Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #15
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
best way to maintain it looking clean is to properly prep your paint every time you wash it. I wash mine maybe every other weekend. Wait until almost dark before hand too cause water here Is pretty hard and will spot like crazy. clay bar (maybe every few months) and then use a rotary buffer to lay on a good wax, and then gloss coat. For at least a week not much will stick to her other than bugs obviously. But with a SERIOUS wax job you should be in pretty good shape. Really just depends how much time you wanna invest. I got nothing but time and a keggerator.... naturally. Heres a couple high resolution pics of mine after a good cleaning.

Last edited by omgitsmiketuck; 01-20-2015 at 10:28 PM.
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #16
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
I've used a California Duster on mine since day one, paint looks as good now as it did when i drove it home. It mainly depends on your technique in using it. Once a car is dirty or gets any type of film on it, it's time to wash it.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
There's a reason why Arizona has those fantastic sunset colors.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Wind29

Drives: 15 2LT RS, 09 C6, 15 Silverado 4x4
California duster on my black C6 vette. I use it as an every other day driver and its kept in the garage. Works really well - it won't get the car clean per se, but it does what it says it will do.

But even though black is the best looking color... its a reason my wife is considering getting an AGM Camaro soon.
Wind29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
My Two Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
There's a reason why Arizona has those fantastic sunset colors.

I have a black 1LE in Arizona for almost 18months and it still looks fabulous.

Here is what fabulous means to me. It has a great shine and looks perfect under all natural lighting. Under the Garage spot lights you can see the faintest swirl marks and I mean faint in only a few places. In the year that I have had it I have not polished it out with Mazerna or any products like that.
Oh and by the way it is daily driver and is parked outside all day, garaged at night.

When it was born i had the chevy dealer polish it down and put on their version of Opticoat.

Here is how I take care of it.

I use the blackfire polymeric coatings, both the quick detailer and the hand application sealant.

In combination with the opticoat it makes a very hard suface that the dust does not bother when I clean it as follows.

During the winter months the dust is less and I use the California duster every night. More or less like the Junkman video except I only use it when dust is real light and I clean the duster after I do about a quarter of the car.
I clean it by pounding and and rubbing it against an old clean white towel(that my wife donated without her knowledge). You would not believe the black dirt that comes off on the towel.
1 Do the upper surfaces first
2 Do the glass next
3 Do the lowest levels, rockers etc last.
4 After each of these 'dustings' I vacuum the duster with my shop vacuum. this is a critical step to remove the embedded dirt. I also shake it quite a bit during the whole dusting process to keep bits of grit from touching the paint.
5 When its all clean I use the blackfire detailer once a week or once every two weeks.
6 If car gets more than a haze of dust on it then i wash it.
7 Every two months I use the sealant from blackfire to maintain the hard coating.

I am convinced that the Opticoat combined with this polymeric from blackfire is the saviour.

Just my thoughts

Jim
Old 01-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
I had a Summit White 2010 Camaro LS and it stayed looking cleaner longer than the 2014 2SS/RS BRM that I upgraded to. I love the Dark Blue it looks awesome when clean and on a sunny day, but man it collects dust like poop collecting flies.......
chuckstacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Addendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I have a black 1LE in Arizona for almost 18months and it still looks fabulous.

Here is what fabulous means to me. It has a great shine and looks perfect under all natural lighting. Under the Garage spot lights you can see the faintest swirl marks and I mean faint in only a few places. In the year that I have had it I have not polished it out with Mazerna or any products like that.
Oh and by the way it is daily driver and is parked outside all day, garaged at night.

When it was born i had the chevy dealer polish it down and put on their version of Opticoat.

Here is how I take care of it.

I use the blackfire polymeric coatings, both the quick detailer and the hand application sealant.

In combination with the opticoat it makes a very hard suface that the dust does not bother when I clean it as follows.

During the winter months the dust is less and I use the California duster every night. More or less like the Junkman video except I only use it when dust is real light and I clean the duster after I do about a quarter of the car.
I clean it by pounding and and rubbing it against an old clean white towel(that my wife donated without her knowledge). You would not believe the black dirt that comes off on the towel.
1 Do the upper surfaces first
2 Do the glass next
3 Do the lowest levels, rockers etc last.
4 After each of these 'dustings' I vacuum the duster with my shop vacuum. this is a critical step to remove the embedded dirt. I also shake it quite a bit during the whole dusting process to keep bits of grit from touching the paint.
5 When its all clean I use the blackfire detailer once a week or once every two weeks.
6 If car gets more than a haze of dust on it then i wash it.
7 Every two months I use the sealant from blackfire to maintain the hard coating.

I am convinced that the Opticoat combined with this polymeric from blackfire is the saviour.

Just my thoughts

Jim

During the summer, same process, except it sometimes gets a layer of dust to thick to do that so I just wash it. No soap just water to wash dust away and use that super absorbent microfiber drying rag. I forget the name.

Jim
Old 01-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #22
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i live in arizona and the dust is bad. just depends on the color of the car. plus there actually is frost in the morning if the car is parked in the shadow in the morning. the bigger problem is the sun on the paint.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #23
blackoutVIII

Drives: 2011 2SS w/RS PKG
California Duster man!!!
blackoutVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #24
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmiketuck View Post
best way to maintain it looking clean is to properly prep your paint every time you wash it. I wash mine maybe every other weekend. Wait until almost dark before hand too cause water here Is pretty hard and will spot like crazy. clay bar (maybe every few months) and then use a rotary buffer to lay on a good wax, and then gloss coat. For at least a week not much will stick to her other than bugs obviously. But with a SERIOUS wax job you should be in pretty good shape. Really just depends how much time you wanna invest. I got nothing but time and a keggerator.... naturally. Heres a couple high resolution pics of mine after a good cleaning.

NEVER ever use a rotary buffer on a car. You will burn through your clear coat so fast. Use a Dual action buffer.

Tags
arizona, dust, dusty