Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Skidmark

Drives: none
COLLEGE

Hey camaro5!
I just recently graduated from high school and am constantly thinking of the future. Now that im going to college i would like some input on guys that have already already passed my predicament. What were your majors? what is your career? I just want to hear some feedback on what is the most successful or FUN major that i can finally decide on.
Im actually hoping to get into the Computer science but i just cant decide
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Computer Science: Avionics.

Why? Almost everything in the industry is moving to computer control. Internet hotspots on the aircraft, radar, radios, computer controlled flight surfaces..

Also, depending on where you go, you could end up flying for free on the company dime or even earning a pilot's license on that same dime. IMO it's worth it. I went for Jet engines and aircraft in general, but found that I'm also doing just as much electronic and computer work as I am riveting and fixing engines.

Not to mention programmers are being picked up in droves by avionics companies to help design new programs for systems.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
LOL, you better hurry up and decide! I got a management degree. Unless you can handle all of the BS that goes on in business, I recommend you pursue the computer science degree.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I just graduated from KU with a BA in Political Science with 4 concentrations.

If you like computers, start pursuing it right away. Spread out your high-level classes as much as possible over your college career to lighten your workload.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
I have a deree in Hard Knocks. Seriously though, Computer Science is the way to go IMO. Good Luck to you

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If I'm not mistaken, my cousin went into computer science and currently works for Lockheed Martin...and makes a six figure salary.

I'm going to Ohio State next year, Animal Sciences major and DVM after undergrad.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Electrical Engineering w/ a minor in CS.

Best of both worlds with none of the snickering.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Hey camaro5!
I just recently graduated from high school and am constantly thinking of the future. Now that im going to college i would like some input on guys that have already already passed my predicament. What were your majors? what is your career? I just want to hear some feedback on what is the most successful or FUN major that i can finally decide on.
Im actually hoping to get into the Computer science but i just cant decide
Some colleges let you decide on a major after entering college, I know NC State University does at least. Right now I am going into my third year as an Aerospace Major with my real classes coming up now. All I can say is go into a first year program if you can and then go study what you like doing the most and stick with it.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I have a year left of college and I am getting a bachelors degree in Graphic Design. It is so fun, but you really have to have that artistic sense to be successful.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, my cousin went into computer science and currently works for Lockheed Martin...and makes a six figure salary.

I'm going to Ohio State next year, Animal Sciences major and DVM after undergrad.
GO BUCKEYES!

Skidmark, Whatever it is you choose make sure it is something you are interested in doing! Job happiness goes a lot further than a paycheck.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
GO BUCKEYES!
Woot!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Whitten

Drives: -
Recent Auburn Grad here, I started in Pre-Med but hated the curriculum, started to hate medicine more and then decided to switch.

I graduated with a degree in Building and Construction Science from the best BSCI school in the nation (yeah War damn eagle... sorry for the shameless plug)

If there is any advice I have for you it would be this. No matter what you start in make sure that you do your damn best in every class even if it seems stupid. Many colleges within the actual school will have entrance requirements to get into their indiviual programs and in most cases those BS classes can mean the difference between you getting into a major that you might really like.
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
My Uncle does something in the chemical field and makes over a 100k
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
FarmallsForever

Drives: 2000 Silverado, Slightly Modded
BS in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Business Administration. Now to pay off all the loans.

Just remember if you do decide to go into a technical field your education never really stops, there are always seminars and extra classes that one can take that will help your career. For me I will probably will get another degree ( BS in EE) or a Masters in ME not sure, but want to take some time off before I start again. If I ever do. It all depends on what subjects you enjoy working with.

Currently working as a test engineer.
3) Always drink upstream from the herd.
4) Don't squat with your spurs on.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts, Therefore study hard and be evil.

One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. Robert A. Heinlein
FarmallsForever is offline   Reply With Quote