Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
onequickshift
Two Camaros :)

Drives: 69+10 Chevy Camaro
New Phone?

I am hoping the Iphone comes to Verizon, but also looking at the new Droid. Anyone have any suggestions? The new Blackberry Storm 2, says its fixed all its problems with the first gen Storm, any input?

I am loving the new Bold and Curve because of the now gone track ball, but the Tour still uses the damn ball. I like the Tour cause it has world wide coverage and I travel alot with my families business and other matters, UK, Germany, Italy, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zland, etc.

3G connection in usa is important to me too. Hmmm, and Iphone is awesome as a novelty in itself, and with the droid just about to launch begs the question whats going to be wrong with it cause its a new phone and offering?

Any thoughts?

Right now I am leaning more towards The Blackberry Tour simply because it is fast, has world wide usability and can browse web moderately fine. Iphone has best looking feel when browsing web, myspace, facebook, fickr, model mayhem, camaro5.

Hmmm....lots to think about, teathering is also a want, since my current BB serves as internet connection for my netbook.

Anyone else have an opinion? (Please keep it friendly.)

So finally my 69' has a buddy in the garage. Bought at insurance auction, smashed up face, and needing lots of tlc. He's all better now. Not quite the BRAND new Camaro I was aiming for, but perfect. Now I don't need to buy one, having to strip it and rebuild. Stock motor is going into something else. New body parts, new heart. He's waiting to cruise to Sema

onequickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I'm a big fan of the storm 2, but thats just my 2 cents.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
ozman2005

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I haven't played with the new Storm2, but have been following the Droid very closely. Pretty much everyone that has a review unit loves it. I am a die-hard Blackberry fan and have had the Curve for the last year or so and love it. But I am going to get the Droid on Friday because I'm a techie and love to try out new stuff, and I haven't seen anything recently that has made me want to get rid of the Curve. If all the reviews hold true, the Droid has a very promising future. I think it ultimately comes down to your personal preference. Do you want a touch screen? If you don't need a physical keyboard, then I'd say go for the Storm2 or HTC Imagio. If a touch screen doesn't matter, then I'd go with the Tour.

Past:
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Silver Ice Metallic w/ Cyber Gray Rally Stripe package, Inferno Orange interior, factory "perma-grin"
VIN: 2G1FT1EW1A9108504
Delivered 7.7.09
ozman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozman2005 View Post
I haven't played with the new Storm2, but have been following the Droid very closely. Pretty much everyone that has a review unit loves it. I am a die-hard Blackberry fan and have had the Curve for the last year or so and love it. But I am going to get the Droid on Friday because I'm a techie and love to try out new stuff, and I haven't seen anything recently that has made me want to get rid of the Curve. If all the reviews hold true, the Droid has a very promising future. I think it ultimately comes down to your personal preference. Do you want a touch screen? If you don't need a physical keyboard, then I'd say go for the Storm2 or HTC Imagio. If a touch screen doesn't matter, then I'd go with the Tour.
CNBC was saying the Droid has nothing but geek apeal over starwars type stuff. That no one has anything to compete with Apple as long as they have the apps store.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

I'm waiting for the Droid to come out, simply because I think Verizon has the best cell service out there. May wait for a while for the makers to work out the "bugs" in the early models.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
diddiyo

Drives: .
i'm getting the droid. my local verizon store is holding one for me to pick up this friday.

i've been looking at phones for weeks/months now. right now i have a stoneage motorola razr. but while the iphone is nice (but comes with the big drawback of at&t) the palm pre's build quality is so poor it might fall apart every second and the htc hero seems to be "ok", after reading reviews of the phone and watching videos of android 2.0 and the google maps navigation tool (i don't have a GPS yet) etc i have to say the droid is the phone i will be getting.

btw, at&t is suing verizon over their "there is a map for that" ads. reality is a bitch isn't it.

