Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #43
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
^^^ What he said.

Ok boys and girls- here's the short and long of it. (for better or worse)

The entire Camaro line is set up JIT (just in time). If you need a replacement part and none are available, they will NOT pull it off the line. What happens is your order goes in with the next "stock" order for the line. Sometimes you catch it just right depending on the part and it's only a few days to a week; other times, they just got their line shipment in and the next isn't due in for a month depending on the part.

Some dealers are finally getting smart enough to order what they see as common parts knowing that the wait could be extensive; but some are also charging extra for a stocking fee- they really shouldn't but some do.

In any case, even with the JIT, I would expect within the next 6-12 months that most dealers will have 3-5 day access to the most "commonly damaged" parts- rims, headlight assemblies, side mirrors, rear bumper, etc.
thank god this community has people with some common sense or rather knowhow.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #44
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
you do know if they give you just one person the part you need, they need to do it for everyone...

and before long, there's an issue with production.

believe me, i know the wait hurts (i've been waiting for a speaker to come in since oct) but it's in the better good of all concerned (current and future owners) that things go the way they're supposed it.

sorry you needed the parts to begin with.
My car arrived without the body kit in July... still havent gotten it...
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #45
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
Just for the record, they will pull from the line. I talked directly to spac and they confirmed it. Also I managed to get the tracking number and my part shipped overnight from Scarborough, ON. Also, don't even try to tell that you have a bad dealer if they tell you its on back order. These parts a JIT,there are very few on hand in warehouses. Also, any dealer can search all dealers nationwide and tell you who has what on hand. I had 4 dealers in 3 states check this for me. Don't think they are all in on the conspiracy to hold parts. A big part of the recent holdup has been that GM was on a 2 week shutdown. When they shutdown, the suppliers do also. Unless you have an open spac case for a part, you will not get it until there is a general shipment to a warehouse. You dealer probably will not open the spac until you harass them a little. Best of luck to everyone waiting on parts. I'm picking my baby up tonight after 4 weeks in the shop!!!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #46
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Quote:
The entire Camaro line is set up JIT (just in time). . . . . In any case, even with the JIT, I would expect within the next 6-12 months that most dealers will have 3-5 day access to the most "commonly damaged" parts- rims, headlight assemblies, side mirrors, rear bumper, etc.
no doubt the JIT is true; also known as "Lean Manufacturing" or "Toyota Production System"

however, whatever you call it, these methods still involve planning ahead since the suppliers need some clue how many parts to make, so they can order the right stuff from their suppliers, so they can deliver them to the line on time

so that planning ahead should include some reasonable estimate for spare parts; and quick response to changes is key -- as soon as the actual demand does not match the forecast, there should be a quick adjustment; and in the end the response should be in that 3-5 day range, not weeks or months

if the dealer doesn't send the signal to the planners, then the whole system falls apart; that may be what is going on

Last edited by Bert; 01-08-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: more
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #47
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_2SS View Post
Just for the record, they will pull from the line. I talked directly to spac and they confirmed it. Also I managed to get the tracking number and my part shipped overnight from Scarborough, ON. Also, don't even try to tell that you have a bad dealer if they tell you its on back order. These parts a JIT,there are very few on hand in warehouses. Also, any dealer can search all dealers nationwide and tell you who has what on hand. I had 4 dealers in 3 states check this for me. Don't think they are all in on the conspiracy to hold parts. A big part of the recent holdup has been that GM was on a 2 week shutdown. When they shutdown, the suppliers do also. Unless you have an open spac case for a part, you will not get it until there is a general shipment to a warehouse. You dealer probably will not open the spac until you harass them a little. Best of luck to everyone waiting on parts. I'm picking my baby up tonight after 4 weeks in the shop!!!
No they will not and I can have at least three Oshawa workers confirm it. They will never pull a dedicated part from the line at Oshawa. If there is stock because the supplier over-shipped, that's another story. But to do anything that could stop the production of another car for a part? Never. Even those few cars that fail final QC and need a part have to wait for a new part to come in from the applicable supplier. That's a fact.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #48
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
Quote:
No they will not and I can have at least three Oshawa workers confirm it.....
Well, thats what they told me. Don't know what to tell you. Either way, it did come from Canada overnight international priority fedex. Maybe its not actually the line but their inventory. Frankly at this point I'm just glad to have it no matter where it came from!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #49
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_2SS View Post
Well, thats what they told me. Don't know what to tell you. Either way, it did come from Canada overnight international priority fedex. Maybe its not actually the line but their inventory. Frankly at this point I'm just glad to have it no matter where it came from!
Agreed.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #50
baumy2eagle
Baumy2eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 96 GMC Jimmy
Send a message via Yahoo to baumy2eagle
last month someone reversed their F250 into the front right part of my camaro and messed up the bumper, turning signal light, headlight, and grill... $1866 worth of damage....just got a call yesterday saying parts were in and wowsers that makes me happy cuz i thought it would take at least a month to get the head light....goin in on Monday to make it look beautiful again....i'm gonna miss it for a couple days :( hope yours is fixed soon
4200- 9/09/09
Brian Dean Baumgartner
voice over artist for movie trailers
imaging and liners for music
KIXS 108 Morning Show
http://www.myspace.com/baumy2eagleproductions

http://www.kixs.com
baumy2eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #51
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Damn this thread is a mess.

