Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #43
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
A LS3 with a higher redline, N/A, big cam, muffler bypass, higher flowing cats, lightweight 18 or 19s rims, lowered, Aero dynamic package, less sound proofing, stiffer suspension

Sent from my Droid usig Tapatalk
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #44
novaracer

Drives: 08 vue xr
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaracer View Post
m6 only no auto no sunroof option 19"wheels summer only tires ls3 20deg more intake duration 25 exhaust 116 icl lower engine mounts cnc ported heads zl1 areo pkg some recaros with alloy brackets. fiber glass hood and deck lid as well as std rool up windows. and 3" exhaust muffler bypass with auto setting and driver controlled. fe4 bushings eibach sport line springs and sway bars koni sa shocks covertable strut tower bracing. carbon fiber roof option, back seat option also. has to run 12.2 and pull 1.12g on street tires stop from 60 in 101'
direct injection and ls7 ti rods
novaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #45
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
For the cost of that LS3 I'll take an LS7.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #46
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Not going' V6 until we have to.
Agreed. I can't accept that fate, one worse than death itself. Ain't gonna do it...."We're not gonna lose. Not gonna do it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
A big majority feels that way, that's why I think they didn't do it. I'd like to see an LS7 car, but that's a high dollar motor.

Cam, head, intake and headers on LS3 would be nice.... maybe even de-stroked crank and let it rev
Agreed, that is if you do it yourself. GM's all about using what's on the shelf. Certification, R&D....expensive bottom lines. They are not going to go through the LS3 again. Pick your best tool off the shelf and run with it. LS7 is the only logical shelf readily available weapon of mass destruction suitable. May I respectfully suggest you go the GMPP and see what a LS3 and LS7 crate motor cost. Then, look at a few other GM direct wholesalers who sell the same product for a margin less. It's not all that big a difference in price considering the big difference between the two in engineering.
Quote:
The LS7 is expensive, but look what you get. It is a race motor for the street. Hmmm, wouldn't that make for a great Z28 engine?! If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price.
Output increase is for the consumer to do. Historically, Chevy engines are stout, and are given much room for opportunity in the cam, induction, and exhaust areas for improvement. IE...they are watered down. The LS3 and the LS7 as stand alone N/A motors have so much engineered to allow them to turn up the HP volume. But, with the internals designed they way there are, the LS7 is a straight in spades compared to the LS3.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #47
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
OldSchoolCamaro, I think the output increase 2nd Chance was referring to was the production count at Wixom rather than HP. Oh, and Happy New Year everybody!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Yes thanks Clyde.
And yes OSC the LS7 is a much better platform for increasing NA power!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #49
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Seems like this thread has been brought up numerous times before
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #50
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

If you want something bad enough...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Already discussed and dealt with, the new COPO is an NHRA drag race car and does not come anywhere close to being a proper Z/28. Clyde
Truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Seems like this thread has been brought up numerous times before
??????????
Quote:
Yes thanks Clyde.
And yes OSC the LS7 is a much better platform for increasing NA power!
As I wrote earlier....
Quote:
OldSchoolCamaro, I think the output increase 2nd Chance was referring to was the production count at Wixom rather than HP. Oh, and Happy New Year everybody!!
Clyde
Happy New Year to you as well comrade, but I'm confused about your post....I am right on track and totally in line with Chance's thoughts and post to a "T"....
Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #52
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Truth.

??????????

As I wrote earlier....

Happy New Year to you as well comrade, but I'm confused about your post....I am right on track and totally in line with Chance's thoughts and post to a "T"....
I was just clarifying what 2nd Chance was talking about, you seemed to be referring strictly to engine output, he was also talking about the Wixom production numbers and not horsepower when he said "If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price". That's Wixom production output not HP output.

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance:
"The LS7 is expensive, but look what you get. It is a race motor for the street. Hmmm, wouldn't that make for a great Z28 engine?! If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price."

You said:"Output increase is for the consumer to do. Historically, Chevy engines are stout, and are given much room for opportunity in the cam, induction, and exhaust areas for improvement. IE...they are watered down. The LS3 and the LS7 as stand alone N/A motors have so much engineered to allow them to turn up the HP volume. But, with the internals designed they way there are, the LS7 is a straight in spades compared to the LS3."

It really was just a minor clarification, no big deal. It's all good!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #53
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I can tell you this... you guys have it nailed on what a Z28 should be. If I had the choice between a $60k ZL1 at 580HP or a $47K Z28 (505HP Z28) assuming excellent suspension I would lean towards Z28 as a daily driver. Just the idea of having a 427 Camaro (based on small block) would be phenomenal.

Can you imagine that a Gen6 comes out WITH the 427 on the ATS platform (Alpha)? It would be a total ANIMAL. Come to think of it.... that would be a nice plate for it.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #54
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Welcome to the party!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #55
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
This thread is full of great suggestions and pointers of where we would like the Z/28 to be. Now that the ZL1 is nailed down and entering production, I would suggest that GM go ahead and throw out what their targets and broad ideas for the Z/28 are, along with a general idea of when it will hit the street. I think that the rabid hive mind on this here forum can handle it.

Also, I would love to see a slightly more tubbed rear. We need to be able to put at least some 325's back there.

More usage of aluminum and carbon fiber would not hurt anybody's feeling either. (roof, frame, floorpans?? )
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
I was just clarifying what 2nd Chance was talking about, you seemed to be referring strictly to engine output, he was also talking about the Wixom production numbers and not horsepower when he said "If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price". That's Wixom production output not HP output.

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance:
"The LS7 is expensive, but look what you get. It is a race motor for the street. Hmmm, wouldn't that make for a great Z28 engine?! If output is increased maybe they'll come down in price."

You said:"Output increase is for the consumer to do. Historically, Chevy engines are stout, and are given much room for opportunity in the cam, induction, and exhaust areas for improvement. IE...they are watered down. The LS3 and the LS7 as stand alone N/A motors have so much engineered to allow them to turn up the HP volume. But, with the internals designed they way there are, the LS7 is a straight in spades compared to the LS3."

It really was just a minor clarification, no big deal. It's all good!!
Clyde
Semantics ....I did refer to the LS7 engine having much room for growth power wise, and that's up to the consumer, Wixom as stated previously is currently around 5K units having the capacity for 10 K. Room is available at the inn, the vacancy light is on. Let's build 'em and use 'em! It's all good comrade..agreed...

Tags
700 hp z/28