Last edited by diddiyo; 11-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I have no complaints with my iphone 3G or 3GS. AT&T service is good, 3G coverage maybe lacking in less than metropolitan areas.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
egill

Drives: 2010 4-Runner
Tour 2 "may be" coming out during the holidays. It will have Wifi and a trackpad to replace the trackball.
egill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I have no complaints with my iphone 3G or 3GS. AT&T service is good, 3G coverage maybe lacking in less than metropolitan areas.
we dont get at&t at my house here or at the house in florida. i want the iphone so bad (i have an itouch) but its not happening until it comes to verizon... *sigh*
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
if only you could the pre...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
ozman2005

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
CNBC was saying the Droid has nothing but geek apeal over starwars type stuff. That no one has anything to compete with Apple as long as they have the apps store.
The iphone and app store definitely has a place in the cell phone industry. I think the Droid, as well as a lot of the other touch screen phones that run various operating systems are trying to offer an alternative to the iphone. In the end, it's up to each individual person and their needs as to which phone/platform they choose. I don't believe that the answer to everything is the iphone, which many Apple fanboys seem to think (not saying you are, just making a general statement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by egill View Post
Tour 2 "may be" coming out during the holidays. It will have Wifi and a trackpad to replace the trackball.
Maybe, but I highly doubt it. The Tour just launched a couple months ago and VZW & RIM are generally very slow to introduce new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
if only you could the pre...
The Pre is coming to VZW "early next year" according to a tweet from VZW themselves. But, I have a feeling that after the Droid launches, even though the Pre is a great phone it will not look nearly as attractive.

Past:
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Silver Ice Metallic w/ Cyber Gray Rally Stripe package, Inferno Orange interior, factory "perma-grin"
VIN: 2G1FT1EW1A9108504
Delivered 7.7.09
ozman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
The storm can run Dynolicious - what other apps do you need?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
egill

Drives: 2010 4-Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozman2005 View Post
The iphone and app store definitely has a place in the cell phone industry. I think the Droid, as well as a lot of the other touch screen phones that run various operating systems are trying to offer an alternative to the iphone. In the end, it's up to each individual person and their needs as to which phone/platform they choose. I don't believe that the answer to everything is the iphone, which many Apple fanboys seem to think (not saying you are, just making a general statement).

Maybe, but I highly doubt it. The Tour just launched a couple months ago and VZW & RIM are generally very slow to introduce new models.

The Pre is coming to VZW "early next year" according to a tweet from VZW themselves. But, I have a feeling that after the Droid launches, even though the Pre is a great phone it will not look nearly as attractive.

On the Tour it was orginally scheduled for 1st quarter of 2010 but "rumors" are out that they may push production for the holiday season. But you never know.
egill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
jolusk

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT RS... soon
IMO it depends on what you really want out of the phone. If you want a phone that works pretty much anywhere in the United states and has a lot of bells and whistles and the phone piece is not the most important feature then get the droid. I friend of mine has been waiting for it to come out and has a friend that works for Verizon that has a demo unit. He said that it seems pretty solid and is very quick. As long as their are no major flaws with the Android 2.0 OS it should be a great phone. If you want a phone that will work on almost any network get a Blackberry or some other multiband phone. A Blackberry world phone will work on CDMA, GSM, etc. networks but it not really meant for multimedia apps. Motorola is releasing a GSM version of the droid for Europe but it won't be out for a while and apparently not available in the US. I currently have an iPhone 3G and I am thinking about getting the droid. I want the freedom to use the phone how I want with the apps that I want and not just how Apple thinks I should use the phone. I am willing to accept the risk that an untested app may cause issues with the phone. It is no different than running freeware on a PC.
3300 = Scheduled For Production - 10/12/2009
3400 = Broadcast - 10/27/2009
3800 = Produced - 10/30/2009
4150 = Invoiced
4200 = Shipped 10/30/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer 11/10/2009
6000 = Delivered To Customer 11/11/2009
jolusk is offline   Reply With Quote