My $0.02... I understand that they are producing J.I.T. (First time I heard that term was this thread, learn some new everyday). But I don't understand why they can't for one day month, pause production (not even for a full day if needed, I don't see it taking that log) and just make some parts to keep a small portion on side-stock for existing owners. I know that slowing production is such a "no no", but seriously. Would pausing for half a day, or even one day at worst, really kill production to make sure that that have some inventory of parts? And if it happens that no more parts are needed that month to refill stock, then no need to pause production. I know there is probably logistical things to be concerned with, I am not in the industry so I do not know if my idea would cause problems. Just as a consumer, logically speaking, I don't see why something like this would be an issue?

Customer service is a big part of keeping existing clients happy to come back again. Pissing off clients because parts aren't avaialble for weeks or worse, months...is just unacceptable to me. Especially when it means you can't drive the car you are paying for!

::Steps off the soap box:: Ok, I'm done.... NEXT!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #52
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekkGuy View Post

My $0.02... I understand that they are producing J.I.T. (First time I heard that term was this thread, learn some new everyday). But I don't understand why they can't for one day month, pause production (not even for a full day if needed, I don't see it taking that log) and just make some parts to keep a small portion on side-stock for existing owners. I know that slowing production is such a "no no", but seriously. Would pausing for half a day, or even one day at worst, really kill production to make sure that that have some inventory of parts? And if it happens that no more parts are needed that month to refill stock, then no need to pause production. I know there is probably logistical things to be concerned with, I am not in the industry so I do not know if my idea would cause problems. Just as a consumer, logically speaking, I don't see why something like this would be an issue?

Customer service is a big part of keeping existing clients happy to come back again. Pissing off clients because parts aren't avaialble for weeks or worse, months...is just unacceptable to me. Especially when it means you can't drive the car you are paying for!

::Steps off the soap box:: Ok, I'm done.... NEXT!
You are absolutely correct in your thinking that pissing off customers due to lack of parts isn't really a way to do business. However, as with most large corporations nowadays, in the long run it's the bean counters that run things.

The whole purpose of JIT is to not have inventory cost; having parts readily available defeats that purpose. So these companies- not just GM- make their stockholders happy by reducing costs and the trade-off is pissing off their customers. Smart move, right?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #53
Bert
synergy-green with envy

yes, JIT, Lean, TPS, whatever method they use, it comes down to priorities: do they make servicing existing customers a priority or not? Or do they put higher priority on selling more cars?

One other comment about JIT/lean/TPS -- most of these systems use a physical inventory system called a "KANBAN" -- the way it works is there is a small bin of parts; the parts are taken from that bin as they are used; and when the number of parts in the bin drops below a set minimum, they go order more. So -- if the repair parts for the existing customer are never pulled from the bin, it won't trigger the order for more . . . so it comes back to giving the customer the parts he needs and giving priority to that over new production.

then again if the order never goes from the dealer to the factory, then nothing will happen
Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #54
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
You know as much as I love this car, I do think sometimes people just cut GM way too much slack because they are TOO in love with it. I think the parts problems with the car could have been foreseen, and it is going to leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths when it comes time to choose their next car. There have also been some problems with the fit and finish/attention to detail on the Camaro that people just seem to brush off because we should all just 'go easy' on GM and give them a break. Quite frankly these sort of constant issues are why their market share has steadily trended downward to begin with... I could honestly see GM being a much more minor player than they are now in 10 yrs. Just my 2c
What are you talking about his car wasn't defected to being with it was hit(damaged) and he's trying to get replacement parts that are on backorder. Way to go off about something thats not even pertaining to the thread.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #55
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
What are you talking about his car wasn't defected to being with it was hit(damaged) and he's trying to get replacement parts that are on backorder. Way to go off about something thats not even pertaining to the thread.
I think it is very pertinent -- if GM wants to keep their customers happy, they need to provide service after the sale; that includes having spare parts available, regardless of the reason why the parts are needed

GM's decision to let this customer wait while the parts are on "backorder" while they continue to make cars with the same parts is the issue

Somewhere earlier in the thread I think somebody pointed out that it was really a dealer issue, not a GM factory issue . . . but the dealers are still a key link in the chain to keep customers happy . . . . there was a big uproar about GM killing off a bunch of their dealers; maybe they need to kill off some more, or hold them to higher standards
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #56
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I think it is very pertinent -- if GM wants to keep their customers happy, they need to provide service after the sale; that includes having spare parts available, regardless of the reason why the parts are needed

GM's decision to let this customer wait while the parts are on "backorder" while they continue to make cars with the same parts is the issue

Somewhere earlier in the thread I think somebody pointed out that it was really a dealer issue, not a GM factory issue . . . but the dealers are still a key link in the chain to keep customers happy . . . . there was a big uproar about GM killing off a bunch of their dealers; maybe they need to kill off some more, or hold them to higher standards