hawks, which ran me about $225 each (give or take) are inferior to OEM?

Is my dealer an idiot?
SS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
I don't know anything about Hawk pads but I am sure your dealer would love to sell you pads, rotors, and anything else he could talk you into.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Because you didn't buy them from them. So they can't make money on that. I'd say screw the dealer and DIY.

They are clearly more concerned with their own wallets.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Camaro_34

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
As far as OEM goes this is a standard thing they must and should say to you as far as a business standpoint.
Camaro_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
yes,
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
No doubt, dealers are a business and in it for themselves. As far as the rotors, were they maybe warped, and by time they were cleaned up, they were 6mm away form being too thin? I am not very familiar with Hawk, but the stock OEM Brembo stuff is not to shabby. In the long run, I am sure they are just trying to make as much money as possible.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
To the dealer's credit, he did say that the pads do not yet need replacing... and there is no point in replacing pads until it is positively good and time to. Otherwise, you are throwing away 10, 20, 30 thousand miles of braking. ....................................... However, regarding the rotors, they "recommend" changing them once they get .6 mm thinner than they are now. They "recommend" a lot of crap that doesn't have anything to do with safety, maintenence, or reliability, but has EVERYTHING to do with them making another buck. They can "recommend" all day long, and it really means nothing. ........................................If I were in your shoes, I'd have 'em slap it all back together with the original pads that are on there now, and drive away. Save your Hawks for a year or two or three from now when you really DO need new pads, and check your rotors yourself to see what kind of condition they are in.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS11 View Post
Took the SS in for minor warranty work and figured I'd have them put on my Hawk ceramic brake pads. I'm at 36k miles and the brakes have been squeaking more than usual lately and from a quick glance at the pads they looked to be wearing a little thin.

2. The Hawk pads I supplied were inferior quality and that I should go with the OEM pads when they do need replacing.
  3. (and here's the kicker) Although my pads are good my rotors have just 0.6 mm left before they recommend replacing.
How the heck do rotors need to be replaced before pads? And why would they tell me the Hawks, which ran me about $225 each (give or take) are inferior to OEM?

Is my dealer an idiot?
Yes your dealer is an idiot if they think Hawk pads are inferior quality. I've used Hawks on my race car for years with great success. I'm also using a set of the Hawk ceramic pads on my wife's Boxster and they're working great.

Your dealer is correct that pads at 50% don't have to be replaced. However since you already have the Hawks you might as well go ahead and install them.

No way to know about the rotors without measuring them. Get a measuring caliper and pull the wheels off and find out for yourself. Minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor edge, or can probably be found by searching this site. .6mm remaining might not sound like a lot, but I bet it takes you a while to get from there to minimum.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Your dealer is a salesman. I'd bet you don't need rotors. Put the pads on yourself and only bring your car to them IF YOU HAVE TOO for a warranty item. All else do yourself.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Camaro_34

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
I sat in the waiting room at my dealership waiting for my car to be delivered. In the meantime 7 of the 9 people getting an oil change "needed something replaced". The only two people who did not, were men.
Camaro_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
Your dealer is a salesman. I'd bet you don't need rotors. Put the pads on yourself...
Agreed. I should point out how incredibly easy it is to change the pads in a Brembo caliper. Should be no more than 10 minutes per corner once you get the hang of it. You can probably find a walkthrough in the DIY section, and if not someone will post one.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS11 View Post

Is my dealer an idiot?
Is your dealer an idiot for trying to sell you parts? No.
They're just hoping that you're the typical uninformed vehicle owner.
Who told you all of this? The Service Manager, or the tech that worked on your car?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Let me guess...Courtesy Chevrolet off of Stevens Creek?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
ceramic is inferior...dont let people try and convince you otherwise. its for people that dont like dust not people that want to stop