Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #57
Ls3Raper

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Any difference in dyno numbers will be negligible best. Anyone that thinks paying twice as much or more for a set of headers that may give another 2-5 hp is a fool and I have some beach side property in Nevada I'll sell you for a hell of a deal. Most of the time if a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. Every so often, a good product comes along @ a great price and everyone under the sun discounts or discredits it because they spent waaay more on a higher priced product and assume, un-rightfully so, that theirs is somehow superior in every way because of name brand and price. Sure, they're made in Asia somewhere. So are SP headers, yet nobody seems to have a problem paying $600+ for them. So, the point is, these headers are cheap.........not in quality, but in price alone. Anyone who is looking to do I/E/T should definitely have these on their list of go get parts. Think of it this way, the money saved is the price of a good bump stick or tuner.
You my friend have said it well! I couldn't have agreed or said it any better!
Ls3Raper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #58
985ss

Drives: 2011 SS
Question about these headers, do you need to buy any other parts like a mid pipe or anything to get them to hook up to the factory exhaust? Or do you just need the front bank o2 extensions?
985ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #59
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
You will need the connecting pipes but they come with it if I remember correct.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #60
985ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer2 View Post
You will need the connecting pipes but they come with it if I remember correct.
That's what I thought, I'd just hate to buy them and get started than realize I didn't have everything required.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #61
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 985ss View Post
That's what I thought, I'd just hate to buy them and get started than realize I didn't have everything required.
Everything is included. Add the option for a new GM oem gasket and the O2 extensions and you'll be happy.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #62
985ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer098 View Post
Everything is included. Add the option for a new GM oem gasket and the O2 extensions and you'll be happy.
I noticed that in the description it says band clamps are only included with connection pipes upgrade. Do I need to select that option as well?

Last edited by 985ss; 06-13-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #63
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I am going with Stainless Power because I wanted High Flow Cats, and I don't believe the Speed Engineering Headers are available with cats...I could be wrong.

Another difference in the expensive headers vs some of the less expensive headers has to do with material being used, and the quality of the material. The less expensive headers may not hold up for as long as some of the top end products, that may last a lifetime. This is how it was explained to me at least. Stainless Steel used in ARH and Kooks for example is a much higher quality Stainless Steel compared to the Stainless Steel being used in other price saver brands.

Again, I bought the Stainless Power even though I plan to keep this car for quite some time. Fingers crossed that I didn't make the wrong choice over a few hundred dollars in the long run.
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #64
yadi8888

Drives: 2011 camaro ss ls3
Quote:
I noticed that in the description it says band clamps are only included with connection pipes upgrade. Do I need to select that option as well?
yes you need to do it, i order my two days ago and i add everything
yadi8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #65
Bauer2

Quote:
Yep add everything and your set! Re-use the original clamps that were on the cats and the new clamps and your set. Very easy install took me about three hours because I had to go get a new o2 sensor since the factory cross threaded one in!! Oh and just a PSA don't crank it with open headers its only going to make you sad cause it sounds soooo good!! Unfortunately, its wayyyy to loud if its a DD!!! Enjoy the sound and added power.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bauer2; 06-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #66
Bauer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
I am going with Stainless Power because I wanted High Flow Cats, and I don't believe the Speed Engineering Headers are available with cats...I could be wrong.

Another difference in the expensive headers vs some of the less expensive headers has to do with material being used, and the quality of the material. The less expensive headers may not hold up for as long as some of the top end products, that may last a lifetime. This is how it was explained to me at least. Stainless Steel used in ARH and Kooks for example is a much higher quality Stainless Steel compared to the Stainless Steel being used in other price saver brands.

Again, I bought the Stainless Power even though I plan to keep this car for quite some time. Fingers crossed that I didn't make the wrong choice over a few hundred dollars in the long run.
304 Stainless steel is the same even if it comes from the moon! In order to be classified as 304 is has to meet certain chemical compositions that are standard worldwide. Now the workmanship may lack some when compared to kooks or ARH but if the company outsourcing these to China has a good QA when they get them you don't run into problems very often. I looked at the set I received very closely and I didn't see any bad welds anywhere. Granted you would need to x-ray them to be certain but they all looked good to me and I have been around aviation welders for almost 20 years now so I do know what bad welds look like
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #67
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Agree with above 100%
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #68
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
Quote:
Yep add everything and your set! Re-use the original clamps that were on the cats and the new clamps and your set. Very easy install took me about three hours because I had to go get a new o2 sensor since the factory cross threaded one in!! Oh and just a PSA don't crank it with open headers its only going to make you sad cause it sounds soooo good!! Unfortunately, its wayyyy to loud if its a DD!!! Enjoy the sound and added power.
I've been running mine open header for the past 2 days and it's insanely loud. I haven't found anyone that hasent stared as I drove by, but it is way to loud to DD agreed.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #69
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Open headers is insanely loud I have never heard a car so loud on the road in my life as open headers
Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #70
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
304 Stainless steel is the same even if it comes from the moon! In order to be classified as 304 is has to meet certain chemical compositions that are standard worldwide. Now the workmanship may lack some when compared to kooks or ARH but if the company outsourcing these to China has a good QA when they get them you don't run into problems very often. I looked at the set I received very closely and I didn't see any bad welds anywhere. Granted you would need to x-ray them to be certain but they all looked good to me and I have been around aviation welders for almost 20 years now so I do know what bad welds look like
Yes and no...not looking to start a debate or argument, but 304 stainless steel has MIN requirements to meet in order to be advertised as 304 Stainless Steel. I don't know for sure, but AS IT WAS EXPLAINED TO ME, the lower end 304 Stainless Steel could be very close to the MIN Requirements, whereas the higher end 304 Stainless Steel could be higher up the MIN Requirements scale.

Again, this is how it was explained to me. I don't really care that much, but I not all things are created equally. And US Steel regulations might be more strict when compared to other countries for example. This is not specific to the material being used in our header choices. For all I know, the exact same 304 Stainless Steel is being used by Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works and Power and Speed Engineering, etc. But then again, maybe not...

If you think the world is regulated the same as we do in this country, then you are mistaken. Other parts of the world can get away with much more than we can here in the good old USA.
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote